145" long tank - Page 5 - The Planted Tank Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-18-2020, 07:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
so I test well water and gh is 8 and kh is 8...possible?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-18-2020, 04:07 PM
Algae Grower

That is pretty good. kH is a little high for some things but in general that is pretty middle of the road. With a kH of 8 I am assuming your pH is a good bit above neutral so you will either have to pH your water down or avoid acid loving species like discus.

In general my kH goes down with my pH. For my hard water tanks I use tap water (similar parameters to yours, suitable for guppies, rainbows, neocaridinia, ect). For my soft water/south american tanks I use RO water and remineralize to gh ~8 and kh ~3-4 then I use seachem acid buffer to bring the pH down to about 6.8.

Remineralizing and pH'ing is a constant chore and it makes your system arguably less stable. Using your well/tap water straight would make your life easier but your plants might not do quite as well. Lots of options!

Bump: Just read you previous quote about angels neons ect. These are south american and will appreciate a pH at or below 7 and softer water. Not saying they wont survive in your well water, but you will have better success choosing different fish or changing your water chemistry.

I would suggest you look at making your tank a rainbowfish community tank. They are a absolutely gorgeous group of fish, very rewarding, and it will be less of a headache to keep. because your tank is so big, changing your water chemistry would be a chore and a cost I personally would rather not do.

Good Luck!!
post #63 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-20-2020, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

so i test now ro water gh is 0 ..now is better?
because i need lot of wood and stone for tank ( in my country not have good wood ) do You know where to buy cheaper snake or red moor wood or seiryu stone?
In UK is selling with price of 50 euro/ pieces...now search something cheaperů
will need cca 100 kg stone and lot of wood...

post #64 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 01:23 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomislav Mirt View Post
so i test now ro water gh is 0 ..now is better?
because i need lot of wood and stone for tank ( in my country not have good wood ) do You know where to buy cheaper snake or red moor wood or seiryu stone?
In UK is selling with price of 50 euro/ pieces...now search something cheaperů
will need cca 100 kg stone and lot of wood...
Hard scape is pretty pricey for what it is. And no, gh of 0 is not good for fish or plants. You can add hardscape as you go. Maybe get the tank cycling and look around!
post #65 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

so,now will need to mix ro with tap water...ok that is no problem....
HerpsAndHerbs likes this.
post #66 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-25-2020, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I having trouble with layout...i have ( before few years idee) that do 3 layout in my tank...maybe jungle ,forest and amazona where lot of plants are on same parameters...what think about that?
still having trouble one week drawing but can not take what want because my tank is too long for get good deep..will see...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode