A 45 Gallon (high) A Saxa Tilly Inspired Tank - The Planted Tank Forum
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 05:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
A 45 Gallon (high) A Saxa Tilly Inspired Tank

Hi All,

As you may be aware, I was at the Aquatic Gardeners Convention (AGA) here in Seattle last spring. Unfortunately, because our local club was hosting the event I and I was busy working in the background and missed most of the presentations. Fortunately for attendees there are videos available on the AGA website. I have probably reviewed the presentation by Vin Kutty four times at this point and I decided to try a rich substrate / low water column fertilization tank. A couple of weeks ago I had my chance.

11/25/19 I did a ‘teardown’ of my 45-gallon high tank (36” X 12.5” X 24” high). I moved the fish to an 18 gallon Rubbermaid Roughneck storage container filled with an airstone, removed the under-gravel filter and replaced the nine (9) year old Soilmaster Select Charcoal calcined Montmorillonite clay substrate (which is discontinued).

The current set-up consists of:
1) 45 gallon high with Versa-top
2) Fluval 3.0 LED fixture; 46 watt
3) Marineland Magnum 350 filter
4) In-line CO2 diffuser
5) Aquaclear 50 HOB filter
6) Marineland 200 watt Precision Heater
7) Twenty-one (21) Size “00” Osmocote Plus root tabs
8) 40# Safe-t-sorb calcined Montmorillonite clay as substrate
First, I cleaned the tank thoroughly. Then I added the twenty-one (1) size “00” Osmocote Plus root tabs spaced on a 6” grid on the bottom. (Please disregard the 30 gallon below the 45)

Next I placed a small amount of Safe-t-sorb calcined Montmorillonite clay on top of each of the root tabs to prevent them from moving when I was adding the remainder of the substrate.

I added sufficient Safe-t-sorb so the depth at the back of the tank was 4” and the depth at the from was 2”; average about a 3” depth. This took the entire 40# bag of Safe-t-sorb.

I covered the substrate with a sheet of wax paper, put a dinner plate on top of the wax paper, and started slowing filling the tank being careful not to disturb the substrate. The water out of the tap was:
pH = 6.8; de-gassed @24 hours still 6.8
dKH = 2.0
dGH = 2.0 – 3.0

I installed the HOB filter, the Magnum 350 filter with diffuser, and the Fluval 3.0 46-watt LED fixture and even with the water slightly cloudy I measured [email protected] at the substrate level without a glass cover. The Magnum 350 filter had been running on a fully cycled tank for one week and did contain some detritus. I then turned on the filters and went to bed.

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XFluval F&P 2.0; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 and (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay

Last edited by Seattle_Aquarist; 12-10-2019 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Did post in HTML mode vs bbcode mode to see if the photo links 'stick'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 12:58 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Images are broken. Good start.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Hi @EdWiser, @Squisher and all,

Until our forum can figure out what is happening with broken photo links, I have moved this thread over to the Barr Report website. You can find the above post (with pictures) here!

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XFluval F&P 2.0; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 and (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 04:53 PM
Algae Grower

The images don't work for me either. Still interested to read how you are going about this. I read your post to the admins and understand your frustration. As a newcomer I've already learned a lot from your postings here and have been amazed at how you take the time to share and help others. I hope you don't move on, would be a terrible loss.

45g fluval bowfront tank, plant 2.0 light, 206 canister and ac30 hob filters, 5lb co2 art pro se
10g quarantine tank

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Hi @Squisher, @forumadmin,

Thank you for the kind words, I try to help others just as when I was starting out there were people here that helped me.

I am not 'moving on' from TPT at this point, however if I take the time to put together a detailed thread or post pictures of nutrient deficiencies to provide guidance to others it is beyond frustrating to have this forum make the images unviewable. I will still be here, hopefully the IT/technical department resolve this issue in a more timely manner than they have with issues in the past.
Grobbins48 and Squisher like this.

Roy_________

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 05:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
I have probably reviewed the presentation by Vin Kutty four times at this point and I decided to try a rich substrate / low water column fertilization tank. A couple of weeks ago I had my chance.
STS with root tabs is not a rich substrate???

Check here.
https://barrreport.com/threads/rotal...46#post-154643
Quagulator likes this.

Growing is not that difficult.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Hi @Maryland Guppy,

Possibly I did not make it clear. Yes this is a 'rich nutrient substrate / low water column fertilization' tank.

Roy_________

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 06:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Is the broken imaging due to the forum not supporting certain photo uploading methods as well as others?
Sorry, I haven't been following the thread so if that question has already been answered I wouldn't know.

I post photos daily through Imugr and never have an issue.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Hi @Discusluv,

So I went over to Barr Report and tried to post there as well and had the same issue. Typically I do posts using the bbcode editor mode since most website forums support it. When I went over the the Barr Report I had the same problem, broken links. However, the Barr Report website also allows the option to do posts in HTML mode. So I did the post in HTML mode and there were no broken links. I'm going to try doing the first post in this thread using HTML instead of bbcode and see if the photo links are maintained.

Bump: Hi All,

As you may be aware, I was at the Aquatic Gardeners Convention (AGA) here in Seattle last spring. Unfortunately, because our local club was hosting the event I and I was busy working in the background and missed most of the presentations. Fortunately for attendees there are videos available on the AGA website. I have probably reviewed the presentation by Vin Kutty four times at this point and I decided to try a rich substrate / low water column fertilization tank. A couple of weeks ago I had my chance.

11/25/19 I did a ‘teardown’ of my 45-gallon high tank (36” X 12.5” X 24” high). I moved the fish to an 18 gallon Rubbermaid Roughneck storage container filled with an airstone, removed the under-gravel filter and replaced the nine (9) year old Soilmaster Select Charcoal calcined Montmorillonite clay substrate (which is discontinued).

The current set-up consists of:
1) 45 gallon high with Versa-top
2) Fluval 3.0 LED fixture; 46 watt
3) Marineland Magnum 350 filter
4) In-line CO2 diffuser
5) Aquaclear 50 HOB filter
6) Marineland 200 watt Precision Heater
7) Twenty-one (21) Size “00” Osmocote Plus root tabs
8) 40# Safe-t-sorb calcined Montmorillonite clay as substrate
First, I cleaned the tank thoroughly. Then I added the twenty-one (1) size “00” Osmocote Plus root tabs spaced on a 6” grid on the bottom. (Please disregard the 30 gallon below the 45)

Next I placed a small amount of Safe-t-sorb calcined Montmorillonite clay on top of each of the root tabs to prevent them from moving when I was adding the remainder of the substrate.

I added sufficient Safe-t-sorb so the depth at the back of the tank was 4” and the depth at the from was 2”; average about a 3” depth. This took the entire 40# bag of Safe-t-sorb.

I covered the substrate with a sheet of wax paper, put a dinner plate on top of the wax paper, and started slowing filling the tank being careful not to disturb the substrate. The water out of the tap was:
pH = 6.8; de-gassed @24 hours still 6.8
dKH = 2.0
dGH = 2.0 – 3.0

I installed the HOB filter, the Magnum 350 filter with diffuser, and the Fluval 3.0 46-watt LED fixture and even with the water slightly cloudy I measured [email protected] at the substrate level without a glass cover. The Magnum 350 filter had been running on a fully cycled tank for one week and did contain some detritus. I then turned on the filters and went to bed.
Discusluv likes this.

Roy_________

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 08:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Is the broken imaging due to the forum not supporting certain photo uploading methods as well as others?
Sorry, I haven't been following the thread so if that question has already been answered I wouldn't know.

I post photos daily through Imugr and never have an issue.
I use Imgur or Tapatalk to host, and have not had issues.

Looks like the HTML did not work either.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

|

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 09:07 PM
Planted Member

Yes tapatalk is the best way to post images. They host the pictures so no broken links.
Grobbins48 likes this.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

11/26/19 The next morning the tank was basically completely clear. Both filters and the CO2 had been running for about 12 hours so I took water readings from the tank:
pH = 6.1
dKH = 2.0
dGH = 4.0
I also checked the PAR levels with the clear water (with and without the cleaned Versa-top glass cover). The Fluval 3.0 was set on full output on all 5 channels. The depth from the light to the substrate was 20.25”. There was no hardscape nor plants in the tank. All readings taken with a calibrated Apogee MQ-510 PAR meter.
PAR = 105 (no glass cover)
PAR = 99 (with glass cover)

Roy_________

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-11-2019, 12:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

The big question, what are you going to grow in your 3 sq.ft. space ???

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-11-2019, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Hi @Maryland Guppy,

Good question! Since this is my first attempt at a 'rich substrate / lean water column tank' I am going to throw a variety of plants in there to see how they respond. I have about 12 Melanotaenia lacustris semi-juvies that I am going to more in there for fauna and then go from there.

*****Darn photo links 'broke' after about 5 hours....AGAIN! You can see this thread on the Barr Report with pictures here: https://barrreport.com/threads/a-45-gallon-high-a-pikez-inspired-tank.16696/

Roy_________

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-11-2019, 01:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

[url]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/FDXjX2m1VVQowHvAGY2_nTN5Mmyw8NTV5aIb3_F2dR-Gm8Yftk4RcTCdV_JvnEbt1gl4zZHQ3MuGLfLg0AFlI5QzjCWad 0L8t6O5dfwXarb8pyP9_DEB3Gi0mNYJI_NfSrcDnUs5wjrVcgl hJIZVQOHEzPzBYhS7AbPVT5xn6iHXghSv0XCPw6fWJ8BLG_5h4 u3uGB0KgSoPsoqY1uv_cdqBZxdubUOZ4KXfzOJspdh6WJ3XWyT veq_5bOSaSvazzmFM5S5kTsVqmbCuTlsGcaYK6xEpLI2r8M6o5 fZD00gwBXT3Ga7WGjKIdyNFNtn1HWHZmH7DL_RR3lJm9nDd7eO ctxHNgs5iuiUKIwUNnrxunFLnTrORKPV8ZUOU01ztyxrFl74y5 81LUJfCm9Xy9oBW3J0qWkUWRCSLWVyHhwSTC1vZlTOX8BIK85p s-5S8C3iuGIIgeCjeLybmCMEEw_9aer0ZBwAOIOz-Zl7H4BYBrMQUWIAH6_0f0ozZ2F0GOITGvldFrEERPulJzVEbvY FcvWurARJsR8j2Blgp2Qa7QHqXwY8KDEorSgvQQ53rTYsbxi92 c_tJJmUGC7jHmvJM7p3dcwT2gOT3E5ETHuNjSm-bvBCwYz8n54rSxX9LQw_uGiQprHnZsq7iDtVIBrS88-MjeT7ennmiDpKc1SIUtts1n1bx0g=w1280-h810-no

This is one heck of a link to a photo.
Maybe too many characters to handle well???

I've seen all the pics on The Barr.

Roy, do you any idea how long the root tabs will take to dissolve?
I've only sprinkled right from the osmocote+ container, never used gel caps.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode