nicoleah's 72 gallon bow front build - The Planted Tank Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
nicoleah's 72 gallon bow front build

Hey all! I am replacing my ancient 29 gallon tank with a 72 gallon bow front I scored for cheap. I had to reseal it since it had been dry (and still salty...) for years, so please ignore the heavy-handed silicone job, it was my first attempt ever. It's not pretty but it worked. Let it cure for a week and yes, I tested it outside. Woohoo, no leaks! Then I installed a prismatic window film and some color-changing LED lights for the backdrop. Lyric the nosy cat for scale.

- Nikki
__________________________________________________ ____________________________________________
72 gallon bow front community planted tank started 10/19 & 10 gallon betta planted tank blackwater as of 01/20 - nicoleah218 on Instagram

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I (very carefully!) stapled the light strand to a piece of clear mesh left over from another project, then tacked this to the wall behind the tank. I’ll have to get video of this and post a link, I love how it turned out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tessa likes this.

- Nikki
__________________________________________________ ____________________________________________
72 gallon bow front community planted tank started 10/19 & 10 gallon betta planted tank blackwater as of 01/20 - nicoleah218 on Instagram

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by nicoleah; 10-23-2019 at 09:18 PM. Reason: edit
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

nicoleah's 72 gallon bow front build

I went the drainage crate method for a support structure, built a hill of large black lava rocks (my background in saltwater tanks is showing! haha), then filled them in with crushed black lava rock. I then topped the substrate with medium grade black diamond blasting sand, which filled in even more gaps between the rocks. I'd like to plant either a moss or short carpeting plant between the rocks. I have plenty of riccia and java moss in another tank but am considering either monte carlo or dwarf baby tears. I won't be running CO2 for a couple of months but it will be added down the road. Any suggestions?

The attached photo is before I added the sand and I removed the driftwood on the left side already, I was still just playing around with it, I'll probably do "trees" on that side instead since I have a lot of driftwood in the 29 gallon I am replacing.
varanidguy likes this.

- Nikki

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 09:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

Can't wait to see some more pictures on this!
nicoleah likes this.

|
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Just a ridiculously reflected cell phone pic after I added the sand.

The tank has been filled and the sump is running, so Iíll get better photos once the water clears up. I canít wait to start transferring over plants from the old tank!

varanidguy likes this.

- Nikki

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Itís a sump! Vectra M1 return pump, Lifereef overflow, DIY trickle filter made from two sterilite drawer sets (Man, I love YouTube!) Lots of bio media and foam blocks. Blue Store bucket will be hooked up to my Eheim ATO at some point. The 20 gallon high tank for the sump had to be put in place from the top of the stand. I had read this online somewhere when researching sump sizes so had planned for it and averted a potential problem.

varanidguy likes this.

- Nikki

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 10:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoleah View Post

Itís a sump! Vectra M1 return pump, Lifereef overflow, DIY trickle filter made from two sterilite drawer sets (Man, I love YouTube!) Lots of bio media and foam blocks. Blue Store bucket will be hooked up to my Eheim ATO at some point. The 20 gallon high tank for the sump had to be put in place from the top of the stand. I had read this online somewhere when researching sump sizes so had planned for it and averted a potential problem.

That looks really good! I was going to say that the trickle filter looks similar to the kind Joey (the King of DIY) made for his DIY sumps video.

|
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

FTS. Water is clearing up and the driftwood is sinking randomly. I ordered some additional large lava rocks from the Orange Store to cover up the bits of visible drainage cells.

varanidguy likes this.

- Nikki

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 12:13 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoleah View Post
I went the drainage crate method for a support structure, built a hill of large black lava rocks (my background in saltwater tanks is showing! haha), then filled them in with crushed black lava rock. I then topped the substrate with medium grade black diamond blasting sand, which filled in even more gaps between the rocks. I'd like to plant either a moss or short carpeting plant between the rocks. I have plenty of riccia and java moss in another tank but am considering either monte carlo or dwarf baby tears. I won't be running CO2 for a couple of months but it will be added down the road. Any suggestions?

The attached photo is before I added the sand and I removed the driftwood on the left side already, I was still just playing around with it, I'll probably do "trees" on that side instead since I have a lot of driftwood in the 29 gallon I am replacing.
I don't think Monte Carlo or dwarf baby tears would do well in BDBS without CO2. Maybe something like helanthium tennelum or dwarf hairgrass?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 01:08 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (497/100%)
Your rock work is really great.

Maybe you could consider Fissidens fontanus in and around the various crevices?

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by varanidguy View Post
That looks really good! I was going to say that the trickle filter looks similar to the kind Joey (the King of DIY) made for his DIY sumps video.

Hah, yep. Thatís exactly where I got the idea!

varanidguy likes this.

- Nikki

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjcarew View Post
I don't think Monte Carlo or dwarf baby tears would do well in BDBS without CO2. Maybe something like helanthium tennelum or dwarf hairgrass?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Hhhhmmmm, too grassy for how I'm picturing it. Either of those you mentioned would look great around the base of the "mountain", so I appreciate the idea!

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Your rock work is really great.

Maybe you could consider Fissidens fontanus in and around the various crevices?
Pretty! I like the feathery appearance.

- Nikki

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I rearranged a few things and finally added some plants to the new tank. I decided to only use the established anubias covered driftwood piece from the 29 gallon so I removed the other big pieces from the last pics. I had a ton of java fern so I planted it all over the ďhillĒ, I really like how itís turned out so far!

varanidguy and Desert Pupfish like this.

- Nikki

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 08:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

That looks really good! Itís gonna be awesome when it all grows in!

|
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by varanidguy View Post
That looks really good! Itís gonna be awesome when it all grows in!

Thanks!! I moved in some of the fish (guppies) from the 29 but I still need to remove the rest of the plants and empty it out all the way. I have a TON of crypt wendtii "bronze" still in there that I don't need.

- Nikki

Tags
72 gallon, bow front, bowfront

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode