145" long tank - Page 5 - The Planted Tank Forum
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 73 (permalink) Old 05-18-2020, 07:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
so I test well water and gh is 8 and kh is 8...possible?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 73 (permalink) Old 05-18-2020, 04:07 PM
Algae Grower

That is pretty good. kH is a little high for some things but in general that is pretty middle of the road. With a kH of 8 I am assuming your pH is a good bit above neutral so you will either have to pH your water down or avoid acid loving species like discus.

In general my kH goes down with my pH. For my hard water tanks I use tap water (similar parameters to yours, suitable for guppies, rainbows, neocaridinia, ect). For my soft water/south american tanks I use RO water and remineralize to gh ~8 and kh ~3-4 then I use seachem acid buffer to bring the pH down to about 6.8.

Remineralizing and pH'ing is a constant chore and it makes your system arguably less stable. Using your well/tap water straight would make your life easier but your plants might not do quite as well. Lots of options!

Bump: Just read you previous quote about angels neons ect. These are south american and will appreciate a pH at or below 7 and softer water. Not saying they wont survive in your well water, but you will have better success choosing different fish or changing your water chemistry.

I would suggest you look at making your tank a rainbowfish community tank. They are a absolutely gorgeous group of fish, very rewarding, and it will be less of a headache to keep. because your tank is so big, changing your water chemistry would be a chore and a cost I personally would rather not do.

Good Luck!!
post #63 of 73 (permalink) Old 05-20-2020, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

so i test now ro water gh is 0 ..now is better?
because i need lot of wood and stone for tank ( in my country not have good wood ) do You know where to buy cheaper snake or red moor wood or seiryu stone?
In UK is selling with price of 50 euro/ pieces...now search something cheaper…
will need cca 100 kg stone and lot of wood...

post #64 of 73 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 01:23 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomislav Mirt View Post
so i test now ro water gh is 0 ..now is better?
because i need lot of wood and stone for tank ( in my country not have good wood ) do You know where to buy cheaper snake or red moor wood or seiryu stone?
In UK is selling with price of 50 euro/ pieces...now search something cheaper…
will need cca 100 kg stone and lot of wood...
Hard scape is pretty pricey for what it is. And no, gh of 0 is not good for fish or plants. You can add hardscape as you go. Maybe get the tank cycling and look around!
post #65 of 73 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

so,now will need to mix ro with tap water...ok that is no problem....
HerpsAndHerbs likes this.
post #66 of 73 (permalink) Old 05-25-2020, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I having trouble with layout...i have ( before few years idee) that do 3 layout in my tank...maybe jungle ,forest and amazona where lot of plants are on same parameters...what think about that?
still having trouble one week drawing but can not take what want because my tank is too long for get good deep..will see...
post #67 of 73 (permalink) Old 06-04-2020, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

so now i put some substrate,sand,rocks and plant in basket and see HUGE price uf....How is experience with wood from ebay or similar web?
Is this good for tank ?
What about sand...can i use pool filter sand for tank?
Can i put vine ( grapevine) in...somebody told me that no but still read that if is good ( 10 times boiled) that can...what is rihgt?
post #68 of 73 (permalink) Old 06-04-2020, 09:34 PM
Planted Member

If you have a nearby forest you can find wood, or go to a stream and take driftwood from there. Orchards are also a good place as most fruit trees (apple, cherry) have hard wood. Grape vine rots quickly, I wouldn't recommend it.

You can find rocks in the wild as well, whatever looks good. If you have a quarry or any mountains nearby it makes it easier to find larger rocks. It will cost a fortune to buy hardscape to fit your tank.

Guide to aquarium wood - INJAF
Tomislav Mirt likes this.
post #69 of 73 (permalink) Old 06-05-2020, 04:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
I spent a lot more money on the big new pieces of wood then I did on the actual tank! Okay my tank was bought leaking and used from Craig's List but still. I bought manzanita on eBay from local sellers so I didn't have to pay shipping.

If wood is hard and dry it's good. Doesn't matter if the live plant is poisonous as we use dried stumps and branches. The popular spider wood is azalea stumps - azalea is toxic. The vendors seem very responsible and have dried and soaked the stumps so no sap remains.

Go beach combing? Lake and river shores might have wood washed up. You would quarantine it by drying then soaking and scraping any soft stuff and bark off.

If you have a rock yard nearby see if they will sell by the pound. It's better not to have rocks that leach calcium and you definitely don't want ore of poisonous minerals but most rock is fine. I strongly advise you to make up a footprint of your tank when shopping so you don't buy things that are too small. See my big tank journal for an even fancier mockup. It really helps to see how large or small hard scape will look.

Agree about rainbow fish. Beautiful, loads of variety and they are good sized.
Tomislav Mirt likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

River Bank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

28 Lakeside, Hobbiton
post #70 of 73 (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok,i find lots of rocks like ada yamaya stones so that is very good….with wood not so lucky...will try search more...
Now get pipes for reactor ( OMG what is different in price here in Europe vs America)...pay around 350 dollars...send pictures later….
Because will put co2 reactor from enheim external filter 2215 have question.
Is it ok to connect only reactor with filter or must also go to sump ?
If go tru sump please tell me how ( dont have experience with sump)...if is this ok...then ok.

Also can somebody picture me connection enter c02 to reactor in front-is it good silicone 6mm hose?
post #71 of 73 (permalink) Old 06-17-2020, 04:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
You can either put the output from the canister and reactor into the sump right in front of the sump pump or have it go straight to the tank. I opted to have 2 returns, one from the CO2 reactor and one from the sump pump. Big tank and I wanted all the water movement I could get.

6mm sounds right, unsure about silicone. Some materials allow CO2 to leak out, do a search on that. I would make a point on the tubing, drill a hole too small for the tubing then use needlenose pliers to pull it through. Here's the basics https://rotalabutterfly.com/rex-grigg/diy-reactor.htm

The other option is to use a whole house water filter housing as a reactor. You drill a little hole for CO2 line and add a pipe/hose inside that goes nearly to the bottom. The one I had was very flimsy and cracked. PVC is much stronger.

River Bank

28 Lakeside, Hobbiton
post #72 of 73 (permalink) Old 06-24-2020, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyy View Post
You can either put the output from the canister and reactor into the sump right in front of the sump pump or have it go straight to the tank. I opted to have 2 returns, one from the CO2 reactor and one from the sump pump. Big tank and I wanted all the water movement I could get.

Yes...i will have 2 return pipe...one from pump in sump ( also return is going on 2 side on tank ) and one from canister and reactor.

6mm sounds right, unsure about silicone. Some materials allow CO2 to leak out, do a search on that. I would make a point on the tubing, drill a hole too small for the tubing then use needlenose pliers to pull it through. Here's the basics https://rotalabutterfly.com/rex-grigg/diy-reactor.htm

i did not mean on silicone more like pvc hose...i find some conection mesing and that will put in hole on reactor and on that is going hose6mm.

The other option is to use a whole house water filter housing as a reactor. You drill a little hole for CO2 line and add a pipe/hose inside that goes nearly to the bottom. The one I had was very flimsy and cracked. PVC is much stronger.
Thanks for help..
post #73 of 73 (permalink) Old 06-27-2020, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok,now i have all for start....

first main water go to RO then to storage tank....inside will get mineralized and then in tank?In this case do i need extra storage for tap water?

is it matter how many chambers have sump?No i have only 3?
I dont have experience with sump so please help...i put 2 pipe from tank to clarisea then biological filter then return pump-what else?

I will go with return on 2 side...25mm....

co2 reactor have separate eheim canister but not sure if he can push on 2 side?
Also if put co2 on return pump ( 20 000 liters) not sure if then my flow will not be good?

Please help me because i dont want something to forget or do wrong...thanks in front...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode