40B Nature Scape - The Planted Tank Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
40B Nature Scape

Been out of the game for a while but I’ve been itching to get back into it and I’ve now got my 40B well on its way. I’ve grown very fond of the nature style tanks and I have been collecting materials for a while now. I’ve always wanted to do a sump so I decided to drill my tank and hooked up the Eshoppes Eclipse Bean Animal. It’s certainly overkill for my size tank, but an overflow to me provides a clean look. I had an old AGA tank stand that I had initially coated with spar urethane but I have since stripped, sanded, and painted it white with topside paint. I also added new bronze hinges and knobs to the front of the doors. I have collected several pieces of spiderwood for my hardscape, and managed to get some great rock locally from an outdoor hardscape center for $20 and I still have plenty left over. I’m trying for a triangular layout and this is what I have created thus far. I think I did a good job for my first go round but let me know what you guys think. The plan is to utilize either a complimenting gravel or sand in the front and the entire rear of the scape will be filled with aquatic soil. I will use plenty of buce and anubias for the cracks in the rock work and the branches of the spider wood. I also plan to use some java fern and bolbitis in the center of the spider wood. For the background, a mix of stem plants that will gradually slope to the right to give the triangular effect. I’ll continue to update my progress, as I need some more items to get the tank running. CO2 injection and the Twinstar 900S is my plan. I also mocked up my own internal Venturi from Tom’s design. Appreciate any feedback
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C8220658-0820-40F9-A781-BF7E89058658_1572107844101.jpeg
Views:	84
Size:	2.49 MB
ID:	888633  

Name:	857B1D33-47FE-4CDA-8DA5-006B1356142A_1572107934333.jpeg
Views:	83
Size:	2.46 MB
ID:	888635  

Name:	296250E4-2D48-4C15-A801-33AA806C9D99_1572107965849.jpeg
Views:	66
Size:	3.91 MB
ID:	888637  

Name:	90FA5D54-A056-4F63-B01F-D4501660275B_1572107994188.jpeg
Views:	78
Size:	886.2 KB
ID:	888639  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 07:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Really like the hardscape! Good luck!
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotCousteau View Post
Really like the hardscape! Good luck!
thanks! I was worried about the rocks because It’s not easy to find common aquascape rock so I decided to give landscape river rock a try and it looks great with the spiderwood!

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 02:49 AM
Wannabe Guru

I'd be very leery of that rock and how its going effect hardness/PH in tank. Looks like limestone so probably will leach large amounts of Ca and Mg into water.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 03:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
I'd be very leery of that rock and how its going effect hardness/PH in tank. Looks like limestone so probably will leach large amounts of Ca and Mg into water.
oh gosh don’t tell me that lol I’ve already tested all the pieces with acid and none of them fizzed.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 05:55 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Shenanagins View Post
oh gosh donít tell me that lol Iíve already tested all the pieces with acid and none of them fizzed.
OK, if you've tested it. Is possible that is a quartz based sandstone.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
Quote:
oh gosh don’t tell me that lol I’ve already tested all the pieces with acid and none of them fizzed.
OK, if you've tested it. Is possible that is a quartz based sandstone.
yes I believe that’s correct, the stones are from Tennessee so my initial fear was that they were limestone but I tried the acid test on every rock and even cracked one open to test unweathered portion and no reaction whatsoever
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 11:53 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
yes I believe that’s correct, the stones are from Tennessee so my initial fear was that they were limestone but I tried the acid test on every rock and even cracked one open to test unweathered portion and no reaction whatsoever
You should still soak one in water and test for gh and ph rise as compared to another glass of water pulled at the same time. Dolomite will often not have any reaction to the acid test but will still react in an aquarium. The acid test identifies 95% but the last 5% can really suck for us.

I am not at all familiar with the venturi. I have dabbled with a venturi design for my own use but it never seemed to produce the results I wanted, do you have a link for this creature? I am interested in anything that increases oxygen without outgassing co2.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post

You should still soak one in water and test for gh and ph rise as compared to another glass of water pulled at the same time. Dolomite will often not have any reaction to the acid test but will still react in an aquarium. The acid test identifies 95% but the last 5% can really suck for us.

I am not at all familiar with the venturi. I have dabbled with a venturi design for my own use but it never seemed to produce the results I wanted, do you have a link for this creature? I am interested in anything that increases oxygen without outgassing co2.
I didn’t think there would be any dolomite present if there is no calcite present? Last night I scratched off crushed grains and tested it, no reaction. I’ll try again today with a warm solution of acid and see if that gets a reaction
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 10:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
I didnít think there would be any dolomite present if there is no calcite present? Last night I scratched off crushed grains and tested it, no reaction. Iíll try again today with a warm solution of acid and see if that gets a reaction
Ah now you are going beyond my limited chemistry and geology experience. The foolproof method is to try it and measure the results. Beyond that you need more know how then I posses ;P
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:

Ah now you are going beyond my limited chemistry and geology experience. The foolproof method is to try it and measure the results. Beyond that you need more know how then I posses ;P
Lol no worries, I tried all the ways I could to test and no fizzing, just some staining from where the acid was dropped. I believe it is more of a quartz based rock like a previous poster mentioned.

n regards to the link for the Venturi, it’s the design from Tom Barr http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ctor-w-venturi

I’ve used it in the past and it worked very well. I wasn’t into the whole misting effect so I liked the idea of full dissolution, the only downside is it could be an eyesore in the tank. Mine will be in a sump and the one I had in the past was in a AIO tank with an integrated sump.
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 02:19 AM
Wannabe Guru

Ahh the Venturi is just for co2. I thought it was a means of oxygenating the water. I have been trying to find a way of adding extra oxygen to the water without bubbles outgassing my co2.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Ahh the Venturi is just for co2. I thought it was a means of oxygenating the water. I have been trying to find a way of adding extra oxygen to the water without bubbles outgassing my co2.
I don’t see why you couldn’t still use the reactor. Instead of the CO2 line hooked up you can hook up an air pump. I would just use a small air pump so the bubble rate doesn’t outcompete the rate of dissolution.
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 03:04 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
I apologize for incorrect information as my grasp of this chemistry is limited but it's my understanding that with sufficient surface exchange, co2 in water will reach equilibrium with the co2 concentration in the air above the tank. So therefore extra bubbles wont reduce the co2 lower than it is in the air. So unless you are adding co2, adding more bubbles will only bring the level of co2 in line with the air in your room.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 03:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
I don’t see why you couldn’t still use the reactor. Instead of the CO2 line hooked up you can hook up an air pump. I would just use a small air pump so the bubble rate doesn’t outcompete the rate of dissolution.
I have actually tried this.. a few times now really. It doesn't work very well because regular room air really really does not want to dissolve into water. It obviously does but only to a very limited extent. Even 1 bubble every 2 seconds for a 5 gallon bucket of water was way too fast. Somewhere around 1 bubble every 10 seconds seems to be the right rate but keeping that level of precision with the equipment I was using was difficult. Also my reactor was extremely large.

My issue is that I want to run pressurized co2 into a reactor. I also want to oxygenate my water for general improvement of fish health. If I have air bubbles reaching the surface then I will be outgassing my co2 at a rapid rate. Thus I am searching for a bubble-free method of oxygenation (other then plants of course).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampGirl View Post
I apologize for incorrect information as my grasp of this chemistry is limited but it's my understanding that with sufficient surface exchange, co2 in water will reach equilibrium with the co2 concentration in the air above the tank. So therefore extra bubbles wont reduce the co2 lower than it is in the air. So unless you are adding co2, adding more bubbles will only bring the level of co2 in line with the air in your room.
My chemistry is also crappy so I can't tell you exactly where it all falls apart but it does somewhere along the way. Otherwise plants would grow as quickly with an airstone as they would with a dry start, which they clearly don't. Also, I do plan to have pressurized co2 running in my future tank, thus I am trying to find a way of saturate my water with oxygen without outgassing my co2.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode