Dr. Who meets Atlantis - Page 4 - The Planted Tank Forum
 74Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 74 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Today was Quarantine Tank setup day along with my regular maintenance. Since I had no plans to add new fish until after the new year, it seemed like a good time to get things rolling with the nitrogen cycle, so it would be ready when needed.

Quarantine Tank:
10 gallon aqueon tank
sponge filter with bio balls (filter has been in my main tank for a month)
air pump for up to 30 gallon tank with duo air lines
air stone
standard heater
15 lbs river stone (cleaned last night)
3 decorations for hiding spots

Set the tank up and added Prime. I planned to add a little ammonia this evening to see how much bacteria made it over with the sponge filter. I cleaned my main tank water change 55% (the usual), cleaned up, and sat down to enjoy my handiwork. Then, I spotted the baby swordtails in the floating plants. ROFLMAO. Obviously, I noticed the female swordtail must have dropped some babies a week or so ago, but I hadn't seen any babies and my tank is filled with fish that are starving at all times, so I figured they were all eaten.

Husband fished out (pun intended) 8 babies. They are going in the QT in about an hour (after I make sure the heater is working).

They may die, but they were definitely going to die in my big tank, so I guess we'll see how they do. If they live, I'll trade them in at the fish store in January when I go fish shopping.

Will take and post pictures once i get the babies in the tank. Still laughing at today's adventure.

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool. -William Shakespeare
Though she be but little, she is fierce. -William Shakespeare
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 74 (permalink) Old 12-29-2019, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Both tanks with some gratuitous fish pictures.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
burr740, varanidguy and Squisher like this.

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool. -William Shakespeare
post #48 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Apologies for being MIA. Work picked up where the holidays left off and it has been a bit crazy.

Main points:
Weekly water changes (approximately 40 gals.)
Trying to get the right fertilizer (ThriveC) amount to best support plant growth.
Except for Ludwigia Repens, my plants appear to be doing well.
Cory cats really stress with water changes the last 2-3 weeks---trying to figure that one out. They are my favorites.
Baby swordtails are entertaining.
The 4 zebra loaches in QT appear to be doing well.

Gratuitous photos:

post #49 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 01:12 PM
Planted Member

What type of water do you have and how are you doing your water changes? I was changing with straight tap/dechlorinated and was seeing fish stress from offgassing. We have deep cold water lines. I've recently switched to aging my change water in a brute garbage can atleast overnight while aerating and heating to exact tank temperatures. Than transferring it to the tank using a powerhead/line. Three changes like that now and I've seen zero signs of any stress.

Nice pics. I've enjoyed reading your journal.
celticfrog42 likes this.

45g fluval bowfront tank, plant 2.0 light, 2 x 206 canister filters, 5lb co2 art pro se
10g quarantine tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #50 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 05:13 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Two thoughts come to mind. A 40g weekly water change is a large amount for a 75g tank IMHO, and how different are the water parameters between the tank water and the new water? PH, kh, gh, temperature all come to mind. I don't know if it fits your schedule, but two 20g water changes a week might be less stressful than one 40g change.
celticfrog42 likes this.

The real fountain of youth is being a musician
post #51 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squisher View Post
What type of water do you have and how are you doing your water changes? I was changing with straight tap/dechlorinated and was seeing fish stress from offgassing.
I use tap water and transfer with 5 gallon buckets (w/Prime). I use an instant thermometer to keep temperature in range. For example, my tank was 77 degrees pre-water change and 76.8 post-water change. I do see your point that offgassing my be a source of stress. I don't have a good set up for keeping water overnight, but I will give it some thought--maybe I can come up with something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by butchblack View Post
Two thoughts come to mind. A 40g weekly water change is a large amount for a 75g tank IMHO, and how different are the water parameters between the tank water and the new water? PH, kh, gh, temperature all come to mind. I don't know if it fits your schedule, but two 20g water changes a week might be less stressful than one 40g change.
I started off with 50% weekly water changes because it seemed to be the going advice for a planted tank. I am open to other options. Here is what I am working with as a baseline:

My tap water parameters
PH 7.6
GH 10-11
KH 7

Other than my documented PH crashes in this thread, my tank typically has the following parameters:
PH 7.6
GH 8-9
KH 5-6

I didn't test GH/KH this water change. I will just before the next water change to see if it is dipping lower and then causing a big swing when new water comes in. It isn't ideal, but I could probably manage twice a week smaller water changes. I would just need to monitor Nitrates a little closer so it didn't creep up over 40ppm. Now that my plants are filling in more (hooray!), that may be less of an issue.

Maybe I can combine both bits of advice here and let a few buckets offgas overnight twice/week (40 gallons is not easily doable, but 3 5-gallon pails, I can do).

Thanks @Squisher and @butchblack!
Squisher likes this.

post #52 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 02:10 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I think the 50% water change is recommended when setting up a new tank with a substrate that produces a lot of ammonia. At the moment I'm trying two 10g a week, if my nitrates start creeping up I'll go to 3X. As my tank is still relatively new, this might change if needs be. Of course, I'm using a fractured clay substrate, so no ammonia problem from the substrate.

The real fountain of youth is being a musician
post #53 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Did a 20 gallon water change today. Introducing the semi-weekly water change to see if it reduces stress on the Sweepers. I did not gas off the water because I forgot to run it into pails last night. Corys took the smaller water change in stride, so seems like a viable option if I can swing one of the two water changes on a weeknight.

In other news, I decided to move the zebra loaches from QT into the main tank today. I also picked up some new fish for the QT. I did not imagine the difficulty I was about to encounter.

During their stay in the QT, the loaches barely ever came out in the open. I saw 2-3 a day in the trenches they wiggled into between the rocks and the glass (underneath the sponge filter). I assumed they were all alive mainly because I never found a body AND I saw one literally dig a hole under one of the decorations and disappear. This state of affairs SHOULD have been a clue that they would be impossible to catch, but I remained blithely unaware of the coming challenge.

....I ended up removing the decorations and draining the tank to 2 inches and I still had to gently dig them out of the rocks. One dug straight down with only a tail fin above the substrate. It took me 45 minutes to catch 4 fish. None died, but OMG.

So, the loaches are out. I had to put the water back in the QT, hunt for the nerite snails to make sure I didn't accidentally bury them when I built the rock wall to keep the loaches on one side of the tank (yes, I built a temporary rock wall, too!), and then acclimate the fish. No problems with the QT fish.

Loaches were acclimated to main tank. Given their previous behavior and the extreme stress of hide, seek, catch, and release, I figured I wouldn't see them for a few days. Yeah, nope. Within 15 minutes, they were exploring the tank, staking out territory, and trying to decide if the corys were family. I have dubbed them the Zebra Gang.

All joking aside, hopefully everyone survives today's adventure. These new additions should be fun to watch. Pictures to follow--I need to upload them via my phone.
Desert Pupfish likes this.

Last edited by celticfrog42; 01-24-2020 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Added clarity
post #54 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Action shots, Blurry as usual. hahaha

post #55 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Feeding time featuring the zebra gang, sweepers, and the babies. Also captured Mama in the drive by.

post #56 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 01:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

50% water changes are for people doing EI dosing in high light CO2 tanks. With your tank you should be fine with 25% water change weekly. Just read the nitrates and keep them in 10-20ppm range, tank will tell you if your not changing enough water.
celticfrog42 and Squisher like this.
post #57 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-31-2020, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I've been through a couple 20 gallon water changes now. It seems to be okay so far-- although the Nitrates could become a problem as it flirts up around 40 if I go a little long. Will keep going with it for a few weeks and see if the Nitrates will settle in between 10-20. The corys are definitely happier. Zebra gang has settled in nicely. Babies are growing a little slower now. Since the swordtail fry seem to survive in huge numbers (a new batch of 10-15 survived to come out of hiding), I am going to sell the male off with the babies once they are big enough. I enjoy them, but they are already over-running my tank.

No change with the ludwegia repens. Not sure what to do for them at this point. I went low-tech knowing I didn't have the time to devote to hyper analyzing macro and micro nutrients. I can keep adjusting ThriveC to see if they turn around, but I may just need to focus on the other plants -- all of which seem to be coming along fine.

In general, uneventful, but really enjoy my fish-watching time in the evening!

post #58 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ended up doing some much-needed plant maintenance today before I moved the last of QT fish over to the main tank. The L. Repens has been doing poorly, so I topped it all and replanted as a last ditch effort to see if it is going to work long-term in this tank. I also took the floating baby java ferns and put them in the QT. The Rossette swords have not grown in several months and appeared to be losing out to the leopard val, so those were moved to wee if less competition will give them a needed boost.

Captured Sharpie, the papa swordtail, and put him in QT (some babies were already in there) until the bigger babies grow enough to sell back to the LFS. I know it is small for him, but I think he'll be okay foe awhile.

Pictures:

post #59 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have a plant observation that is puzzling me.

My plants and hard surfaces have diatoms. From what I've read, diatoms may be an indicator of too little or weak light. However, I also have some green algae which could indicate too much light. I added an extra hour to one of my photo periods to see if that would clear up the diatoms about a week ago. I don't see much difference so far. Neither algae problem is overwhelming, but I don't want it to get out of hand. My set-up is low tech. I don't have an interest in high tech at this time. I am willing to adjust photo periods, ThriveC quantities, or incorporate other easy-to-maintain actions.

My current equipment/routines include:
Standard 75 gallon tank with glass lids
Aquasky 2.0 with 2 full light photo periods (3 hrs. 4 hrs.) and some green/blue time around 20% (about 90 minutes at night).
ThriveC at 10 mls 2x/week
Water changes 2x/week approximately 20 gallons

Plants:
ludwigia repens
cryptocoryne wendtii (brown and green)
red swords
rosette sword
leopard vallisnaria
java fern
micro sword
pennywort

l. repens is not doing well in general. The other plants are either slow growth or doing very well.

Typical tank stats:
GH: 9-10
KH: 5-6
PH: 7.6
Temp: 76.3

Nitrates are usually around 20ppm under this water change regime.

I have quite a few fish because ... swordtail babies. As soon as they are big enough, I will exchange them at the LFS.

I am open to any thoughts/suggestions.

post #60 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 12:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I'd like to see you get a phosphate test kit.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode