10 gallon low tech residency stress relief - The Planted Tank Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 03:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
10 gallon low tech residency stress relief

Hello everybody I decided to get back into the hobby and restart a 10 gallon low tech project that I had given up on a few years ago. As the title says I am resident physician and at the moment and life is stressful, but I figured a calm and beautiful tank at home might be able to help a little! At the moment I have the tank, substrate, lighting, and some hardscape... the rest is a blank canvas, which admittedly I still need some help making some decisions . I think the goal with this project will to be to try to make a centerpiece style scape with some kind of carpet around it. I would like to try to do a dry start to give the carpet the best chance to succeed in questionable light and no CO2.

specs:

tank: typical cheapo 10 gallon rimmed tank

substrate: 1/2" of organic potting soil capped with variable amounts of inert black sand

lighting: Finnex fugeray plant+ i believe, I bought the thing about 6 years ago. I'm not sure if it's still putting out enough PAR anymore, but it has worked well in the past.

filter: in the past I have gotten away without one but will probably get a hang on the back. up for any recommendations here.

heater: none at the moment, will need one for winter. any recs appreciated.

local water parameters: pH 8.2, TDS 380s :/

Once I figure out how to post pictures again I will post where I am so far.

Any suggestions on what carpet plant would do best dry started and then low tech? I am tentatively planning for m. monte carlo at this point, but I have always loved the look of DHG so maybe I'll try a little of both. Any thoughts on using e. tennulus as a mid ground plant?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 03:35 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I finally found some time to post some pictures of my progress. I haven't done this is a while so hopefully they posted correctly.

I still need to get small filter and a heater. What are some good options for well priced yet well thought of filters and heaters for a 10 gallon?

For the update those last pictures are day 1 of my dry start for DHG "mini" and monte carlo. Unfortunately most of the monte carlo came in bad shape so we'll see if it turns around.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191009_172433_1571711418292.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	4.07 MB
ID:	888411  

Name:	20191011_182128_1571711564540.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	3.76 MB
ID:	888413  

Name:	20191019_160456_1571711590380.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	3.57 MB
ID:	888415  

Name:	20191019_160504_1571711602731.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	3.70 MB
ID:	888417  

Discusluv and chicken.nublet like this.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 04:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Your off to a good start- it really looks nice too! That's a great piece of wood!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 03:40 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (497/100%)
Definitely off to a nice start. Only thing I'd do is add a dark/black background.

One thing that you can do to make the grass spread a bit better is break it up into smaller portions. Then plant it in an alternating grid pattern.

For filter: Consider Aquaclear 20. The AC20 has adjustable flow and you can easily stick a pre-filter sponge over the intake to prevent small fish or shrimp from getting sucked up. Has lots of space for filter media and is even large enough to run a package of Purigen or other media if it's ever needed. They don't cost much more than cheap-o small filters you can get on Amazon.

A heater may not be necessary depending upon what you keep. If you want fish, then I'm guessing it could be necessary. But if you're going only for shrimp (less maintenance, only feeding a couple times per week, can kinda be neglected)? Then they'll be fine in really cool temperatures.

Will you be attaching anything to the wood?
Discusluv likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Definitely off to a nice start. Only thing I'd do is add a dark/black background.

One thing that you can do to make the grass spread a bit better is break it up into smaller portions. Then plant it in an alternating grid pattern.

For filter: Consider Aquaclear 20. The AC20 has adjustable flow and you can easily stick a pre-filter sponge over the intake to prevent small fish or shrimp from getting sucked up. Has lots of space for filter media and is even large enough to run a package of Purigen or other media if it's ever needed. They don't cost much more than cheap-o small filters you can get on Amazon.

A heater may not be necessary depending upon what you keep. If you want fish, then I'm guessing it could be necessary. But if you're going only for shrimp (less maintenance, only feeding a couple times per week, can kinda be neglected)? Then they'll be fine in really cool temperatures.

Will you be attaching anything to the wood?
Yes a background is something I will be adding soon. I was thinking a frosted one, but black is nice too.

I did decide to go with an AC20. As for stocking I was planning on stocking pretty heavily with a shoal of green neon tetras if I can find them and then a single male apisto or beta... I'm still thinking about it. I have done shrimp in the past and I agree they would be much easier, however my fiance and I really want some fish/ personality this time.

And as far as the driftwood goes I will be adding some buce that I already have to the base on the wood along with whatever mini java ferns I can get my hands on haha. I do like the look of needle leaf java fern as well as well. I think I will leave most of the wood exposed overall though. I will also be adding some crypt wendtii and some stems around and behind the wood. The main question for me is whether or not the carpeting plants will survive. I have had mixed experiences in the past so we will see.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 01:34 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

Re: backgrounds - if you have access to both frosted and black? Get both to see which you prefer in real life. Options are a good thing.

Re: fish - Consider some of the Boraras species. B. merah, B. brigittae, B. maculatus would all be great. You could do a group of 20-21. They'd provide plenty of personality and a lot of color. May be easier to get your hands on than Tetras. Boraras are tiny little hunters and they explore non-stop as a group.
Desert Pupfish likes this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 12:20 AM
Planted Member

I love that wood
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Sorry for the lack of updates but yesterday I flooded the tank after 48 days of letting the plants grow in a dry start fashion. Overall I think everything went well, but I did have some die back of my monte carlo right before I flooded because I went out of town for 7 days and it was not misted a single time during the time span. The other problem was fungus on my spider wood. I decided to just leave it alone but at times it spread and killed some of the plants that were next to the wood and now my wood is stained black or white depending on the area. Hopefully the fungus will resolve now that it's under water.

Now I guess the next big question I have is how are my plants going to convert. I am not running CO2 so so I'm a little concerned that everything will melt and that I will end up with giant algae mess, but I will be ready for that scenario if it arises lol.

As for livestock and I think I will go with 10 to 15 green neons as I originally said and I will pair them with a single male apsito or a betta. I think I will add some ghost shrimp and some snails as early as this weekend. I had been cycling my filter in a bucket for the past 10 days and it already has mature media so it may not take long for cycling.

As for pictures I will post them soon. It's not letting me attach them from Google photos like it did before for some reason so I'll have to figure out another way.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 12:35 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

Glad to hear you stuck with it and have finally flooded the tank. Looking forward to photos.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 02:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Pictures posted finally!

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-18-2019, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Brief update:

12/15- I added 10 green neon tetras and I impulsively added 2 hara jerdoni. So far everyone looks very healthy and happy. So far the fauna in the tank includes 3 nerite snails, 4 ghost shrimp, and 1 amano shrimp.

As far as the plants go the DHG is spreading rapidly and getting taller. The monte carlo is adjusting a little slower but it's putting out a lot of new growth. The crypt. wendtii, buce, and stargyne repens completely melted, but have started to make a come back.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-18-2019, 04:27 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Let's see those bad boys.

Am I crazy or isn't DHG a high light plant that requires CO2?

It's working for you so clearly I'm wrong

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I may not know everything but I sure do act like it
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-19-2019, 03:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Not sure if this is allowed but I posted a gif of the fish on reddit at the link below. I really like the tight schooling of them. I just need to get them to eat something now. The blood worms and mysis shrimp I have are way too big for them and they don't seem to like my spectrum micro pellets that I have. I'll have to see if my lfs has something frozen that is really small. Otherwise I'm going to have to cut up the foods I have and I'm not really interested in doing that all the time.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PlantedTank...m_source=share
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-19-2019, 11:52 AM
Algae Grower

Looks great. for some reason the 10 gallon has always been my favorite size. Probably because it was my biggest tank for years til my 29 followed by a 40.

210 Tanganyika Frontosa Tank
120P Dutch style planted started 7/21/19
40 Cyprichromis colony
47 column Koi / blue marble Angel colony
90L UNS Iwagumi with HC
5N / 3N nanos coming soon
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Brief update: 45 days since flooding

Fauna and flora doing great. I'm pleasantly surprised with how well the dwarf hair grass and monte carlo are doing without CO2. I just starting dosing thrive fertilizers 10 days ago because I did not like the look of the new growth on my s. repens. I have also added some fissidens fontanus to the wood, but I'm not sure if I like at how it looks. I also added some anubias nana petite and there is some struggling hydrocotyle Japan in the back.

As far the fauna goes all the fish, shrimp, and snails are still alive and doing well. I plan on adding at least a male triple red apisto cacatuoides this week and maybe some pygmy cories. I'm just not sure if it's a good idea to overstock the tank to that degree lol so still thinking about it.

Let me know your thoughts and or concerns.

Sean

Last edited by gatorsean21; 01-06-2020 at 09:30 PM. Reason: spelling

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode