Ben's Low-Tech 10 gal Betta tank - The Planted Tank Forum
 5Likes
  • 5 Post By BennisTheMenace

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ben's Low-Tech 10 gal Betta tank

Hi all, I just found out about this forum and am excited to join and become a part of this great community.

I've had the tank running since January and wanted to start documenting my journey through this hobby.

I've had the tank planted since it's inception but I have started experimenting more with different plants and making a better ecosystem.

Specs:
10gal starter kit w/ Hob filter & 50w heater
Handmade stand
Nicrew LED
Fluval stratum

Plant list:
Java fern
Java miss (will always be a part of this tank)
Anubias
Hygrophila polysmera rosanervig
Rotala wallichii
Gratiola viscodula
Monte Carlo
Red ludwigia
Salvinia floaters

Inhabitants:
Betta (Hollywood)
Red cherry shrimp (big momma, the only survivor of the tanks tyrant leader)

I've made a bunch of changes since I get the tank running, originally having a sand area on the left but I scrapped that in favour of more planted substrate and a different lay out. I've also been experimenting with different combinations of driftwood and hardscape layouts. I've since been removing more and more hardscape in favour of more plant space.

I look forward to some discussions and advice from you guys (with much more experience than I have), thanks in advance for checking out my tank

Oldest fts I could find journal![IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191109/bf03977303ef0d5a4e0d8b65493ca313.jpg
[/IMG]

Current tank

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Tessa, doug105!, Discusluv and 2 others like this.

Last edited by BennisTheMenace; 11-10-2019 at 02:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 01:42 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Beautiful
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 01:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Welcome to TPT!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'm thinking more and more of changing my substrate to a black sand of some sort after hearing success of others with the ease of planting. I'm having a lot of dissolved organics im the water column because I don't want to disturb the substrate too much as the plants deroot easily. It's a miracle I've actually got the Monte Carlo to stay down (we'll see how long it lasts)

I'm excited the r. Wallichii is growing and colouring up, I've heard of it succeeding in Low-Tech but had my doubts. We'll see In the long run.

Does anyone have experience mixing aqua soil and sand together to get the best of both worlds?

Also I'm starting to see why the hygro polysmera is invasive in the us (I'm in Canada btw), it seems to be branching off at every node into one or two more stems without my cutting it.

Other than some small battles with string algae, diatom algae/spot algae and spots of blue green algae, things are going well.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 12:02 AM
Algae Grower

Sweet little tank! I'm pretty sure my betta dispatched her shrimpy roommates too.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotCousteau View Post
Beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyhiker View Post
Sweet little tank! I'm pretty sure my betta dispatched her shrimpy roommates too.
Thank you guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Welcome to TPT!
Thanks for the warm welcome!

Water change day today. The gratiola is rooting and taking nicely to the tank. The monte carlo is still having a hard time rooting, so we will see if that takes off. I was hopeful on the MC but half expected it not to take.

I'm questioning the super leggy rotala on the right, but the roots are pretty strong so we will see. I trimmed off one of the stems with a side shoot so maybe it will continue to throw out side shoots and keep going. Might have to remove it along with the other leggy stems.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The day finally came, hollywood finally decided my shrimp would be a snack. I was excited too because I came home to a bubble nest. Swim in peace little shrimp.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So it's been a little while since I last updated this thread. Since I've had a green string algae infestation, I'm doing regular waterchanges and split my dosing from two pumps of tropica specialized to one pump twice a week.

I've removed most of the gratiola, it never really rooted and most of it melted away, there is some new growth that I kept to see how it does long term.

I let my floaters loose as an attempt to reduce some light and soak up some nutrients. They are also a home to string algae which I thought was weird, but we will see long term how this works. I'm trying to keep the water level above the HOB outlet so I get some surface movement while having low flow for the Betta.

The Monte Carlo seems to be rooting good now, hopefully it will slowly spread out and give me a nice carpet.

My ludwigia seems to be making a comeback, multiple side shoots coming from most of my stems, and new growth from where I chopped the stem previously. I tried removing one of the stems with no healthy leaves and uncovered some crazy roots. I chopped and replanted with no remaining leaves and it has a side shoot, still waiting on the main stem to give new leaves though.

My now sole inhabitant seems happy still, though I'm thinking of getting a snail or two, maybe ramshorns, though I want to get a hardness test kit because I think my water is relatively soft. I previously had some pest snails and they've all disappeared, so I'm holding off till I'm sure they won't perish.

Here's some photos of my tank right after my water change.
The carpet after removing most of the gratiola

The gsa infestation my my rotala. I'm sad about this but I hope these stems will make a comeback, if not I think I'll move the hygro In it's place

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2020, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Time for a new update. Tested gh and kh, gh was 1 and kh was 2. Using 17g of equilibrium we are raising the gh with each water change. It makes my tank super cloudy for an hour or two but it should help all my stunted plants.

New plant! My first crypt, beckettii petchii. Lost a few leaves to melting but otherwise there is new growth and it seems alright for now.

Most of my plants are covered in green string algae. I think it's mostly due to not having any hardness in my water. Will continue to monitor now that I have a more regular schedule. The biggest factor contributing to my algae thought was forgetting to turn the timer on, and leaving the lights on for nearly a day. Makes a huge difference when my photo period is only 4 hours.

Anyways, I feel back on top of things constant regular waterchange mondays. Including remineralizing and fertilizing. With a second fertilizing dose on Thursday or Friday.

BGA is still growing slowly but my manual removal is actually keeping it mostly at Bay, so aside from some spots here and there it isn't overbearing.

The crypt was the biggest factor in me going for a remineralizer. The store had it in it's submerged form so I didn't expect too much melt, but the leaves developed pin holes (as well as some of my other plants that I wrote off) so we will see if it makes the difference.

Still waiting on the carpet to grow in lol. Life of the low tech.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode