Birthday build - 55 gallon Freshwater Reef - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 05:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Birthday build - 55 gallon Freshwater Reef

I set up the tank last night during a 12 hour marathon. All fish made it to the new tank. Later on I will post more on the progress being made.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 06:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I've done complete tank transfers before, and they're no fun! Glad it went well. Excuse my ignorance, but what's a freshwater reef?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 02:48 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

NotCousteau it is a freshwater build that is reef like. I am trying to build an ecosystem with a diverse array of plants and animals from pods to fish and plenty in between. The plants will be colorful also. I have some good sized rocks in there also, and while not as porous as live rock there will be epiphytic plants living on them much like coral.

Now that our internet is working again I will be able to post the pics I took from when I set up the tank. I will post them tomorrow. Unfortunately I lost my powder blue gourami and a green tiger barb after the transfer. I did get a rubber lipped pleco on 10/29 however and he or she seems to be doing well. I did a 75% water change today. I will take some new pictures of the tank as well tomorrow and possibly add on to the cave in the center of the tank. I have not added any of the worms to the new tank yet. Hopefully I will get that done tomorrow also. I am thinking of adding ribbon leeches as well as the earthworms to my worm experiment. They are not bloodsuckers. Instead they eat small crustaceans and worms. Ribbon leeches can swim pretty well and they can (and do) burrow.

Bump:

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 05:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So I have been thinking about how to make a fuge but not have ugly hoses coming into the tank. It occured to me that I could use a jar or a bottle with a plastic lid inside the tank. The jar or bottle would have ventilation holes in the top which would be big enough for pods, scuds, etc to escape in small numbers, but small enough that fish cannot get in. It would then get a sand/soil mix for substrate and some rock on top. The jar would be small enough to hide behind plants and rock towards the back of the tank so as not to be obvious when viewing it from the front. I would need to be able to access it easily though because the pods would still need food and water changes every so often. I am going to do a search to see if anyone has had success doing this. Surely I am not the first person exactly to have this idea. I know I have cyclops, scuds, and ostracods in the grow-out tank and a few nematodes here and there. If anyone reading this has tried this idea I would love to hear your experiences with it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode