97Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-14-2020, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-14-2020, 07:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)

Greggz, burr740 and Maryland Guppy like this.
post #48 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-12-2020, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Way over the melt, I've been in propagation mode. Mainly uaupes and rio 2006, really hoping a sao Gabriel will pop up. But I must admit, aside from the originals I have groups blended. Both 2006 and uaupes. I'll tell when they're mothers. So in my goal for the tank, I have sold lots but tried not to sell those as well. My goal same, short, bushed out, mostly the whole tank. I do want to add a red I can put on the side. Id prefer pantanal but I can't reach my goal of getting it red, like real red/pink for a good length down. So I've sold some syns, mainly giants, they were rather hard to get rid of and remained getting taller and taller for some time, a little over a foot long and sideshoots at the very bottom mainly, a few exceptions.

So on to propagation, uaupes and 2006, all same concept, trim and spread as fast as the shoots become available, trim and spread tops, about half and inch crown. Fill in gaps missed as well. So if I can find a small space between stems I plant there, when all grown out you get a real nice good look. They all can overcrowd very well. I'd suggest good light. I trim them with my fingers, even with clipped nails you can pinch them together to a scissor type. Urea could be the quicker way to achievement, Im dosing so much macros already, I can try a little. Bottoms sideshoot a lot, takes a few days to see a tiny baby split. The plants keep me really entertained.

Been messing around with photoperiods. tried 12 hrs one day, I had it all timed at 6, now I've bumped it to 8hrs on timer. I really want that shoot production and as long (I have algae) as algae is not spreading, its all good to me. If I have algae that doesn't really go anywhere then i'm fine not even managing it. I've noticed this, old stems even that reach the surface for all that gas are more prone to algae than any of my trimmed stuff. Stuff in front and in corners are prone to mild algae stuff too. I've noticed in overdosing macros that leaf growth was a lot thicker, but algae was a lot thicker and harder to remove too, it stuck more, just say in overdosing that algae thrives more and is very healthy. Still the spread that worries me does not go very far.
5/23/2020

5/30/2020

6/6/2020

6/12/2020

6/15/2020

6/19/2020

6/23/2020

6/23/2020

6/23/2020

6/24/2020

6/25/2020

6/29/2020

6/29/2020

6/29/2020

6/30/2020

7/6/2020

7/11/2020

ps, my third tank, I've added urea to see if uaupes would melt. Alll plants in that tank grew a lot faster, but algae grew too, whispy s**t easily swayed in fact if I used algae fix it likely all be gone, I do not recommend algae fix for utricularia heterosepala, only plant that melted in the tank with that use. The tank is now just a holder of syn, overcrowded, a sell tank as you will, a swap species back and forth sort.

post #49 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-12-2020, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
ps, my third tank, I've added...
5/23/2020

5/26/2020

5/26/2020

5/29/2020

5/29/2020

6/4/2020 x7 pics

6/10/2020 x7 pics

6/28/2020 cut all splits down and all good stems together and redo x5 pics

7/3/2020 update some growth x5 pics

7/11/2020 x3 pics

Greggz and rzn7z7 like this.
post #50 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-13-2020, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

So when the favorite of my syns kept melting, I had to make use of other syns as filler for the whole tank.
Quote:
Way over the melt, I've been in propagation mode. Mainly uaupes and rio 2006, really ho
Here are center progressions of my tank
5/17/2020

5/22/2020

5/26/2020

5/29/2020

5/30/2020

6/3/2020

6/6/2020

6/10/2020

6/12/2020

6/15/2020

6/19/2020

6/25/2020

6/30/2020

7/2/2020

7/2/2020

7/2/2020

7/5/2020

7/7/2020

7/7/2020

7/8/2020

7/11/2020

7/11/2020

7/12/2020

7/12/2020

7/12/2020

7/12/2020
Greggz and Maryland Guppy like this.
post #51 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-24-2020, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I don't know if i mentioned Wong, but he is the one that helped me get through the melt. I told him my situation and right away he gave me a link on the 2 hr aquarist. I learned that the powdered broken down soil is no good. It can cause melting, bba and other algaes. So looking at my soil, its mostly all powder now. There is also seems sulfur build up by the smell.
I had the last two bags of malaya soil 3L on this earth, now gone. The plan I had
Fill water jugs ro water-always gotta have spare water on hand for any situation, for me is mostly for the sumps evaporation.
Pull any melted plants
Pull all syns and try to best identify them by 2006 and uaupes
Catch the fish
Siphon the substrate a bit, removing bits of powder bits of floating algae
Wipe glass
cap soil
plant
This was all done overnight. I mostly drink redbull to get me through.
well bummer, imgur or my imgur is down

Greggz, zivvel, rzn7z7 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by DennisSingh; 07-27-2020 at 05:42 AM. Reason: added pictureds
post #52 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-24-2020, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Youtube working though, not much videos to share
7/17/2020
7/23/2020
Greggz and burr740 like this.
post #53 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-27-2020, 05:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

New soil. The melting starts and continues
New melt each day. I am manually removing stems that have leaf melt trying to stop the spread. This is disheartening, I just don't understand it.
It could be something with ammonia, fish, dosing
It could be the plants are not established, they're all chopped up, no root systems developed yet
Could be something leaching into my ro water
Cannot be gh/calcium deficiency, I add on most water changes, it ranges but never past 3, i test in a blue moon, or like each month
Doubt its co2, nor intense lighting
I hate this same pattern, it may get kush again, but then i'll get the disease again, i just don't understand it.
It was better with one or two plant melt in the powdered substrate
This is what I had before when the sub was all powdery

heres what im dealing with, video sums it up too
all taken 7/27/2020

burr740 likes this.

Last edited by DennisSingh; 07-28-2020 at 05:50 AM. Reason: added pics, vid
post #54 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-27-2020, 07:22 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hi Dennis,

It's me. Nam.
We talked on FB the other day.
Which kind of Syn would you recommend to use as a background plant?
Around 12" high.
Can Negro giant or Largo grande grow that long?
post #55 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-27-2020, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nntnam View Post
Hi Dennis,

It's me. Nam.
We talked on FB the other day.
Which kind of Syn would you recommend to use as a background plant?
Around 12" high.
Can Negro giant or Largo grande grow that long?
Hey buddy,
Both lago and rio negro giant can get there. Lago will be faster. Both are mid ground I'd say. Giant especially midground, it will keep getting taller but slowly. Getting my giants to 12" - 13" took months. Lago is a taller grower. Both look wonderful in groups and grown in unison.

A long lenghty stem vs a compact bushy lago could make all the difference in your scape.

Nutrient load and lighting spectrum seem to determine bushiness, compactness, thickness, lenghty lanky...

For background I recommend belem, manaus, madeira, all fast all gotta keep trimming. Giants dont need much of trimming
Regards
Dennis
Greggz and Maryland Guppy like this.
post #56 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

So I went from rapid propagation to rapid decline. I'm pulling syn out just as fast as I split them. So all that propagation is losing stems daily. I switched some to my amazonia lite tank(sell tank) thats a bit aged soil. For safety and saving/storing. As of current I am not happy with any of my three tanks. My moss frag tank is overstocked with corydoras, blue dream shrimp, bluestar endlers, and pseudomugil gertrudae. I will eventually give away my corydoras, it hurt, cause they so darn cute, and my endlers, maybe transfer some to another tank, and keep the other two species. Reason being that the waste just keeps accumulating. I can clean a moss on driftwood and within a few hours the debris is back all over. So I made the major mistake of overstocking my tank. My main syn tank, is the most worked on, but you know repetitively ...melting. And my sell tank, is not selling fast enough, just so overcrowded. I'm not satisfied at all but got plenty of time to turn them around fast.

Recap
Main tank
20 g long
bridgelux led over
co2 reactor co2 atomizer diffusions, gla reg, sump
malaya aquasoil
pure ro, sometime rodi
remin caso4/mgso4
water changes
ei dosing
7/31/2020

Moss frag tank
acrylic 56 g custom, 36x30x12
wetdry filtration, purely bioballs
a lot of sulfur buildup
pure ro water changes
remin caso4/mgs04
ati x6 bulb dimmable fixture, only use 1 channel x 2 bulbs, hung
very old malaya, africana, and more recent but still very old chinese brand aquasoil
co2 into cerges reactor, very low injection, i don't even think it matters or see a visual difference
7/24/2020

sell tank
20g long
sunsun canister filter with uv
shallow water
pure ro
odyssea t5 fixture x 4 bulbs
amazonia lite, aged, humic acid beneath
co2 into mr aqua 400 reactor, ista regulator
dosing of urea trial
7/31/2020

Greggz and Ordinary Joe like this.

Last edited by DennisSingh; 07-31-2020 at 11:05 PM. Reason: added picsinfo
post #57 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-31-2020, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Since I'm getting rid of them i might as well explain my observations.
Corydoras behavior
These guys definitely communicate. Of course they're talking smack on me when they're just all grouped up not moving, but i don't hear them so it doesn't bother me. Joking aside, this is a def social fish. In their way of communicating by means of I don't know how, theres a leader and they swim in unison, split apart, disperse, regroup. Very fun to watch. Their smell sense must be really strong as when food put in the lead will find within probably 20 seconds in my 56g squarish tank. But I saw an interesting pattern in eating food. I can see them coordinate with each other getting their share of food and then swim in back of line till they bury their barbs into the food again. Swapping and alternating its cool to see. Lay and sit as they chew food. Its very cool to have a group of the same species, swimming in unison, exploring the whole tank together and finding food. Waste is another matter, they produce a good bit. The whole group is not always together, they'll break into little shoals of 3 or more as well as regroup too. Breeding, I haven't been able to get them to breed, i heard entice them good water change and live foods, but I don't feed live foods. Got a variety of 8 kensfood sinking pellets. I've gotten habrosus to breed but that was way years ago and was never successful. Lights off and then sudden lights on, just as any fish mostly they'll be all whitish dull or something i can't describe well but they'll color backk up assuming comfortness. The elegans are midswimmers sometimes and also do the thing where they jump to the surface for that gulp of air. I was really surprised by their mobility in and out of the woods and landings. Very cool to see maneuvering.

rzn7z7 and Maryland Guppy like this.

Last edited by DennisSingh; 08-03-2020 at 06:24 AM. Reason: vids added
post #58 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-31-2020, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Throughout the day in my main tank(20 gallon long, reactor and atomizer in sump, where all the melting is happening in s grades) co2 bubbles start to build up and start multiplying. It doesn't happen right away, not instantly, but as the bubbles build they start hitting the substrate and flow back all the way to the outflow spray bar. Even with surface agitation the bubbles build up. This is a good observation that there are no dead spots.

A side tip, you can kind've gauge the nh4 leech by the amount of algae your getting. Other common ferts will not bloom algae. But there are a lot of other factors involve, so debunk.
post #59 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-03-2020, 05:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

For syngonanthus especially the higher the light as you push the plant more and more whitish centers occur. In moderate lighting with ei dosing, they'll always be full and green. My system usually involves moderate light and over enough supplementation. I believe higher and higher light shocks the plant to whitish but then rebounds through the resting period.

I see it as this, which is better
White tops, losing energy, shocks, rebounds and grows

or

Always replenished with more than enough food, on I'd say a stable speed of growth, always full color

So I've been trying a blast period. I will update. But I am always supplementing over ei on the macros.
Greggz likes this.

Tags
syngonanthus universe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode