300 Gallon Planted Tank - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 619Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 313 (permalink) Old 02-19-2020, 02:42 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fftfk View Post
Started on the cover for the sump...hopefully it doesnít warp too bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is the cover the clear plexiglass? If so I tied it on a 10g and it bowed pretty decently, see if you can get glass cut to size if it's not already glass.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
fftfk likes this.

300g 8' acrylic aquarium acquired, in process to build/setup/plan setup

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 313 (permalink) Old 02-19-2020, 02:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chayos00 View Post
Is the cover the clear plexiglass? If so I tied it on a 10g and it bowed pretty decently, see if you can get glass cut to size if it's not already glass.

Shoot - thatís what I worried about. Time to find a glass cutter.

chayos00 likes this.
post #33 of 313 (permalink) Old 02-19-2020, 03:06 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Shoot - thatís what I worried about. Time to find a glass cutter.

There's also the double paned greenhouse plastic that as it's internally braced it shouldn't flex.

Like this stuff. https://www.eplastics.com/TWINWALCLR...QaAtW5EALw_wcB

deeda and fftfk like this.

post #34 of 313 (permalink) Old 02-19-2020, 07:25 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Thank you for reminding me! I added a drain line to my tank!

No problem, it's a must have for easy water changes IMO.

I'm confused how having the drain in your sump is going to drain the tank though. Once the water level drops below the inlet of the overflow box, no more will drain. I would hope not anyway, because if it does and you ever have a power outage or pump failure, your tank will drain unwillingly.

Looking good! Nice progress.
fftfk likes this.
post #35 of 313 (permalink) Old 02-19-2020, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbvamos View Post
No problem, it's a must have for easy water changes IMO.

I'm confused how having the drain in your sump is going to drain the tank though. Once the water level drops below the inlet of the overflow box, no more will drain. I would hope not anyway, because if it does and you ever have a power outage or pump failure, your tank will drain unwillingly.

Looking good! Nice progress.

I will just change the water in the sump. I can do it more than once if need be.

post #36 of 313 (permalink) Old 02-19-2020, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chayos00 View Post
There's also the double paned greenhouse plastic that as it's internally braced it shouldn't flex.

Like this stuff. https://www.eplastics.com/TWINWALCLR...QaAtW5EALw_wcB

I thought about using that but was worried it would be too flimsy. The version Iíve seen at Home Depot is extremely flimsy but not sure if that is different stuff.

I also have the glass top for the tank I could modify. I was hoping to stay away from glass to avoid possible breakage.

chayos00 likes this.
post #37 of 313 (permalink) Old 02-23-2020, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Slight set back...I had the in wall piping done by the contractor when building the house. The people who painted the house used air sprayers and just sprayed the PVC pipes coming out of the wall. I tried to cement the pipe together but after more research decided the painted pvc was too weak of a connection so am going to redo the pipe work.

Due to how closely the PVC is cut up the wall I had to special order pipe extender fittings online as neither HD, Loweís, Menards, nor the local plumbing supply store had them in stock.

No water test this weekend.

Greggz and chayos00 like this.
post #38 of 313 (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 12:55 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

If you don't mind me asking, can you explain why you would run the return line all the way across the tank like that? Frankly kills what otherwise is a very nice aesthetic in my humble opinion. I feel like a tank like this would be a perfect candidate for a return right with the rest of the BA drain and a Maxspect Gyre pump just underneath the return pushing water along the length of the tank.
fpn likes this.

post #39 of 313 (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnseenHand View Post
If you don't mind me asking, can you explain why you would run the return line all the way across the tank like that? Frankly kills what otherwise is a very nice aesthetic in my humble opinion. I feel like a tank like this would be a perfect candidate for a return right with the rest of the BA drain and a Maxspect Gyre pump just underneath the return pushing water along the length of the tank.

The tank currently is just the support stand and tank. Cabinets are being made that will skin the support stand and provide a canopy that will hide all of the pipes. The only thing you should be able to see is the the black return nozzle when you bend down and look straight on.

I figured this would work better to get clean water all the way to the end of the tank. I bought a maxspect Gyre for use just as you said but their largest size can only handle 1/2 thick glass/acrylic. Mine is 3/4 thick.

I am planning on going with the large eco tech vortech but am open to suggestions as to other pumps.

post #40 of 313 (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 08:08 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
The tank currently is just the support stand and tank. Cabinets are being made that will skin the support stand and provide a canopy that will hide all of the pipes. The only thing you should be able to see is the the black return nozzle when you bend down and look straight on.

I figured this would work better to get clean water all the way to the end of the tank. I bought a maxspect Gyre for use just as you said but their largest size can only handle 1/2 thick glass/acrylic. Mine is 3/4 thick.

I am planning on going with the large eco tech vortech but am open to suggestions as to other pumps.

Jebao DCP series pumps are amazing. They are DC, powerful and completely silent. To top it off they are cheap as hell. They have a size to fit whatever need you could possibly have. Fully controllable with the speed control, no need to be adjusting gate valves to get the flow you want. Mine have been running for 2 years without a hiccup.
Greggz likes this.
post #41 of 313 (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 11:29 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Bummer about the Gyre. Seems perfect for this setup.

I will always recommend MPs as my choice for a pump. I know someone who worked at Ecotech and have been to their facility. I love all of their products. An MP60 or likely even 40 would be plenty adequate for this system in my opinion. As a reef convert myself, the amount of flow in a planted tank just isn't as critical as it is in a reef tank. We are so geared towards getting high flow over every square inch. It's just not necessary in a planted tank. In fact, it's likely detrimental. The key is a nice, very gentle flow across the tank to distribute the injected CO2 and added nutrients.

I would recommend adding a slip to thread couple at the end of the return line and adding a wide flaring LocLine nozzle. It will help distribute the flow from the return making it wider and gentler. I don't recall reading what your plan was for the return.
Blue Ridge Reef and fftfk like this.

post #42 of 313 (permalink) Old 02-29-2020, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I spent all last night fixing the plumbing so should be ready for a water test tomorrow. I had to get my mind off of plumbing...and get away from the fumes...so decided to start looking at stocking the tank. I like schooling fish and colorful fish. It seems like everyone either goes discus or angels for color. I am not crazy about discus and am worried about angels eating any smaller fish. Based off of plants and fish selection it looks like I would keep my tank at 77 degrees or lower. Here is my potential stocking list. Please let me know your thoughts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stocking List 1.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	270.3 KB
ID:	894097  

chayos00 likes this.
post #43 of 313 (permalink) Old 02-29-2020, 03:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
I spent all last night fixing the plumbing so should be ready for a water test tomorrow. I had to get my mind off of plumbing...and get away from the fumes...so decided to start looking at stocking the tank. I like schooling fish and colorful fish. It seems like everyone either goes discus or angels for color. I am not crazy about discus and am worried about angels eating any smaller fish. Based off of plants and fish selection it looks like I would keep my tank at 77 degrees or lower. Here is my potential stocking list. Please let me know your thoughts.
I can tell you that I'm in the 150ish range of tetras in my 125g, you are gonna find you'll want MUCH more than what ya have listed! Pretty sure I have 50 embers in mine and they are more like 0.75" in size. Throw in a good 50-75 Cardinals for a contrasting color.

fftfk likes this.

post #44 of 313 (permalink) Old 03-01-2020, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Redid all the plumbing in the basement this weekend:

We have water!

Iím holding off on turning on the pumps until tomorrow...just finished the last of the plumbing and want to give the connections 24 hours to fully cure.

post #45 of 313 (permalink) Old 03-02-2020, 05:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

Where'd you get those pipe holders? I've got a long run in my garage and those could probably use some support.

Always a great feeling having water!! Means things are getting uber close!!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode