Kings never die II - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 96Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
You know even though they grow pretty well, I still love and search out and ask people different questions about syngonanthus. Well actually no, I ask certain people about different aspects to it all, each person has their unique expertise or way and I just love talking it. I've been reading published papers on the syngonanthus and the propagation/germination of seeds. One thing needed is pollination. I cannot do this, the water would be like 3 inches high in order for the bud to emerged. The flower stalks grow very slow and very short like the plants. I'm working with a well known identifyer who is very awesome for helping me. The buds are pollinated, (these papers most likely talking terrestrial syn.), by insects. I don't know if I'm being dumb here if that's the only way plants pollinate in nature. There are a lot of scientific words that regard in the paper that I don't even know or didn't even bother to look up. Its too much, would get me exhausted in the brain quickly, so I didn't. So many scientific words, so many great words, these papers have the greatest words. I'm thinking about doing a fourth tank, most likely emmersed, or a germination chamber for seeds. Either of the two. I can't king thy crown if others are beginning to learn and grow the hard stuff with their different methods and such. Different methods, its what makes us all wrong, and all right, cause everyone has their own method to the box. I for one am stubborn in not trying out different things. In order to grow and advance I need to. I'm just too worried about algae all the time that I regress into the same routines. I've got a lot of new exciting things going on regarding aquaria, I just love these highs and passion.

P.S. they now have a sunsun canister with a lcd display and adjustable flow. getting a bit excessive technology wise aren't we? Its great, but at the same time I think its bad, especially for the beginners and novices who can't keep up with it.

P.S. isn't this a money maker? timer on your co2 regulator. Why hasn't anyone done this?

P.S. I'm pretty bummed I'm not doing well with fishes. I won't go into details. I doing fine with my low light moss tank, but other than that, I keep getting into rare fish and kill them. Its what completes the system in my opinion and I can't get them thriving. I did fine will platys.

just a pic, I'm going to slowly aquascape this one, I'm going all out.

God I've got a ton of pictures, I lost 50000+, but racking the number back up, its a pain and I'm lazy to sort them. Otherwise this post would be so much better.
Discusluv likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 02:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrungOut View Post
You know even though they grow pretty well, I still love and search out and ask people different questions about syngonanthus. Well actually no, I ask certain people about different aspects to it all, each person has their unique expertise or way and I just love talking it. I've been reading published papers on the syngonanthus and the propagation/germination of seeds. One thing needed is pollination. I cannot do this, the water would be like 3 inches high in order for the bud to emerged. The flower stalks grow very slow and very short like the plants. I'm working with a well known identifyer who is very awesome for helping me. The buds are pollinated, (these papers most likely talking terrestrial syn.), by insects. I don't know if I'm being dumb here if that's the only way plants pollinate in nature. There are a lot of scientific words that regard in the paper that I don't even know or didn't even bother to look up. Its too much, would get me exhausted in the brain quickly, so I didn't. So many scientific words, so many great words, these papers have the greatest words. I'm thinking about doing a fourth tank, most likely emmersed, or a germination chamber for seeds. Either of the two. I can't king thy crown if others are beginning to learn and grow the hard stuff with their different methods and such. Different methods, its what makes us all wrong, and all right, cause everyone has their own method to the box. I for one am stubborn in not trying out different things. In order to grow and advance I need to. I'm just too worried about algae all the time that I regress into the same routines. I've got a lot of new exciting things going on regarding aquaria, I just love these highs and passion.

P.S. they now have a sunsun canister with a lcd display and adjustable flow. getting a bit excessive technology wise aren't we? Its great, but at the same time I think its bad, especially for the beginners and novices who can't keep up with it.

P.S. isn't this a money maker? timer on your co2 regulator. Why hasn't anyone done this?

P.S. I'm pretty bummed I'm not doing well with fishes. I won't go into details. I doing fine with my low light moss tank, but other than that, I keep getting into rare fish and kill them. Its what completes the system in my opinion and I can't get them thriving. I did fine will platys.

just a pic, I'm going to slowly aquascape this one, I'm going all out.

God I've got a ton of pictures, I lost 50000+, but racking the number back up, its a pain and I'm lazy to sort them. Otherwise this post would be so much better.
If you ever have questions about fish, let me know. I cannot help you with plants, but I may be able to help with your fish.

Let me know what your keeping- some basic stats on water they are in, high tech/low tech, feeding schedules and type, other fish in tank-- and Ill try to help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy
post #18 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
If you ever have questions about fish, let me know. I cannot help you with plants, but I may be able to help with your fish.

Let me know what your keeping- some basic stats on water they are in, high tech/low tech, feeding schedules and type, other fish in tank-- and Ill try to help.

I kept platys fine in the tank. Then I went to dwarf puffers. Then Pseudomugil mellis. Before prior I tried panda loach twice. Without the co2 and without the syngonanthus conditioned tanks, I keep fish very successfully. I loved keeping discus, but you need a big tank, heavy water changes, heavy feedings of homemade beefheart as all others will not bulk them up no matter how much you feed. I got them to breed 3 times before giving up as they have to learn to raise their young. Fun stuff, only thing holding me back from ever! keeping again is the big tank.

Platys
Were fine, I noticed that if they're all surfacing at once and not trying to eat food (all the time), that the co2 is too high. So I know dial good co2 for platys. They shouldn't really be surfacing.

Dwarf puffers
These were okay only during lights off. They were surfacing and not really gasping though. During day they would just hide and I'd never see them. No deaths, I gave them back to the lfs.

Honey blue eyed
What happened here was, I got 4, plopped dropped them, actually I plop drop mostly all. I had dosed the tank prior with humic acid, and putting them in the tank, they were all f-ed up swimming but recovered. This is all lights off. I didn't do the start up for the tank this day. Turned off co2 and kept the lights off. I within a little time dosed 4 drops of gh booster made by lowkeys. I didn't check on tank till later, Found 3 dead bodies, 4rth body I cannot find.

Panda loaches,
gassed, within 2 days, lost colony. This one is obvious to me, back then I was pumping a ton of co2. Both times, I didn't understand it as I do now. The co2 that is

quick specs of tank
pure ro
very light remin, as y ou see I only add few drops
Malaya substrate, the ph is in the 5s, not with co2 on

post #19 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

post #20 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I'd love to keep corydoras again, I believe most come from soft blackwater. For my sand tank that is, however parameters are:
ph 4.2 before co2
pure ro
acidic stuff in substrate

Does anyone know the bubble substrate that I used back then? You can see it in the group of albino corydoras pic
Maryland Guppy likes this.

Last edited by DennisSingh; 01-29-2020 at 06:40 PM. Reason: bubble subs
post #21 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-31-2020, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

You can't take a factor of a planted tank and call it the main variable. I know ppl doing this with microtox if light and co2 are good then=ferts, I've seen it done with co2, but co2 utilization peaks, its not what makes the tank. If it was, then everyone can do this. I've done a wide range of moderate to higher levels of co2 with not much or no differences, I've done it with lighting. I've seen nutrients cause algae and nutrients not cause algae. It doesn't mean you should go ei. My reason that ei works so well, is that the people successful with it have a wide range of plants, plants mass as well as algae busters. Algae busters, I think the reason ei works well is that you have super fast growing plants absorbing all that gunk in the water and as well you've got the reset with water changes. When I look at my planted tank, its consuming so much resources with the amount of water changes and materials I put into the tank. These plants are like ludwigia reds and pantanal, floaters, foregrounds...
Greggz and zivvel like this.
post #22 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-31-2020, 04:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:

Does anyone know the bubble substrate that I used back then? You can see it in the group of albino corydoras pic
PhosGuard!?

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
post #23 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-31-2020, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakJimW View Post
Quote:

PhosGuard!?
Naw it's a inert sub. I think it is coral sand or something.
post #24 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-01-2020, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Uaupes vs Giant
Both species splits a lot. However if you trim giant leaves or bottom the plant, it hinders growth severely. With uaupes, it just keeps growing, splits and splits. Giant is easier of the two and has more uniform growth in groups. Uaupes will always be my favorite. Giant roots way better, Uaupes hardly roots into the soil. Rio negro 2006 roots in very well to the other two, but will get into that species when grow out more full adult plants. See in pics how uaupes can take different shape depending on water parameters
uaupes

rio 2006

Lenghty vs short
This is how I want my tank but way shorter.
overgrown but tall

short but not overgrown

In fresh Malaya, the syns(not all) will grow more lengthier. I want the main tank with all predominantly s grades and giants and maybe lago grande. I'm afraid of capping new Malaya soil and redoing the tank as I really don't want to deal with cyano and lenghty syns.

Up nextz
actual start of journal
1. main tank of syns
2. moss frag tank
3. syn propagation tank (sand)
Greggz, zivvel, rzn7z7 and 1 others like this.
post #25 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-01-2020, 11:56 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Oh gotcha, I was thinking you knew what it was and seeing if anybody could guess it haha. I thought it may have been a good use for accumulated used phosguard instead of throwing it out because it looked so similar. I guess it would be a little light to plant in tho…

Seems like a coral sand would buffer water higher if it were aragonite/calcium based, but looking around led me to this: https://www.sciencesource.com/archiv...EMID=SS2432107
Getting warmer maybe?

Beautiful plants man, I never tried Syns but enjoy looking at yours

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
post #26 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-01-2020, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakJimW View Post
Quote:
Oh gotcha, I was thinking you knew what it was and seeing if anybody could guess it haha. I thought it may have been a good use for accumulated used phosguard instead of throwing it out because it looked so similar. I guess it would be a little light to plant in tho…

Seems like a coral sand would buffer water higher if it were aragonite/calcium based, but looking around led me to this: https://www.sciencesource.com/archiv...EMID=SS2432107
Getting warmer maybe?

Beautiful plants man, I never tried Syns but enjoy looking at yours
Ya looks like it almost the same with bits here and there. Yes I forgot about the leech and it was very porous for planting. Thanks for reply.
KayakJimW likes this.
post #27 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-01-2020, 01:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Sorry, I missed this post.
Your PH is very low, as you know. Do you know what your kh/gh is? I would think fish that come from Blackwater regions: Rummynose, Black neons, neons, cardinal tetras, some corydoras, discus, Angels, etc.. would work well in your water.
Regardless of where you purchase fish and what kind, with a Ph so low I would slowely acclimate them to your water to not induce osmoregulatory shock.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy
post #28 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-02-2020, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Sorry, I missed this post.
Your PH is very low, as you know. Do you know what your kh/gh is? I would think fish that come from Blackwater regions: Rummynose, Black neons, neons, cardinal tetras, some corydoras, discus, Angels, etc.. would work well in your water.
Regardless of where you purchase fish and what kind, with a Ph so low I would slowely acclimate them to your water to not induce osmoregulatory shock.
Ty for the suggestions. I'll look into them. Kh is 0 and gh is around 1
Discusluv likes this.
post #29 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 03:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

start of journal

Tank 1, main tank

20 gallon long tank
lighting is x2 beamswork dafspec, I only use the warms, currently dimmed to 7 on each fixture
5 hour photoperiod
co2, gla regulator, mr aqua turbo diffuser, 2nd size up, I think 400 or 600
stream of bps
SunSun 402b with uv on
pure ro water, light remin (lowkeys gh booster) few drops
random water changes, random dosing

full tank shot as of 2/5/2020
as well segment shots

so now i'm back to fresh ada, growth should be ok but i'm sure lenghty unless I can do dosing different dosing regime, as well algae can/will flourish unless I keep up the water changes
well the tank looks bad anyways so here.
Steps I may or may not do
I'm gonna redo the tank
cap with Malaya soil, one 3l bag
suck up and scrape all algae on walls
add a moss wall
add wood with moss tied
add humic acid below cap
try to suck up all the powder Malaya followed by water changes
clean the filter (the flow is down quite a bit), replace fluval peat granules with new box
Maryland Guppy likes this.
post #30 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-17-2020, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

As I age into aquariums, I now just want something I can look at all day and night. Before I was sales driven, now I'm not too worried on it. Most of them they come to me instead of advertising. And each sale is a cluster patch that leaves a gap. So I'm try focus more on making my tanks look better. heck I got all the time in the world.

So steps I did:
Uproot all plants
build a moss wall (weeping)
add a wood (mini weeping, buce)
suck up all deteriorated powder of Malaya (this stuff is bad, powder dust on plants, algae cause)
scrape all bba off glass by siphon, scrape/suck
tear off algae leaves of plants
cap top with 3l of Malaya soil
cleaned the filter (sunsun canister), added new fluval peat granules to filter, tossed old stuff
water change 80-90%
replant plants

so my goal, overgrown, many splits, full grown plants, no gaps, short

2/6/20-2/8/20

Tags
syngonanthus universe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode