My First go at a planted tank - The Planted Tank Forum
 32Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 38
My First go at a planted tank

Having kept marine for a lot of years and selling that a few years back recently decided I wanted to have a go at a planted tank and so far it has not gone to badly it's been a learning curve but I'm hoping I'm finally getting my head around it all

Here is a few pictures of it when it was first setup 1st October 2019



And where is is now 25 days later still waiting for it to grow out fully.



It has changed a lot over the last month and growth has been excellent had an issue with staghorn alage but I believe I have now got over that and killed it all as it's all gone red hard to see the staghorn as it was only a small amount localised.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Greggz, ipkiss, Tessa and 3 others like this.
Marty.h is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 08:29 PM
Algae Grower
 
iamaloner's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Toronto Canada
Posts: 122
That's really nice looking

What's your substrate and lights?
Planning on anything else stocking wise?

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
iamaloner is offline  
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamaloner View Post
That's really nice looking

What's your substrate and lights?
Planning on anything else stocking wise?

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
Thanks

It has oliver knott nature soil and 4 x 54w HO T5's

Stocking wise I may up the cardinal stocks more but at the minute happy with whats in there

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Marty.h is online now  
 
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 08:35 PM
Algae Grower
 
iamaloner's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Toronto Canada
Posts: 122
That's why it looks so nice. Classic t5hos illumination you have going on there.


Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
Marty.h likes this.
iamaloner is offline  
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamaloner View Post
That's why it looks so nice. Classic t5hos illumination you have going on there.


Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
I know I could of gone LED ect but T5's well and truly proven in marine and freshwater keeping so went with what i know works and seems to be working well at present

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Marty.h is online now  
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 38
Things are still growing away at a very rapid rate and looking healthy and currently no sign of any algae









I also cant seem to get any nitrate reading I've upped the Ei dose and been feeding heavy so looks like the plants are just munching through it.



Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Greggz, ipkiss, Tessa and 3 others like this.
Marty.h is online now  
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 07:36 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
Quagulator's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Forest City ON, Canada
Posts: 1,944
Looks really good.

Try taping the NO3 bottle #2 onto a reciprocating saw and run it for a minute then perform the nitrate test... Joking aside, you have to beat the daylights out of the NO3 bottle #2 for a more accurate measurement.


What are your water changes and NO3 dosing schedule like?
Greggz and Marty.h like this.

__________________________________

If it were easy we wouldn't be here

My 30g Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quagulator is online now  
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagulator View Post
Looks really good.



Try taping the NO3 bottle #2 onto a reciprocating saw and run it for a minute then perform the nitrate test... Joking aside, you have to beat the daylights out of the NO2 bottle #2 for a more accurate measurement.





What are your water changes and NO3 dosing schedule like?
I'm just mixing basic mix up



But I'm dosing 100ml of each component on alternative days and doing as this says



Sunday I do a 50% waterchange which is 200 ish litres

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Greggz likes this.
Marty.h is online now  
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 01:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Greggz's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Novi, MI
Posts: 4,320
Another former reefer coming over the planted tank side.

We have quite a few on here now.

Very, very nice start. And yes, good old T5HO still works quite well.

Looking forward to seeing where this goes.

What size is the tank?
Marty.h and iamaloner like this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
---
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
---
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Greggz is online now  
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Another former reefer coming over the planted tank side.



We have quite a few on here now.



Very, very nice start. And yes, good old T5HO still works quite well.



Looking forward to seeing where this goes.



What size is the tank?
Thanks its 6ft my old reef use to be 6ft some say it's easier coming over to planted once you had marine but it does vary a lot here is my old marine tank



Do I miss it the colours yes but the agro and maintenance no

I like T5's you know where you are with them and proven to work

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Greggz and chicken.nublet like this.
Marty.h is online now  
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 02:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Greggz's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Novi, MI
Posts: 4,320
When you post your fert dosing, it's a good idea to start thinking in ppm vs. tsp. It's the common language around here and will make it easier for others to understand what you are dosing and for you to compare your dosing to others.

There are two calculators that are helpful, Rotalabutterfly and Zorfox. Learn how to use them and they will be your friend.

Is that 6' tank a 125G? If so, I calculated below what your weekly dosing looks like based on 110G of actual water. If it's a different size, very easy to recalculate.

NO3 18.36ppm
PO4 5.67 ppm
K 13.89 ppm
MG 4.32 ppm

The mix does not add Ca, but you might have adequate amount of the tap.

Can't find the actual numbers on the trace mix, but it appears to be a CSM+B clone. If so weekly Fe would be 0.39 ppm.

With a tank that size, no reason to make a solution for the macros. Much easier to just dry dose. You could also increase the concentration of the micros solution. For instance, my Fe from micro dosing is very similar to yours, but I dose 20 ml per day. Simply a richer solution is all.

Hope that helps. And once again, very, very nice start.
Quagulator and Marty.h like this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
---
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
---
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Greggz is online now  
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
When you post your fert dosing, it's a good idea to start thinking in ppm vs. tsp. It's the common language around here and will make it easier for others to understand what you are dosing and for you to compare your dosing to others.



There are two calculators that are helpful, Rotalabutterfly and Zorfox. Learn how to use them and they will be your friend.



Is that 6' tank a 125G? If so, I calculated below what your weekly dosing looks like based on 110G of actual water. If it's a different size, very easy to recalculate.



NO3 18.36ppm

PO4 5.67 ppm

K 13.89 ppm

MG 4.32 ppm



The mix does not add Ca, but you might have adequate amount of the tap.



Can't find the actual numbers on the trace mix, but it appears to be a CSM+B clone. If so weekly Fe would be 0.39 ppm.



With a tank that size, no reason to make a solution for the macros. Much easier to just dry dose. You could also increase the concentration of the micros solution. For instance, my Fe from micro dosing is very similar to yours, but I dose 20 ml per day. Simply a richer solution is all.



Hope that helps. And once again, very, very nice start.
Thanks for taking the time to reply this is all new to me dosing isn't but that consisted of mag,alk and calcium before I'll have a look at them links you provided

The tank is 420 Litre that's not taking away substrate and plants that will bring that volume down

I dont think it's a bad start at all and I'm quite happy with what I have accomplished so far just a case of making sure I stay on track and keep everything in check

What is it you mean by the trace elements as in add raw powder ?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Marty.h is online now  
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 06:29 PM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty.h View Post
Do I miss it the colours yes but the agro and maintenance no

Agreed! I kept reef tanks for a long time but the constant battle against rapidly degrading water quality got old. Now I prefer freshwater with plants and critters that help me keep the tank clean instead of mucking it all up
Marty.h likes this.
powhound84 is offline  
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by powhound84 View Post
Agreed! I kept reef tanks for a long time but the constant battle against rapidly degrading water quality got old. Now I prefer freshwater with plants and critters that help me keep the tank clean instead of mucking it all up
It was a constant battle adjusting doser chasing numbers to keep a balance, I dont miss waking up thinking what coral has stripped this morning or bailed out of its skeleton for absolutely no reason at all then having to throw a very expensive skeleton in the bin , that's not including the nights infront of tank with red torch looking for stow always and setting traps to catch the nasty crabs , bobbit worms and polyclad flatworms to name a few I had to catch over the years they honestly get draining at times

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
powhound84 likes this.
Marty.h is online now  
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 11:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Greggz's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Novi, MI
Posts: 4,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty.h View Post
What is it you mean by the trace elements as in add raw powder ?
For a tank that size, no sense in making a solution for macros.

You can just dry dose with tablespoons or preferably a gram scale.

For instance, I recalculated your KNO3 dosing based on 100G (378L).

Right now you are making a solution that provides 6.73 NO3 per 100ml dose......



Here is the same calculated for dry dosing. So instead of the solution you would dose 4.19 grams of dry KNO3 (about 3/4 tsp).



Hope that makes sense.

And I found your trace mix listed on Rotalabutterfly.



So you are dosing 0.26 Fe per dose. But that's a 100ml dose, and you will be making solutions quite often.

You can create the same ppm with a smaller dose by making the solution stronger......



Again, hope that makes sense and helps.
ipkiss and Marty.h like this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
---
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
---
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Greggz is online now  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome