300 Gallon Planted Tank - Page 20 - The Planted Tank Forum
 624Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #286 of 317 (permalink) Old 07-27-2020, 03:33 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fftfk View Post
I believe the Latin name is M. Assholis. Heís a huge jerk and has basically claimed the area over the grass as his own.
I had a 75 gallon heavily planted community tank and one of a small group of White Clouds was from that same "M. Assholis" sub-species. He took over 2\3 of the tank and had the rest of the fish cowering behind plants in the other 1/3. It made me crazy...

I finally managed to trap him by using two nets with some food in one. It took a while but nothing is worse that an agitated tank. I wanted to give him a burial at sea with a one flush salute but the better half of me prevailed and a compassionate LFS owner plopped him back in a tank for some other poor soul to endure.

I suggest relocation but will be in awe if you are able to accomplish that in your beautiful epic sized tank. Please blog that effort if you undertake it!

Best,
Paul
fftfk likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #287 of 317 (permalink) Old 07-27-2020, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mourip View Post
I had a 75 gallon heavily planted community tank and one of a small group of White Clouds was from that same "M. Assholis" sub-species. He took over 2\3 of the tank and had the rest of the fish cowering behind plants in the other 1/3. It made me crazy...

I finally managed to trap him by using two nets with some food in one. It took a while but nothing is worse that an agitated tank. I wanted to give him a burial at sea with a one flush salute but the better half of me prevailed and a compassionate LFS owner plopped him back in a tank for some other poor soul to endure.

I suggest relocation but will be in awe if you are able to accomplish that in your beautiful epic sized tank. Please blog that effort if you undertake it!

Best,
Paul

I know the pain of catching something I. A tank. I spent 3 months catching a mantis shrimp in my last saltwater tank!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #288 of 317 (permalink) Old 08-04-2020, 04:40 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fftfk View Post
@Crazygar got the video to work 3 posts up. Iím very happy with how the grass came in. I think itís a combination of the substrate used and trimming it. It really does seem to spread vertically after each trim.

Very nice! Would love a full on shot of the tank...i would watch this for days lol.
derecs likes this.

post #289 of 317 (permalink) Old 09-09-2020, 03:48 AM
Algae Grower

Spectacular tank and layout!! It has great flow. I am one of the few that thinks that too much rotala is never enough
fftfk likes this.
post #290 of 317 (permalink) Old 09-09-2020, 12:43 PM
Planted Member

Updated whole tank photo please. Don't make us beg :-)
fftfk likes this.
post #291 of 317 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 06:11 AM
Algae Grower

Wow just read through this whole thing and I have dreamed of doing something on this grand of a scale. Will be a couple years before I can pull something like this off so for now I shall live vicariously through your tank.

Seriously stunning work you are doing here man.
fftfk likes this.
post #292 of 317 (permalink) Old 09-18-2020, 07:22 PM
Planted Member

Pretty amazing tank! The cabinetry is especially nice. Would love to see some updated pictures.
fftfk likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 gallon planted in progress Radion XR15FW x 2 w/Reeflink Oase Biomaster 600
post #293 of 317 (permalink) Old 09-20-2020, 01:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

My apologies for not posting more...I hurt my back severely in early August and am only now getting back to moving around normally. As you can imagine the tank has not seen itís normal maintenance and became incredibly overgrown. The stem plants were to the water line and then some. They were blocking a lot of the water flow so I had Cyanobacteria outbreak on the grass. I have a fair bit of algae growing in the tank as well.

Today was my first big cleaning in a month. Iím going to do more tomorrow. The hair grass really needs some TLC.

Keep in mind...these are the after pictures. Hereís all of that I cut out:

I really have to start giving this away to people! There were some nice trimmings.

I lost all of the bosemani and one of the mystery hybrid rainbow fish. Iím pretty sure the hybrid bullied them to death as they were constantly hiding. Iím going to catch and give away/return both hybrids. Let me know if youíre in the Chicago area and interested.

Crazygar, ipkiss and jjShibbycray like this.
post #294 of 317 (permalink) Old 09-20-2020, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

These two are the ones Iím giving away -

Ben Belton and jjShibbycray like this.
post #295 of 317 (permalink) Old 09-20-2020, 03:08 AM
Planted Member

How are the Rummy Nose doing?

Do you have any shrimp or snails to work the algae?
post #296 of 317 (permalink) Old 09-20-2020, 10:02 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
I'm sorry about your back and your casualties.

Your hairgrass field amazes me every time I see a picture of it. It's stunning: simple but well-done. I have too much collectoritis to have something that vast and beautiful!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #297 of 317 (permalink) Old 09-20-2020, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:

The rummy nose are doing fine. I would say I still have about 1/3. I bought them through Petaquaria so the losses are to be expected but definitely need to get a QT tank going! Financially, Iím still better off than having bought them at the local store which wanted $7 per.

post #298 of 317 (permalink) Old 09-20-2020, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zivvel View Post
I'm sorry about your back and your casualties.

Your hairgrass field amazes me every time I see a picture of it. It's stunning: simple but well-done. I have too much collectoritis to have something that vast and beautiful!

Thank you. I got the grass trimmed and cleaned up today. Iím going to siphon/turkey Bastet blast it a few times this week to get all of the detritus out of there.

post #299 of 317 (permalink) Old 09-20-2020, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:

Forgot your second question...I do have some shrimp but no idea how many. When trimming the grass today I was surprised at how many times guys were in there! Someone had babies.

post #300 of 317 (permalink) Old 09-21-2020, 12:49 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
What is petaquaria? 🙂 would be good to know

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode