1Likes
  • 1 Post By butchblack

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 04:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New 75 Gallon build

Hi

I'm finally moving ahead on my 75 Gallon planted tank. My light came in. I'm using a photo/video light, the initial observations are good. I have my wood tentatively placed. I'll add some java moss on the branch and anubias in the cholla wood. I'm going with dwarf hairgrass for the foreground, Amazon swords in the back corners, Tiger Lotus in the front right corner, undecided on mid-ground plants. I have a number of rocks, but I'll probably wait until I have the plantings all set up to decide which ones and where to place them. I need to finish the plumbing and hook up the filter etc, then I can order the plants. Here's a peek at the setup, let me know what you think or any suggestions. It's eventually going to house some angels, and corys. I'm undecided on some bristlenose plecos. The bluer of the pictures was taken at 6500K, the warmer at 5500K.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_IMG0236 email.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	392.5 KB
ID:	888739  

Name:	_IMG0240 email.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	384.1 KB
ID:	888741  

Name:	_IMG0238 email.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	227.1 KB
ID:	888743  

Name:	_IMG0241 email.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	233.5 KB
ID:	888745  

The real fountain of youth is being a musician
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 05:00 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Good start, one thing I would look at is I think cholo wood dissolves eventually. I could be wrong but remember reading about it. May not be the best stationary object for your wood piece.

If you havnt already I would think about spraying the back of the tank, or adding some kind of solid color. Its much harder to do later and if you have that wire back there its probably gonna bug ya later.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the warning on the cholla wood. Maybe I'll attach the branch to a flat rock or something.
I am planning to add a background, I haven't decided what yet. I probably won't paint it, personal preference.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 03:13 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I decided that I didn't like the spider wood placement so I moved it more to the center and at the moment put it on a flat rock. I haven't figured out how I'm going to mount the branch now that I eliminated mounting it through the cholla wood. Maybe I'll build a rock mound and stick the branch out of that and plant some anubias or something on the rocks. The other idea is to buy another piece of driftwood and drill a mounting hole in it and gluing it in place. Any other ideas?

Plumbing is coming along. Hopefully, I'll get it finished by next week so I can plant it and start cycling it. I'll post some more pictures as things progress.

Aquascaping/rule of thirds question. If the spider wood is in the middle quadrant, middle space should I put the rock mound in the right rear with the branch pointing towards the spider wood or should I have the branch moving away from the spider wood? Again, suggestions appreciated.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quick update. The project is moving along. The CO2 system is ordered and the plumbing is coming along. I found some plastic egg crate so I can start working on the bio pre-filter, and I may have lucked out. I ordered a mingdak ramp-up timer hoping that it would work on my photo LED light. It seems to work though it was a bit of a pain to program. I'm testing it now, we'll see if it dims when programmed. Hopefully, I'll be able to order some plants by next week.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 01:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I'm a big advocate of 5000K-ish. You're going to love the 75G. What are your plans on CO2 diffusion? I've read good things (albeit in the past) about inline CO2 diffusion. Good luck on the tank. Plant it, feel it out, adjust. You'll find something that is really pleasing to you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemananana View Post
I'm a big advocate of 5000K-ish. You're going to love the 75G. What are your plans on CO2 diffusion? I've read good things (albeit in the past) about inline CO2 diffusion. Good luck on the tank. Plant it, feel it out, adjust. You'll find something that is really pleasing to you.
I bought a system with an inline reactor, so it should dissolve well. The light I have goes up to 65K but it looks like something in the low 50s is going to look best. It also has a diffusion panel with it which produces a nice soft light. I'm going to have to get my light meter out and see how much intensity is lost with it on.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 04:49 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by butchblack View Post
Hi

I'm finally moving ahead on my 75 Gallon planted tank. My light came in. I'm using a photo/video light, the initial observations are good.
What kind of light did you end up getting? I got a 75 g myself last week that I'll be setting up at some point, so will be following yours closely......
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Pupfish View Post
What kind of light did you end up getting? I got a 75 g myself last week that I'll be setting up at some point, so I will be following yours closely......
I'm actually using a photo/video light, a GVM 560AS (B&H photo). I like it because it has a high CRI and TLCI (97 on both) I bought two but a single one covers the tank nicely and it looks to be strong enough. Now if I can only get the Mingdak timer to work correctly I'll be set. I'll use the second one on the 60 gal when I set it up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_IMG0239 email.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	211.0 KB
ID:	888993  

Desert Pupfish likes this.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 08:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Lumens will give you a decent idea of what kind of par you are experiencing based on the type of light.

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Lumens will give you a decent idea of what kind of par you are experiencing based on the type of light.
Cool. I have a light meter that can read in EV and I found sites that can translate that to Lux, and lux to PAR (ppfd) I'll have to try it out tomorrow. What is a good par reading for a 75 gallon tank?

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 09:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by butchblack View Post
Cool. I have a light meter that can read in EV and I found sites that can translate that to Lux, and lux to PAR (ppfd) I'll have to try it out tomorrow. What is a good par reading for a 75 gallon tank?
I found this floating around, I think it is in the lighting sticky as well:

Quote:
I don't believe there is any consensus about the definition of low, medium and high light. But, here is my definiition, subject to, and almost certain to change:
Low light - 15-30 micromols of PAR - CO2 is not needed, but is helpful to the plants
Medium light - 35-50 micromols of PAR - CO2 may be needed to avoid too many nuisance algae problems
High light - more than 50 micromols of PAR - pressurized CO2 is essential to avoid major algae problems
It is just an idea. When I did my low tech lux to par conversion, I came in about 30% too much light.

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update

I have a background on the tank. I went with navy blue vinyl cloth I got at Joanns (cloth and crafts store) It was a bit pricey, $19 a yard but they had a special where if you made a $1 contribution to St. Judes Medical they gave you 40% off, so the cloth and some adhesive tabs cost me $35, not bad. Playing around a bit with a large rock and a branch, that may move as may the petrified wood ahead of the spiderwood. I've got my plumbing about half done, just waiting on the CO2 system to arrive so I can figure out where everything goes. Here's a new picture.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	scape 2.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	356.6 KB
ID:	889035  

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
I found this floating around, I think it is in the lighting sticky as well:

It is just an idea. When I did my low tech lux to par conversion, I came in about 30% too much light.
Thanks. I have to try the light meter conversion today. First thing though, the adhesive dots didn't hold the vinyl backing on, so I'm going to use HD velcro.

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update

I'm finally getting my plumbing figured out, just waiting for my UV sterilizer to come in. Once I hook that up I can order my carpeting plants, fill the tank with water and start cycling it. I'll post some pictures when I get all of the plumbing done and when I plant the carper.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode