The Planted Tank Forum banner

Freeman's Final Destination

11K views 64 replies 14 participants last post by  Freemananana 
#1 ·
:grin2:

It's been too long TPT!

I joined this forum shortly after deciding that I needed some glow fish. Turns out, dozens of fish in a black light engulfed ice tea pitcher is a bad idea.

Just to play catch up for all those tuning in for the first time. I got hooked on planted tanks after receiving a "FREE" 30G tall tank. I soon found that I had to go bigger, in comes the 75G.

The tank quickly filled out and set the pace for my "style" moving forward: Overgrown, Unkept, Jungles.

We moved, the tank was all but donated and the live stock (plants included!) were given away to members of the community. The next tank was bigger in every way!

Humble beginnings for this tank as well, but not for long.

Not to delve too deep into stories, but there were lessons learned at every turn. My 75G had a 55G sump and a DIY overflow, kept me up at night! It also required an INSANE 30" hood to space the CFL lighting far enough away from the substrate. My 125G had a 75G sump and a bean animal overflow, simply perfection. Unfortunately, $80 acrylic tanks found on craigslist are more like a ticking time bomb than a deal. The euro bracing top detached and caused permanent stress to the corner seems even after bracing. She developed a leak.

I have all but decided on the next tank size as well as stocking, details to come upon their arrival. I have grown found of big tanks with large flowing vals, so they will be returning. The rocks from my 125G ended up being a lot of fun! More boulders will likely return. The wood utilized in all my builds has been Blooms and Branches manzanita, which is likely to return as well. I ordered some simple sticks to test the tap water at our new home. Looking back at previous journals, the parameters are close to my last two houses. Seems like my intended stocking should be no problem.

For reference:

So there you have it! Most of the equipment is left over from my previous tanks, but I have ordered new pieces here and there. I will be picking the tank up Friday, fingers crossed! It's been a couple years, but I'll be starting my fishless cycle with a couple of filters in the garage, 5 gallon buckets, and pure janitorial grade ammonia. I'll be looking through the RAOK as well as for sale threads shortly for my favorite low tech plants. I've forgotten what many of the species are called, so leave suggestions if you don't mind.

Thanks mates,
-Freeman

See less See more
#2 ·
I made the hour or so drive to a neighboring Petsmart to grab what seemed like a decent deal. It is an Aqueon 125 gallon tank, with stand, glass lids, and LED lights for ~$400 (ignore the sticker, the sale sticker is MIA).

I was pricing used tanks on Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, LetGo, etc. They were all in the $200+ range. Most of the $200 ones looked questionable as well. Many were asking more than this setup new! So I went ahead and took the leap. I'm particularly excited about the 1/4" glass lids, with hinges and handles!

I have some leftover acrylic to cut for the rear pieces. I'll cut them to side, make arrangements for the plumbing, and then paint them black.

I'm impressed with the reccomendations actually. I didn't go with a FX6, but it is a good filter. A couple of 300w heaters, conditioner, 200lbs+ of substrate; not bad at all!

I did pick up some Seachem Matrix. I know it is basically just pumice, but I didn't need much more than a gallon of bio media. This is likely overkill anyway.

Popped a few holes in the bottom.

Commenced the draining! I always recommend cleaning out matrix or pumice. As it travels, it rubs itself into a fine dust.

My tank shall utilize only the finest Chinese filtration available, a pair of 304bs. For my stocking, one may have been enough. But I think the mirrored lay out and additional water flow will be nice.

Onto the lengthiest portion of the whole tank setup, cycling. I've done this before and it worked, so I loaded up the baskets of one of the SunSuns.

And hooked it up in a bucket! Dumped in some ammonia from Ace Hardware and started to wait.

The stand that came with the tank will be cannibalized. This will be the last time it appears as is in this thread. The plan will unfold shortly! I liked the styling and the cabinet doors/decorative sides. So I will utilize those. I don't care for the pressed board 1x4 uprights holding my 1,500 lb tank. I've seen plenty use this stand and it is a mass produced production model, but I just don't trust it. Plus, I need it to be about 10" taller to work within the space I plan to utilize. A half custom stand and a DIY hood will be in the works. I need to get the tank place somewhere else to water test it for a week or so before it moves indoors.

#5 ·
It's been a long day. Here are some photos of the morning. Took apart the petsmart stand and it is scary how little support there is. Four 3/4"x18" made of particle board! The skinning was kinda falling off and would grab on things as I slid it. I started cutting down the 2x6s I used to frame out the stand. I still have some work to do today and I'll post a timelapse with some post photos.

#7 ·
I simply could not live that life! I enjoy my garage space regularly and it has become my shop. I've slowly accrued numerous tools over the past decade or so. I think the carpentry aspect of the hobby is one of my favorite parts. I really enjoy the setup portion of a tank build.

The manufactured stand I received with the tank was rubbish! 54sq-inches of vertical support, according to my maths. The new stand has nearly 100sq-inches of vertical support. It may be just pine, but it is certainly better than OSB style pressed board.

Watch the one minute time lapse.

Here it sits, ready for paint tomorrow. Double 2x6 uprights in the corners with a pair of 2x10s in the middle to form the shelving area. I modeled this after the Petsmart stand. I am reusing the doors, the end caps and shelves (albeit a bit of modification).

A few 1x2s to hold the bottom plate as well as the one middle shelve. I utilized 2x4s for the side area supports as I will be placing a filter in each of those.

A new home for my DJ rack mount panel! Up above the canister on the left, it is close to the outlet where the stand will be placed. I did some preliminary measuring and everything SHOULD reach the back of the DJ rack.

The stacks of modified pieces! Doors, end caps, floor bits, center shelves and the block off plate for the rear!

#10 ·
Hey Freemananana, I was just doing my morning browse of TPT and came across your post. I have been debating about pulling the trigger on this setup myself. Up here in the Midwest the assembly is priced at 500.00 which I think is still a decent deal. My hesitation is due to the stand that is included but, like you I thought about building my own stand which is not a big deal as this would be a much smaller project than building a house which I use to do for a living lol. At any rate I have subscribed and am very interested in your progress. If you don't mind can I pick your brain at anytime about other aspects of keeping a tank this big? Will definitely be watching!

#11 · (Edited)
Absolutely! I'll keep the updates coming. I have done a time lapse of the stand build. this will be my second 125. Feel free to ask anything here. If you want, send me a PM and we can setup a call or something if that is more your speed! Anything for a fellow hobbyist.

A stand is quite easy. This is a tried and true design. Just keep lumber ontop of lumber and it is incredibly strong.

Edit:
This was from my mobile
$499 online here as well. Still a decent deal in my opinion. Stores do additional mark downs. Stand appears to have been assembled by the employees, there were a couple "mistakes". Just breaking it down:

18x36 (2) versa lids $60 +
22x24 doors with magnet latches and handles $50+
Misc bits used from the stand $20
The lights make good viewing or shop lights. I used the DC adapters, saved about $10.

You can get some use out of the adder bits. I'll detail my cost for this project as well. I'm making an excel spreadsheet. No reason to not share it IMO.

#12 ·
I uploaded the build of the stand as a time lapse. Nearly 20 minutes! That's at like 30 times speed or something. Took a long day to build this stand. Feel the grief of an unlevel quadrant in the garage as I tackle a warped 2x6. Enjoy my daughter play with screws for 15 minutes.

I haven't taken much time to add subtitles or anything to make it "interesting." I could do some quick voice over bits or captions. It isn't a how to, just a cheap DragonCam3, or some other awesome Chinese brand, left on time lapse. Not sure how interesting this stuff is to anyone else. Try to ignore me eyeing the camera as I changed the batteries over and over again.

#46 ·
I uploaded the build of the stand as a time lapse. Nearly 20 minutes! That's at like 30 times speed or something. Took a long day to build this stand. Feel the grief of an unlevel quadrant in the garage as I tackle a warped 2x6. Enjoy my daughter play with screws for 15 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMTUwu2fowU&feature=youtu.be

I haven't taken much time to add subtitles or anything to make it "interesting." I could do some quick voice over bits or captions. It isn't a how to, just a cheap DragonCam3, or some other awesome Chinese brand, left on time lapse. Not sure how interesting this stuff is to anyone else. Try to ignore me eyeing the camera as I changed the batteries over and over again.
Awesome video, thank you for sharing. If you don't mind my asking, did you build the stand (as opposed to using the one that came with it) because you were concerned that the "factory" stand was not going to be able to hold the weight of the tank, or just that you didn't like the looks of the stand that came with it? I have a 75 gallon and I have concerns about the stand but I assumed (maybe incorrectly) that since it came with the tank that the stand was designed to support the weight of the tank and water.

Is it common to have to build a new stand?

#14 ·
With a camera tripod as cheap as the one I'm using, determination is the only way it stays put! I'm surprised it hasn't fallen during some of the time lapse shots.

With that, another short update, but one none the less. I uploaded the final portion of the time lapse for the stand build itself. I believe it is mostly assembling the top and taking it apart to prep for paint.

There is only one portion of the tank build that is "pending" if you will and it is an AC to DC adapter. Other than that, I have everything to get the tank running up to the point where it is ready to be planted. I need to move the stand out of the garage so that I can start building the hood. The hood will be a new experience for me and should be quite a bit more interesting. :wink2:

#15 ·
Another day, another evening doing a bit of work.

I painted the stand one more time for an even coat as well as coated the edges of the top as it would clash as a matte black on gloss black. Also painted the rear of the tank, black. All in all, had to be done tonight so it can move in the house tomorrow. Leaving the stand semi apart to make moving slightly easier.

#16 ·
I like the stand, I also like that the stand has a stand, for painting and construction. So is the gloss black of the top going to show or are you going to put the petsmart face going to cover your custom stand?
I painted the stand one more time for an even coat as well as coated the edges of the top as it would clash as a matte black on gloss black.
I guess I was confused why gloss black center shelves/open area and flat black doors?

#17 · (Edited)
I like the stand, I also like that the stand has a stand, for painting and construction. So is the gloss black of the top going to show or are you going to put the petsmart face going to cover your custom stand?
I painted the stand one more time for an even coat as well as coated the edges of the top as it would clash as a matte black on gloss black.
I guess I was confused why gloss black center shelves/open area and flat black doors?
The doors are a goofy gray fake wood. If it is too much, I'll tape and repaint it satin with low vox interior paint. The top is going to be used but the tank will cover most of it except the rim portion.

I'm winging it. Expect adjustments to be made!

Evening update:

Not telling where today will end, but I made the move inside. These photos are HORRIBLE due to my jam up Christmas decorations. But a one man move of a 125 is quite the adventure. Huge shout out to my harbor freight furniture dollies and the fam for staying out of the way.

The reason for the shims:

The stand was leaning forward a little bit. Nothing too crazy I suppose. I am displeased with this small 1/8" gap between the front of the tank and the stand. In the center it is obvious that the 2x6 was bowed downward and it pulls the center of the stand away ever so slightly for the middle couple feet. Good contact on either end, so I'll just shim it for peace of mind.

#18 ·
The tank setup has begun! I threw the manzanita branches I had in the tank to get an idea of the scale.

I took some bags of lava rock to form a central hill, not too sure how much I like it in the end, but I'm giving it a shot this time around.

Setup the mound, wood, and dirted the tank. Little over an inch just about everywhere.

Added several bags of black diamond blasting sand and started to fill the tank. Turned out some spots were a little lacking on the cap.

Typical fog, but I saw some spots where the soil was leeching through fairly heavily and patched them with some more sand.

I setup the equipment as the tank was filling. Spray bar pointed toward the front, heater near the pickup, sponge filter jammed over the intake of the canister.

Tank setup and running to get some of the suspended particles caught by the floss in the filters.

Went to drain the tank and do some planting. Forgot I had the hose on blow a hole through my cap and send dirt all over the tank as I refilled. Mistake.

I made these cheap plastic bits inthe rear since my lids didn't come with cutouts for the equipment. It is corrugated plastic for signs painted black with super glued handles.

Moved the heater controller over. This will eventually be behind the hood, so no worries about the location. But it needs to be central so I don't have to utilize an extension cord for the far heater.

I'll post a full tank shot sometime this week as it cleans up. Still cycling the tank. I have order some more plants with the local fish store and a few forum users. A bunch of low tech classics. I somehow ruined the hinges when I moved the tank, so I have to work on the doors. The stand doesn't really need to be pretty as there is a love seat that will go in front of the tank. I have it slid out of the way for obvious reasons.

#19 ·
Let us pick up where we left off: My failure.

Obviously I expected some cloud, algae bloom, tannin from the wood, etc. But that was just a huge mistake. Huge water change, draining it out of one corner and filling in the other. Cleaned up the debris that was blown out on top, added more sand to cap areas where it was exposed, moved on.

Still some bits of the bark and such drifting about, but not too displeased! Ignore the water filling temp probe on the side.

You'll notice some sunsun powerheads in the corner. Testing these out for adding flow since the spray bar is lack luster for movement of the corners. It does circulate the center well, but the added flow from a couple of these small powerheads was worth the $10!

Received some plants in the mail! Couple more vals, some frogbit and moss for the branches. Everything was added along with a partial water change.

The finishing touch has been started! I'll accept guesses, but it is likely pretty obvious. Time lapse footage and a completed project should be available this weekend. I hope to have the tank fully setup by Sunday and get back to just checking water parameters and waiting to add livestock.

#20 ·
I'll be making progress this weekend, but I moved the love seat back to it's original location. It covers most of the stand, which is why I didn't spend much time creating anything "beautiful". We house the Christmas tree in one corner and a baby swing in the other. It moved the couch forward 18" which was nice, now the guests can more easily utilize the coffee table.

#22 ·
Maybe! But I doubt it. The cushion things on the back sit a couple inches forward of the back of the love seat. The feet also dig pretty deep in to the carpet, so it doesn't slide well. I set it a few inches in front of the tank for now. My largest concern was people sitting down and the couch sliding into the tank/stand. Going to play it by ear for awhile.

#26 ·
So I lied. The hood is taking much longer to finish as I am neglecting the work required. I did install some under cabinet lighting since the stand was dark with the doors on.

Just your typical 15' of LED with a dimmer and power supply. Very cheap, highly recommend if you have a stand with lots of equipment underneath it.

Still waiting on the LFS to get the handful of plants I ordered in, but the tank is steadily coming along.

I do believe the tank has cycled! Nearly 10 ml of Ammonia (10%) added ~24 hours prior. Roughly 2 to 3 ppm ammonia cycling within a day. Nitrates are surprisingly low, probably due to the number of water changes due to my mistakes.

#27 ·
The canopy is nearing completion. Some cleanup on the glue, paint and hardware installation is all that is left.

The rear brace is oddly wobbly looking. I swear it isn't that bad in person. Regardless, it is more of a spacer to prevent the entire thing from bowing than anything. There is a 1x2 to prevent the center from bowing/sagging as well. The 1x4s are near the handle to hopefully disperse some of the force from pulling on the handles. The clear plastic bits are for blocking the gap from the hinge. I wanted to prevent light from escaping if possible. The rack bits are for my 48" finnex 24/7. The holes, try not to be too impressed, are for vent fans.

Close up of the hardware mounts on the MDF. Just glued some scraps in case the lifting at these points tries to separate the glued and screwed MDF butt joints.

A couple of holes for the vent fans. The bracing is to reinforce the corners. There is a lip that is only attached in the rear that will sit on the rim of the tank. There is a stop that will sit on the lip. Another bit of plastic for blocking light from the seem.

The front face with routered edges. I haven't done any sanding on the filler for the screw holes.

Here are the computer fans I'll be using for the canopy along with 50' of two conductor and an AC to DC 2A power supply. The fans are less than 500mA each, so it should be great. I will attach and pin the wiring to the hood and the power supply will hook into the same timer as my 72" beamswork LED light. That way the fans will be on when the "high powered" light is on. I may change this up, but that's the idea thus far.

#34 ·
I enjoy them to an extent as well! I don't worry about filtering it out like many people do. It will clear up eventually on its own through water changes.

It's looking good! Would you mind posting a complete plant list?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
I edited a photo to include the names of everything. It is basically vals, crypts, sag and frogbit. Easy, fast growing, low tech plants.

Attachments

#36 ·
Thanks! Pretty much all disappeared when I changed the water but it slowly comes back.

I added some sound deadening to the cabinets with the canister filters. For $30, I thought I would give it a try. I actually don't mind the noise and neither does my wife but I wanted to see how quiet it could be.

I also finally got in the last of my plants. A couple amazon swords for the rear and a handful of java fern to fill out the midground. Livestock coming soon.

#39 ·
Thanks! I definitely will. I believe my camera is just old a janky, but I'm hoping to get some better photos. I think the hood will help with all the light correction my camera is attempting.

Did the passing help the sound? I find SunSun are hit and miss. I have one super quite one, even quieter than my new fluval 407. I have one that is tolerable, and one I had to stop using because it was so obnoxious (which is why I have the fluval now).
This sun sun seems louder than my previous ones. So I wanted to give it a shot. I dont think it is much better than the doors closed without sound deadening. It really helps with vibrations and I guess my doors are pretty still. The canister itself does vibrate though. With the doors closed and anything else going on, you cant tell.

#40 ·
I picked up some fish! Not your typical first purchases, but I've been steady preparing the tank for their arrival. They are a crowd favorite and my family really enjoys them. Plus, they are really just the most peaceful fish there ever were.

I picked up 15 oto cats! I hope they all make it, but I am expecting some losses. They disappear into the tank and there is already some algae build up. I'll add veggies here and there to supplement after a few days. The hood is receiving the last coat of paint and then I'll install the fans and hardware. Should drop right on. I plan to remake the hood soon. The wife surprised me by removing the couch in front of the tank. So now the hood doesn't match the stand much. I plan to make a frame out of 1x4s and drop in vinyl wrapped fake grey wood panels to match the stand.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.