75g Planted Discus Tank - The Planted Tank Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
75g Planted Discus Tank

I recently moved too far to keep my planted rainbow tank running. I decided it was best to find a new home for the fish I had, take down the tank and set it back up another time. Since I was starting from scratch, I decided it was finally time to try the planted discus tank I've been thinking about for a few years. In following the advice of many others, I decided to keep the plants simple this time, and make sure most of them are tied to rocks or wood, so I can easily move them around when cleaning.

The rest of my set up is basically the same. I'm using 3 AI Prime HD lights (set to low output, but I still enjoy the completely customizable lighting schedules they offer). I'm still using my co2 equipment and managing everyone with Apex.

The tank is home to 15 Cardinals and 6 Adult Discus. I've had more than a few stressful days in setting this up and adding the discus, but things are running smoothly now. I'd say the upkeep is more than the high tech Rainbow tank was, just on account of the messy feeding of the Discus and frequent water changes and cleaning to keep conditions as nice as possible for the fish. The focus has certainly shifted from plants to keeping the fish healthy. It is after all quite an investment!

Bump: I do miss the Rainbow tank!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	58534574807__2460EE58-05FA-4B29-BD09-04F652E98B48.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	334.4 KB
ID:	889097  

Name:	ElTw9YRpRoaWNwkFgUTW0Q.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	239.8 KB
ID:	889099  

Name:	hFKAxARIR9qciVs66qhdIA.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	287.7 KB
ID:	889101  

Name:	OiaIuA9VR5+w48gqinjC2w.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	300.8 KB
ID:	889103  

Name:	ZRrTfhPRSCGWFqtOMtW8Dw.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	321.8 KB
ID:	889105  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 05:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
You have some nice quality discus there as well. That Golden is beautiful.
Did you get them as adults or grow them out yourself?
Great job on finding that happy medium between a tank that is aesthetically pleasing and ensuring the health of your sensitive fish.
Greggz likes this.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 07:11 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Beautiful tank and fish!

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 09:23 PM
Algae Grower

Your tank and discus are beautiful! You were smart to keep the plants and layout on the simpler side...in retrospect I wish we had gone the same route with our 125 g heavily planted discus tank. Between the 3x/week water changes, plant maintenance, algae battles, and all-around fish care I think my spouse and I spend more time attending this tank than we do ourselves, our house, our careers, or our social-lives!

ďA pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.Ē Ė Winston Churchill
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 04:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
You have some nice quality discus there as well. That Golden is beautiful.

Did you get them as adults or grow them out yourself?

Great job on finding that happy medium between a tank that is aesthetically pleasing and ensuring the health of your sensitive fish.

Thanks! I appreciate that! I got them as adults from Dennis Discus Fish. He was awesome to work with and really had some great fish to choose from.

I really wanted to keep things as simple as possible with the plants until I get more comfortable with the discus. Iím sure the tank will evolve in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Desert Pupfish likes this.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 04:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeme View Post
Your tank and discus are beautiful! You were smart to keep the plants and layout on the simpler side...in retrospect I wish we had gone the same route with our 125 g heavily planted discus tank. Between the 3x/week water changes, plant maintenance, algae battles, and all-around fish care I think my spouse and I spend more time attending this tank than we do ourselves, our house, our careers, or our social-lives!

I completely understand that! They are quite messy with feedings, and the maintenance certainly needs to be stepped up or the algae isnít far behind...not to mention the health of the fish. Iím probably changing the water more than I need to, but Iíd rather be doing too much at this point.

I keep telling myself it will get easier as I get more comfortable with discus and the tank matures.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 12:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I could spend quite a bit time sitting and staring at that tank.

Very, very well done and beautifully presented!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
---
---
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 03:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Looks great - keep up the good cleansing work and minimalism - that's the only way to succeed with keeping discus.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
I could spend quite a bit time sitting and staring at that tank.

Very, very well done and beautifully presented!!!

Thanks, I appreciate that. It feels more like a fish tank than a plant tank these days, but I think thatís going to happen with discus.

I watch it way more than my TV.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
Looks great - keep up the good cleansing work and minimalism - that's the only way to succeed with keeping discus.

Thanks a lot Paul. I appreciate the advice you offered as I was setting this up. Really helped give me the confidence to move forward with it.

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 09:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
It has to be worth it though! My guests were blown away with LIVE PLANTS and Denison Barbs. Discus are simply breathe taking.

How do you like the spray bar setup? Two facing forward with the pickups in the corners? I see you kept it the same between setups. I am setting up a similar filtration system and didn't even consider pointing them toward the front glass.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemananana View Post
How do you like the spray bar setup? Two facing forward with the pickups in the corners? I see you kept it the same between setups. I am setting up a similar filtration system and didn't even consider pointing them toward the front glass.

I would certainly say itís worth it! Everyone thinks itís a salt water tank.

The filter setup has worked well for me. I seem to get a nice circular flow by bouncing the spray bar off the front glass.

The pickups under the spray bar are from the opposite filter. So the spray bar on the left is coming off my Co2 reactor, and the pickup under it is from the opposite filter and pickup the co2 enriched water and helping to make sure itís distributed to the other side as well.

This setup also seems to make it calm so the fish arenít blowing around.

Freemananana likes this.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 01:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostudent4life View Post
I would certainly say itís worth it! Everyone thinks itís a salt water tank.

The filter setup has worked well for me. I seem to get a nice circular flow by bouncing the spray bar off the front glass.

The pickups under the spray bar are from the opposite filter. So the spray bar on the left is coming off my Co2 reactor, and the pickup under it is from the opposite filter and pickup the co2 enriched water and helping to make sure itís distributed to the other side as well.

This setup also seems to make it calm so the fish arenít blowing around.

Great insight! Thanks

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 03:30 AM
Planted Member

Fantastic tank.

Can we get a plant list and also what temp do you keep your tank at?
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

Beautiful tank, really well done!

|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode