Dr. Who meets Atlantis - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 66Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
No way to comfirm, but I think Mopani wood. I read it may or may not drop PH slightly over time, but given the size of my tank and the amount of time I boiled it, I thought the most it might drop is .2. Since my PH has been stable at 7.6 for weeks, I thought I would be good. It dropped to 6.6 and restablized at 7.6 within 48 hours.

FYI, it has remained at 7.6 sine then.

Other notes:
GH :10
KH: 7

During the crash:
GH: 10
KH: 4

Not really sure how to interpret the changes. I have no plans for new additions for the next few weeks. Will see how it goes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool. -William Shakespeare
Though she be but little, she is fierce. -William Shakespeare
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quick update:

I am pretty swamped through Thanksgiving, so no pictures or ultra-detailed update. Bottom line up front, my best guess is the PH crash may have killed off some/most of my beneficial bacteria. I am open to suggestions for other causes, but the end result is:

Ammonia has been climbing (up to 1ppm) for a few days with no Nitrites. I did a water change on Sunday to bring the number down a bit. Nitrates was stable at 10ppm until the water change--it now reads 5ppm. I am using Ammolock to detoxify between water changes. Will continue with water changes and Ammolock as long as necessary.

Thus far, I have not lost any additional fish.

Will update my tank journal when I through the upcoming holiday/work obligations. I am open to any ideas or suggestions. Otherwise, will just try to slog through this problem the best way possible. Fingers crossed the little guys make it through--we are growing pretty attached to their antics.

Also, I have not dosed ThriveC at all since the PH crash. I am afraid to tilt the numbers too far in any direction. Plants appear okay--I still have some making the transition from emersed to submerged.
I am staying on top plant melt and decay to reduce impact on ammonia. Open to thoughts on this thinking too.

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool. -William Shakespeare
post #33 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Another quick update because I am really stumped now. The only thing I have done since I did the water change on Sunday (see previous post) is add Ammolock to detoxify ammonia. My tank temperature is 77.8.

This morning after an entire week of stable PH (7.6), I had another PH crash down to 6.6! Initial parameters:

Ammonia: 1 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
NItrate: 10 ppm
PH: 6.6

I also tested GH/KH once I realized the PH crashed:
KH: 3-4
GH: 11

I have periodically tested my tank GH/KH. The numbers are typically:
KH: 5-6
GH: 10

For reference, my tap water parameters are:
KH: 7
GH: 11

One of my fish has a red gill on her left side and she was racing up and down the side of the tank. Because of the sick fish, I changed out 10 gallons before work this morning. Post water change readings were:

Ammonia: .5 ppm
PH: 7.0

Note: Tank was probably not entirely settled for the new readings--I was rushing around trying to get ready for work...but the ammonia is down some and PH has started to rise again. The last time the PH crashed it rose back up to 7.6 in about 1.5 days on its own.

May or may not be relevant:
Very notable plant growth the last 2 days. The flame swords I planted last week have new submerged leaf growth and my ludwigia repens is visibly taller/lusher in a couple of areas. Really have no idea what is going on with the PH.

post #34 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-27-2019, 03:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Moved this summary to a new thread in the advice forum for traffic.

Last edited by celticfrog42; 11-27-2019 at 03:33 AM. Reason: Moved for advice/traffic.
post #35 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 03:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I had some holiday obligations (including guests), so I was unable to update. it was a challenging week or so with 60% water changes nearly every day to reduce ammonia, then nitrites, but the tank has re-stabilized. Water parameters have been good for a couple of days and the PH has been stable for about a week.

I switched from API to Prime products as a few fish experts indicated some API products sometimes reduced PH.

No confirmed reason for the severity of the crash, but I am glad to be on the other side of it.

Will take some pictures this weekend, but no major visible changes.
varanidguy likes this.

post #36 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Check-in:
Now that my tank appears stable, I am focusing on balancing the entire ecosystem. while I fought to keep my fish safe, I ignored my plants.

I am looking forward to this part of the challenge. Plants are new for me and I have already observed a few problems I would like to solve in my low tech environment. First up, leggy stem plants.

For now, here are a few pictures of the current state including my favorite "sweepers." Really, really love these corys.

post #37 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-17-2019, 02:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Soooooo, for the first time since I set my tank up in October, I didn't test water parameters today. hahaha. The tank is stable, so I shouldn't need to test every day. After 2+ months, t's like an addiction. ROFL Going to go to weekly testing unless there is some obvious problem.
varanidguy and Squisher like this.

post #38 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-17-2019, 04:13 AM
Wannabe Guru

It is looking great!

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
celticfrog42 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #39 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-17-2019, 10:43 AM
Wannabe Guru

Your Ludwigia will do better if you spread out stems on 1-1.5 spacing instead of cramming 4-5 stems in one spot on top of each other. Thats why lower leaves are waning and their looking leggy.
post #40 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-17-2019, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
Your Ludwigia will do better if you spread out stems on 1-1.5 spacing instead of cramming 4-5 stems in one spot on top of each other. Thats why lower leaves are waning and their looking leggy.
Thanks. I will spread it out a bit during my next cleanup.

post #41 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Did a 40 gal. water change today. Cleaned up dead leaves, spaced out my ludwigia, and moved a few propagated leopard val plants as they started stringing out under the mangrove rather than along the tank edge.

The leopard val. has really taken off lately...reaching the top of the tank in a few places. Also, my micro sword is finally expanding a little!!! I gave up on keeping the pennywort fully planted. It likes the top of the tank and the fish like to hide in it, so if you can't beat them; join them.

I started cleaning up my free 10 gallon as well. It will be my hospital/qurantine tank at some point. It has a lot of lime on the glass and rim, so will let it soak in vinegar water and check the seals this week.

Relevant pictures below:

post #42 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 10:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
We need a good pic of the TARDIS with plants and phish around it!
Immortal1 likes this.

Growing is not that difficult.
post #43 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ask, and you shall receive!

post #44 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Not better, but more fish present. My fish zoom through photos.

post #45 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 11:47 PM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Pretty cool looking pics!
celticfrog42 likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode