75 Gallon Planted - Page 18 - The Planted Tank Forum
 363Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #256 of 263 (permalink) Old 04-15-2020, 07:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
The algae on old weak leaves not going to go away, just trim them off. As long as new leaves are staying fresh and clean your on the right path. The oldest and weakest leaves are always most vulnerable.

Planting depth on crown plants and spacing of stems plants is just one of little details that planted tank keepers learn over time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #257 of 263 (permalink) Old 04-16-2020, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
The algae on old weak leaves not going to go away, just trim them off. As long as new leaves are staying fresh and clean your on the right path. The oldest and weakest leaves are always most vulnerable.

Planting depth on crown plants and spacing of stems plants is just one of little details that planted tank keepers learn over time.
Perfect, I am doing a water change today so I will go ahead and trim those leaves off....

75 Gallon Planted Fresh Water Tank
Fluval FX6 & 406 Filters / 2 x Fluval Plant 3.0 LED Lights
CO2Art CO2 Regulator w/DIY Grigg Reactor
Seneye+ Tank Monitoring System / Atlas Scientific Hydroponic Monitoring System
post #258 of 263 (permalink) Old 05-01-2020, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Hey Everyone - I just thought I would check in with an update. In keeping with some very good advice here, I have made zero changes to my dosing, cleaning and water change patterns to keep things stable with my tank and to see what (if anything) I really need to change. The tank continue to grow very fast and require a lot of trimming. I thought I was trimming too much but as it turns out , it all grows back so fast it is just amazing:

So my son and I took several hours yesterday cleaning up and trimming up the tank and then doing our weekly water change. I am still doing about 60% a week with dosed RODI and with a filter cleanout once per month for both filters.

In other news, in the end, my daughters opted for hamsters instead of fish so my son who helps with the tank ended up with the new 5-gallon tank in his room. I used roughly 50% new and 50% existing substrate from our 75-gallon tank, plants from the 75-gallon and bio-media out of our canister filter from the tank. We then filled the tank with dosed RODI and immediately added 7 small, inexpensive fish. None of them have died as of yet, so I think using existing stuff actually prevented the need to cycle the tank in a traditional manner. He is very happy. We are going to run the tank for a few months with the existing fish before moving them to the main tank and getting the fish he really wants, however, he is not sure that that is going to be right now.

On the programming front, I am making great progress on our Hydroponic/Irrigation control system. The backend is Python, SQLAlchemy (accessing MySQL and InfluxDB), Flask, Apache and thousands of lines of CSS. I have most of the major core irrigation framework completed and have been working on refactoring, learning SQLAlchemy, dealing with all the nuances of actually scheduling and running specific jobs, conflicting schedule management, and instant feedback using Flask Flash messages and css. I have been playing around with how I want to manage scheduled jobs and spent a lot of time working on and setting up APScheduler and interfacing Neptune (my control software) with it, and overall job management. It is an extremely robust scheduling platform and I am leaning towards its use as opposed to say a crontab style approach, but I am still playing around with my various options. Since all of my jobs are stored in a MySQL database, plugging in the scheduling end should be pretty simple once I decide which direction to go.

I spent a lot of time on system management and error checking around the availability of old fish tank water stored in a 300-gallon IBC tote. This includes pump management, zone management, water availability both before and during a scheduled job, the best way to monitor water levels in a 300-gallon tote, automation of selecting the appropriate water source, tracking overall, and per-zone water usage and more. Right now the system is lightning fast as it utilizes flask, apache, and almost 100% of the button changes and interactions are done via CSS as opposed to images of buttons. The overall design is based completely around using a cell phone web browser as it's the interface. Since I have zero experience writing apps for cell phones, I am sticking with a web-based approach.

As I shared with you before, this system will also be running my tank water change and chiller systems albeit not in a 'fully automated' mode, just as a system manager. The goal will be to automate the chiller operation between the fish tank (as primary), our RODI storage tank, and our Hydroponic solution tank. I have selected a Penguin chiller, shooting for about 1.5HP after talking with them and discussing overall heat rejection and delta-T loads. My only concern at this point is switching between chilling say our hydroponic solution with all of the nutrients the plants need and going back to chilling the fish tank water. Right now I am working on the algorithm that will never switch directly from hydroponic chilling to tank chilling but rather would "flush" the lines with RODI water back into my hydroponic tank before switching. I am likely overthinking the problem and the solution, but hey, I have time on my hands so why not!! The problem is that I really cannot find an answer to if there would be an issue so I am not going to take a chance. I am working on a chiller class that will manage everything and prevents the possibility of pumping a hydroponic solution into my fish tank during the chilling process.

It will semi-automate the water change process by managing all of my filters, skimmers, UV-lights, and any other equipment that needs to be shut down during the water change process. I will have to manually open a valve that allows water to be pumped from the tank by the water change process and I already have most of the electrical management interface up and running on my current tank control project. Regardless of how automated I make it, someone will always be there to watch over the process so we don't kill our beloved pets.

Well, I am sure this was way more than people wanted to read, so here are some screenshots and I will leave you with that. I really enjoy having this forum to read and post to and I hope everyone is doing well during this pandemic.

Greggz, ipkiss, rzn7z7 and 4 others like this.

post #259 of 263 (permalink) Old 05-14-2020, 05:29 AM
Planted Member

75 Gallon Planted

Tanks doing great, kinda exited to see your aquarium evolve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #260 of 263 (permalink) Old 05-15-2020, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt69 View Post
Tanks doing great, kinda exited to see your aquarium evolve.
Thanks Matt -

Thanks to some great advice from the folks here it is really doing amazing. I am not making any changes right now in how I do things or what I am dosing, etc and things really seem to be growing well and the fish are all happy! Eventually we are moving to a 210 gallon tank and this is all great experience for that move.
Greggz likes this.

post #261 of 263 (permalink) Old 05-16-2020, 07:02 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD500_Pilot View Post
Thanks Matt -

Thanks to some great advice from the folks here it is really doing amazing. I am not making any changes right now in how I do things or what I am dosing, etc and things really seem to be growing well and the fish are all happy! Eventually we are moving to a 210 gallon tank and this is all great experience for that move.

Canít wait

post #262 of 263 (permalink) Old 05-16-2020, 02:40 PM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt69 View Post
Canít wait

x2 - should be a fun transition

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #263 of 263 (permalink) Old 05-17-2020, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1 View Post
x2 - should be a fun transition
Well, I am more than a little worried about the big change, but like everything, I am sure it will be a learning curve.
Immortal1 likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode