• 1 Post By SwampGirl
  • 1 Post By Janci
  • 1 Post By Mike00726

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Landen 60S 8.6 Gallon Shallow

Having the 7-gallon low tech Waterbox for the past year wasnít scratching my planted tank itch enough, so the wife okayed a new tank for the living room.

I decided that I wanted a shallow tank, (shallow is much easier to aquascape IMO). I was looking at the 60-F and the 45-F. Aquamaxx makes a nice 9.1 gallon, which is 23.5x9.5x9.5, very close to pulling the trigger with that one., but I found the Landen 60S 8.6 gallon which is 23.5x12x7 roughly. This was sold and shipped by a company on Long Island called Nature Aquascapes. The price was $99.99 including shipping and tax.

I received the tank the other day, delivered by FedEx and it was shocked when I opened it to find that it only had sytrofoam at the corners, with no other packaging. If anyone has ever purchased a tank for Marine Depot knows what I am talking about-- packaging peanut city. I know that FedEx goes much easier on their packages, but I was still nervous doing the leak test.

Leak test passed, and very impressed with the workmanship and the silicone. The glass is flawless.
Name:  Lg_corner_27f17a30-f819-4b7a-bdc1-b56e218bccbf_360x.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  11.1 KB

Next up was the light and I was agonizing over this as since this is a shallow tank, I wanted a nice view from the top. I donít like the look of the Twinstars or the ADA type LEDs, and I didnít want a huge light arm hanging over the tank.

I ended up with the Finnex Planted+ 24/7. I like the sleek look, and the adjustability, but I will have to sacrifice some top view.

A little frosted backing from Amazon ($8). It went on easy and smooth.
Click image for larger version

Name:	719j1-G9GiL._SL1000_.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	211.3 KB
ID:	888149

Going straight Iwugami on this aquascape, with a white sand front and a Seriyu stone barrier, sloped up corners with an HC carpet. Itís going to be a dry start with seeds from an auction site. I have used these before with great success, but I will just have to be patient.

After three weeks it is looking pretty good.
Name:  IMG_0584.JPG
Views: 99
Size:  105.5 KB
Name:  IMG_0585.JPG
Views: 95
Size:  122.9 KB
CO2 is going to be JARDLI Aquarium CO2 Regulator with Solenoid and a paintball tank.
Name:  81mUEC8JBlL._SX466_.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  22.5 KB

Now, I have to decide on a filter. After 20 years of using canister filters, I find them a little too finicky, for my liking, and considering the fact that I donít have room on the bottom of the tank for it, I am going HOB. I have used the Aquaclear before, and I like the Fluval C2 and Tidal 35 models, with the adjustability of the media and flow.

Scratch that. The tank is way too shallow and the HOB would probably look silly. I picked up the Oase Filtosmart 60. I can sneak the Oase behind the tank with minimal visibility, just need to eventually find some short lily pipes. Oase is a new product for me, and hopefully I wonít have any issues.

Oase media is going right in the trash. Filling it up with Purigen, Seachem Matrix and a nylon bag of Ammonia remover.

Time for the fill up.
Discusluv likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Wait a minute. Wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Because he's thirsty, dummy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 04:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Looks like you have a great start on this tank.
You kinda teased us with what it looks like underneath the film- lol!
Raising the anticipation to get a good look
Mike00726 likes this.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Looks like you have a great start on this tank.
You kinda teased us with what it looks like underneath the film- lol!
Raising the anticipation to get a good look
Thanks. Filling it tonight and going to get some FTS.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Light suspension DIY comingClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0591.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	303.6 KB
ID:	888369
Econde, Discusluv and Janci like this.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 02:14 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Have you really had luck with seeds from auction sites?? Everyone I have seen says they are either non-aquatic species or really weedy ones like Hygro Polysperma that don't stay low and carpet. I have literally never seen a success story so I would be very interested in seeing your tanks that had used seeds before!
Mike00726 likes this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

They have worked for me in the past. Let's see how it goes.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 03:04 PM
Algae Grower

Looking great.
How is that background film in hiding the filter hoses? Is this visible with the lights on?
Mike00726 likes this.

Just in for information... and planning, a lot of planning
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janci View Post
Looking great.
How is that background film in hiding the filter hoses? Is this visible with the lights on?
Thanks. The light is hiding the hoses right now with the angle of the pic. I have some lily pipes on order and waiting on a few parts for a DIY light stand.
Janci likes this.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

3 weeks in water and it is still looking ok.

Name:	IMG_0591.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	303.6 KB
ID:	888697

DIY light stand with Home Depot industrial pipes. About $35 in materials.
Just waiting on the lily pipes.

Name:	IMG_0601.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	290.3 KB
ID:	888699

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 12:49 PM
Algae Grower

Nice looks good keep it up. I have a ~7 gallon landen cube ~ 12x12x12 w the same filtosmart 60. Jardli 10mm lily pipes work well. Been eyeing a tank w dimensions like yours. Does flow seem fine for the length of your tank?
I feel like the flow on mine is a tad weaker than id like but maybe thats cos i packed it with a lot of media
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hojae84 View Post
Nice looks good keep it up. I have a ~7 gallon landen cube ~ 12x12x12 w the same filtosmart 60. Jardli 10mm lily pipes work well. Been eyeing a tank w dimensions like yours. Does flow seem fine for the length of your tank?
I feel like the flow on mine is a tad weaker than id like but maybe thats cos i packed it with a lot of media
Yeah, I am happy with the filter, flow seems fine. Decent power for its size.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode