History of my 10 gallon tank. (+tank journal) - The Planted Tank Forum
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
History of my 10 gallon tank. (+tank journal)

Hi everyone, I just wanted to start this thread to talk about the path of my 10-gallon tank. It all started 30+ years ago (I didn't know they had glass back then!) when my dad kept tons of reptiles. He grew up and sold them all at some point or another, and for no apparent reason kept this 10 gallon laying around. Several years ago, I found it in the garage and decided to do hermit crabs. That was pretty short-lived, and it went back into storage. ~2-3 years ago, we moved to where we are now. About a year after we moved in, we had some friends over for dinner(for them to eat dinner with us. Definitely not to eat them) and their dad started talking about how he used to keep aggressive cichlids. I was interested and started researching. I soon realized cichlids would be too small for a 10-gallon tank so I got 11 neon tetras, 1 red tail dalmation platy, and 2 zebra nerites. I had no clue about the Nitrogen cycle, and the snails and platy died. The tetras lived though. This was all about 9 months ago. Then, 2 days ago, the last of the tetras were gone. Now I have a tank and a bunch of equipment laying on towels in by bedroom drying from their bleach bath. Any suggestions on plants? I will NEVER have a non planted tank again lol.
Discusluv likes this.

75 gallon planted tank. About to stock.
10 gallon QT

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one” – Bruce Lee

75 gallon tank journal
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 03:06 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I would encourage you to read Diana Walstad's book and articles. There are many ways to go, but I like a low-maintenance ecosystem.
aquanerd13 likes this.

Style: Organic soil, sand, gravel, plants, moss, algae, snails, shrimp, small fish
Tech: Fluval Plant 3.0 Nano, Top Fin MF10, Tunze 3161, Neptune Apex EL
Tanks:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 03:36 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquanerd13 View Post
Hi everyone, I just wanted to start this thread to talk about the path of my 10-gallon tank. It all started 30+ years ago (I didn't know they had glass back then!) when my dad kept tons of reptiles. He grew up and sold them all at some point or another, and for no apparent reason kept this 10 gallon laying around. Several years ago, I found it in the garage and decided to do hermit crabs. That was pretty short-lived, and it went back into storage. ~2-3 years ago, we moved to where we are now. About a year after we moved in, we had some friends over for dinner(for them to eat dinner with us. Definitely not to eat them) and their dad started talking about how he used to keep aggressive cichlids. I was interested and started researching. I soon realized cichlids would be too small for a 10-gallon tank so I got 11 neon tetras, 1 red tail dalmation platy, and 2 zebra nerites. I had no clue about the Nitrogen cycle, and the snails and platy died. The tetras lived though. This was all about 9 months ago. Then, 2 days ago, the last of the tetras were gone. Now I have a tank and a bunch of equipment laying on towels in by bedroom drying from their bleach bath. Any suggestions on plants? I will NEVER have a non planted tank again lol.
For plants you could do some nano vals, small swords, and rhizomes.

I'm working on the same project as you.

Small swords > E Parviflorus Tropica & E. Schlueteri aka Cordifolius 'mini".

rhizomes > any number of Anubias and/or Buce.

You could even experiment with small Crypts.

I'm going to be planting a stem called Creeping Charlie.

I read the Walstad book (twice) and would love to do a tank like that in the future. What concerns me is it seems a number of people have various issues with the substrate.

Good luck!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
aquanerd13 likes this.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 04:04 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I made those substrate mistakes.

I used too much soil and/or cap in a few tanks. I have replanted two tanks, with two more to go.

For capping soil, I now use just enough sand to keep the soil from blooming when I plant, and then just a little bit of gravel if there is any flow moving the sand.
aquanerd13 and Nature Freak like this.

Style: Organic soil, sand, gravel, plants, moss, algae, snails, shrimp, small fish
Tech: Fluval Plant 3.0 Nano, Top Fin MF10, Tunze 3161, Neptune Apex EL
Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|

Last edited by Streetwise; 10-11-2019 at 04:20 AM. Reason: Details
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 05:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks @Nature Freak. Good plant suggestions. I was also thinking of getting an aquasprout garden for this tank. Not sure how that would do with aquatic plants to.
Nature Freak likes this.

10 gallon QT

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one” – Bruce Lee

75 gallon tank journal
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So I have been thinking, and I am having a very hard time deciding on what style of aquascape to do. Any ideas? It is a bit short for dutch, and I would do a nature aquarium except I don't want to do hi-tech. Keep in mind I will be using PSF as a substrate. Perhaps a mini biotope?

10 gallon QT

75 gallon tank journal

Last edited by aquanerd13; 10-11-2019 at 06:15 PM. Reason: forgot stuff
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 06:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Do you think a blackwater biotope would appeal to you?

You could do an apistogramma pair and a group of 12 Rummynose or Green neon tetras ( these guys are extremely hearty and do not have the same frequency of issues with NTD seen in farm raised neon tetras). This would be a really interesting set-up because you could see the breeding behaviors of these cichlids as well as see the more natural behavoirs of small tetras from blackwater areas.

For a blackwater biotope-ish ( these plants will not be endemic to South America), the central features would be driftwood, dried leaves like oak or catalpa on substrate, and maybe the addition of some alder cones. It is simple.
I would use plants that thrive in low light conditions: java ferns, java moss, and anubias tied to branches, crypts, etc...

Here are a couple references to look at. You dont have to do it like they do it, but you might get some good ideas here and there from them.

https://www.reef2rainforest.com/2017...egro-aquarium/
https://fish.mongabay.com/biotope_amazon_blackwater.htm

And images:
https://www.google.com/search?q=blac...w=1365&bih=591
aquanerd13 likes this.

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Great idea Amy. I have been wanting to do a blackwater biotope with GBRs for a while now, but I think I will wait until I have the rack of 20 longs and then do it. Thanks for the idea though. I will keep it in mind. Maybe a blackwater betta tank in this one?

So here is my plant idea so far. BTW these are just plants I am thinking of, I will NOT be using all of them. What do you think?

rotala rotundifolia

ludwigia arcuata

ludwigia repens

ludwigia palustris

ambulia

cabomba

cryptocoryne wendtii

compacta amazon sword

java moss

dwarf sagittaria

pearl weed

java fern varities

bolbotis diformis

Heteranthera zosterifolia
Discusluv and Streetwise like this.

10 gallon QT

75 gallon tank journal

Last edited by aquanerd13; 10-11-2019 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Stuff
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 07:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquanerd13 View Post
Great idea Amy. I have been wanting to do a blackwater biotope with GBRs for a while now, but I think I will wait until I have the rack of 20 longs and then do it. Thanks for the idea though. I will keep it in mind. Maybe a blackwater betta tank in this one?

So here is my plant idea so far. BTW these are just plants I am thinking of, I will NOT be using all of them. What do you think?

rotala rotundifolia

ludwigia arcuata

ludwigia repens

ludwigia palustris

ambulia

cabomba

cryptocoryne wendtii

compacta amazon sword

java moss

dwarf sagittaria

pearl weed

java fern varities

bolbotis diformis

Blackwater betta tank would be great! Wetspot has had several wild bettas in the past that would give you more variety to choose from then those we typically see in cups at Petco.

Here are some different varieties they may carry:

https://www.aquariadise.com/wild-betta-fish-9/
Streetwise and aquanerd13 like this.

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 07:33 PM
Planted Member

I think my current plant is best plant for low tech: hygrophila corymbosa

Everything else just grows too fast and eventually runs out of iron or something else.
aquanerd13 likes this.

--UN--
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I think I may even do a sort of paludarium like this with rocks and drift wood.

Discusluv and Streetwise like this.

10 gallon QT

75 gallon tank journal

Last edited by aquanerd13; 10-11-2019 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Found more info
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Wet spot carries 2 types of wild bettas right now. One is $15, the other is $24. I am not willing to spend that much on one fish yet, so I am leaning towards a blackwater biotope. Like the Rio Negro one Amy mentioned. But then my weird well water. GH/KH both 3, PH 7.6. What would work for this? Do tannins lower the PH?
Discusluv likes this.

10 gallon QT

75 gallon tank journal

Last edited by aquanerd13; 10-12-2019 at 01:16 AM. Reason: More info
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 03:08 PM
Algae Grower

@Streetwise I believe Walstad uses one inch max potting soil and one inch cap? Is that what you've discovered works? Do you mineralize the soil?

Regarding the gravel so you only put it around certain places like to hold a plant down or whatever?

As my handle implies I'd really like to go El Natural...

But I don't want to kill my fish in the process or be dealing with massive algea blooms. I'm guessing if you take the time to wash the soil a bunch then it's not going to create ammonia spikes and be leaching a lot of organic compounds?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Bump:

10 gallon QT

75 gallon tank journal

Last edited by aquanerd13; 10-16-2019 at 01:01 AM. Reason: ...
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 01:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So this is going to be a shrimp tank. There are a few obstacles though. I need an RO system so I can make water suitable for shrimp. Any suggestions on RO units? How about his one?

https://www.amazon.com/Aquatic-Life-...1617011&sr=8-5

Also, should I do dirted?

10 gallon QT

75 gallon tank journal

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode