3Likes
  • 1 Post By stevewb
  • 1 Post By stevewb
  • 1 Post By stevewb

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
A long awaited upgrade from my aqueon 10. The CPDs and plants from there will be added to this tank. Unfortunately won’t be able to get water into it for a little while as I’ve got to make a few table saw sleds so the stand comes out as well as I hope. I plan on making updates throughout the entire process.

Last edited by stevewb; 12-26-2019 at 09:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

For now, it sits and taunts me.

This will be a woodworking thread for now.
After a few days the x-cut sled and jointer Sled are complete along with getting this old 80s saw back in reasonable working order. It’ll never be a precision machine, but it’ll do what I need it to do just fine.

I am pleasantly surprised at the results it yielded. It really did whip these crusty 2x4s into shape. The short edges were jointed so pretty straight. The tall edges just ripped for a smooth clean face.

An outfeed table would probably be a good idea instead of shoving the work off the back onto the ground. The corners are getting crushed from it. In the future I’d like to build this saw into a large bench so maybe something cheap for now.

Last edited by stevewb; 12-26-2019 at 09:40 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-17-2019, 04:10 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I’ve entered the third dimension. After a little time off and a lot of time on, I think I’ve made progress worthy of update.

I’ve gone with “king of diy style” framing as I know from experience, it’s super easy, and overly strong. Here’s all the final frame pieces milled down and partially assembled

Here are the.... tailings? After working all the 2x4s down. The pile was about 5 inches high

Here’s after the first few pieces of skin have made it on. The side pieces are set back beyond the top. I plan to notch out bits near the back bottom to match the trim on the wall so it sits very close to the wall

I’ve never had the interior of a stand finished off nicely. It’s always been rough 2x4s and makeshift scrap ply shelves. Discussion elsewhere has made me want to attempt it. I think it’ll do. Was going to try double door but a mismeasured/rushed cut finalized the decision on single. I think that with how thin the opening ended up single might look better anyway.

tv4184 likes this.

Last edited by stevewb; 12-26-2019 at 09:49 PM.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-24-2019, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Frame is all covered up. Turned out a lot nicer then expected. The extra time cutting everything down accurately payed off. Addition of the table saw didn’t hurt either. My projects by the end typically I’m fighting all the stacked tolerances and closing gaps off. But not this time. Paint on the other hand a complete disaster. Never using latex again. Paired with how cold it was outside. Tacky mess. Will be redone in the spring.

Wrastled it in. Must be close to 100!lbs. not a ton but awkward handling.

Here’s the donor for substrate, plants, fish, and filter media. Haven’t been keeping it tidy as most focus has been on the new construction.
doug105! likes this.

Last edited by stevewb; 12-26-2019 at 09:38 PM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-26-2019, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Ended up tossing a lot of the plants and thinning them out. Will propagate some new from the saved stems. Might do away with stems entirely and get maybe more crypts. But the reds look so nice.

Not sure where to throw the ceramic diffuser so I tossed it in the back and will see how it goes.
Squisher likes this.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2020, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

😠

😠
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2020, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

So far there’s 7 CPDs. I was thinking about adding three to five more as well as a center piece fish as well. My girlfriend and I really like the honey gouramis at the store. I’ve read some old threads on this combination and it working out fine, but no later threads. Anybody have any recent good/bad experiences or thoughts on this?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

All is not well; the importance of quarantine

I haven’t been able to set up the old 10 as qt yet as I still need a few things and just haven’t gotten around to it.

But the tank was doing extremely well. All 7 fish happy, active, and spending in the open at the front.

Since the water parameter were good we decided to get a few more. Risking it just one more time.

Grabbed 5 from the LFS they looked pretty small, pretty pale, but they had just been received earlier that day so it was to be expected.

Only two made it home, one didn’t last to the night. The final was picked from the filter two days later. Long story short, of the seven happy healthy fishes, two remain. I don’t know what’s causing it. The water is still testing fine. Nothing else has changed since the happy healthy fish 6 days ago.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

One left.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Last little guy passed away last night. Excitement over our new tank has now fizzled into a sad empty box.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode