300 Gallon Planted Tank - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 619Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 313 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 09:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyjayb View Post
I was thinking the same. OP, maybe build a larger reactor?
not necessarily, and im actually hoping to find out through this build, the capacity of a well tuned cerges. To start, i suspect he can introduce some back pressure to help with dissolution, but that brings along its own plumbing issues, etc.

edit: actually, i just realized that the water has to go up a floor! thats plenty of built in pressurization! very very interesting. but the cerges has a very limited sized opening. is it on a bypass line?
Greggz, chayos00 and jbvamos like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 313 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 10:05 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipkiss View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyjayb View Post
I was thinking the same. OP, maybe build a larger reactor?
not necessarily, and im actually hoping to find out through this build, the capacity of a well tuned cerges. <a href="https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/images/smilie/icon_wink.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Wink" >:-)</a> To start, i suspect he can introduce some back pressure to help with dissolution, but that brings along its own plumbing issues, etc.

edit: actually, i just realized that the water has to go up a floor! thats plenty of built in pressurization! very very interesting. but the cerges has a very limited sized opening. is it on a bypass line?
I hadn't even thought about that... Your right he probably can do something with that.. this tank just gets more interesting
chayos00 and jbvamos like this.

At least I can grow Algae
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 313 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 10:10 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I'm following.

This cerges thing is fascinating for me. Dosing CO2 and fertilizer to "prevent" algae growth is new to me so I'm always fascinated to see different methods for doing both.
chayos00 and fftfk like this.

Andrew - come visit my Youtube channel at Zokomo TV

post #19 of 313 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 10:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fftfk View Post
I was able to get some work on it done today. The CO2 reactor:

The sump table and return plumbing:

And a quick water test of the overflow box and plumbing in the wall:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just finding this build now, and subscribed. Looks to be a fun journey ahead.

Curious to see how the cerges does. I run the same size on my 75 gallon and it works great. I wonder if you will need to go to the 20" vs. 10" housing?

Great start!
Greggz, chayos00, fftfk and 2 others like this.

|

post #20 of 313 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I definitely got off to a slow start due to stress/costs associated with moving into a new house! Ordering window treatments put me back two months of the build alone!!

However, Iím working as fast as I can on it now. I hoped to have more of the sump room done this weekend but between the fumes in the non- ventilated room and a few walls of the sump being the wrong size has put me on pause for today.

As for the size of the cerges reactor. Iím not sure. This is my first planted tank. I donít think a longer one would help any as you really need more surface area for gas exchange. Maybe a larger diameter one? I bought a nano pump and a set of waterproof cable glands to put a pump in the reactor to increase surface agitation if needed.

The cerges is going to be a closed loop into
And out of the sump. I will have a pump pumping water from the sump into the reactor the return will be plumbed to return right into the mail return pump chamber.

The sump will be sealed as much as possible.

chayos00, jbvamos and vikinglord13 like this.
post #21 of 313 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 12:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grobbins48 View Post
Curious to see how the cerges does. I run the same size on my 75 gallon and it works great. I wonder if you will need to go to the 20" vs. 10" housing?
Yeah I have been wondering the same thing. I run a 20" housing on my 120G and all CO2 fully dissolved.

That being said I have no idea how this will work with this tank, but look forward to finding out.
chayos00, fftfk, jbvamos and 1 others like this.

---
---
post #22 of 313 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 12:11 AM
Algae Grower

Really nice start!
fftfk and jbvamos like this.
post #23 of 313 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 05:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

Activity always gets me excited on new setups!

If you need to go with a larger reactor one day, hit me up, I did a DIY PVC Griggs reactor, which I believe I did 4" PVC, that's 4' tall. I've put a TON of CO2 through it out of curiosity and never saw any bubbles escape, granted I suddenly gassed my fish, so the test wasn't very long LOL

Here's a link to my thread of what I made. IMO if I were to redo it, I'd go 1" vs 3/4" tubing for getting a higher flow rate, as I later put a UV filter inline to it which cut back my flow.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...l#post10890249
fftfk and jbvamos like this.

300g 8' acrylic aquarium acquired, in process to build/setup/plan setup

Last edited by chayos00; 02-11-2020 at 11:39 AM.
post #24 of 313 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 01:30 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fftfk View Post

I bought enough to plumb it so that either the spray bar can spray out at the top of the tank or plumb it to the bottom so that it shoots out across the bottom of the tank. I thought this might be better to not off-gas CO2.

Anyone have any thoughts/opinions on plumbing it at the top of the water line vs at the bottom of the tank? I would have to drill one hole at the water line no matter what as a siphon break.
Yet another former reef aquarist switching to freshwater. As one myself, I'll predict you'll find it just as rewarding and instant gratification compared to a reef. Welcome.

Regarding your flow I wouldn't put a spray bar at the bottom, it's not going to help with off gassing; that's going to happen anyway with the overflow and fall to your sump. Plus the flow on the bottom will be blocked by decorations and plants eventually. My recommendation is to create a circular flow versus top to bottom. I would put a wide output pipe on two diagonal corners to create that flow. This also makes sense because you have a peninsula tank and I assume your plants and decor will be somewhat centered for viewing on both sides.

Regarding your preferred lights, since your tank looks like it's in your living room or den, are you sure you want to deal with all the spill-over light that comes with three round pendants? Rectangular pendants or two low profile T5 or LED fixtures would help minimize that.

And congratulations on talking your wife into letting you drill through the floor. Well done ; )
chayos00, fftfk and vikinglord13 like this.
post #25 of 313 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 08:26 AM
Planted Member

Awesome build!

Maybe I missed it, but you might want to consider plumbing for water changes. I setup a 180 a couple years. Here's the link to the build. I need to update my journal desperately because the scape looks nothing like it was in the beginning.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...-whistles.html

I drilled the tank down as low as I could and plumbed to the waste drain of the house with a ball valve to to drain the tank. There's also a water supply going to the sumps that I use to refill the tank. Turn a valve, the tank drains, turn another valve and turn the pumps back on and the tank fills up. I have a quick disconnect tap teed into that same drain with another ball valve for a gravel vacuum for the occasional vacuuming. I also have a float valve in the sumps with a water supply for evaporation.

Just a few things to think about to make maintenance easier.

The reactor i built is in the link of the build also. Mine is a closed loop system also like you're designing. It works great.

Looks like you know what you're doing, but feel free to ask questions.

Awesome job!
Greggz, chayos00, fftfk and 1 others like this.
post #26 of 313 (permalink) Old 02-18-2020, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbvamos View Post
Awesome build!

Maybe I missed it, but you might want to consider plumbing for water changes. I setup a 180 a couple years. Here's the link to the build. I need to update my journal desperately because the scape looks nothing like it was in the beginning.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...-whistles.html

I drilled the tank down as low as I could and plumbed to the waste drain of the house with a ball valve to to drain the tank. There's also a water supply going to the sumps that I use to refill the tank. Turn a valve, the tank drains, turn another valve and turn the pumps back on and the tank fills up. I have a quick disconnect tap teed into that same drain with another ball valve for a gravel vacuum for the occasional vacuuming. I also have a float valve in the sumps with a water supply for evaporation.

Just a few things to think about to make maintenance easier.

The reactor i built is in the link of the build also. Mine is a closed loop system also like you're designing. It works great.

Looks like you know what you're doing, but feel free to ask questions.

Awesome job!

Thank you for reminding me! I added a drain line to my tank!

chayos00, Grobbins48 and jbvamos like this.
post #27 of 313 (permalink) Old 02-18-2020, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I made a good amount of progress this Presidentís day weekend. I added a drain line (pictures above), finished the sump, and made progress on the plumbing. Iím hoping for a water test next weekend.

My sump is going to be a fluidized bed using K1. I used an idea from the king of DIY and drilled a bunch of holes in the entrance panel and exit panel to hopefully push water up through the moving bed. I used a kit by Exotic Marine Systems comprised of acrylic panels and modified to fit my needs. I know using acrylic and glass isnít the greatest idea but Iím hoping I used enough silicon and support panels to make it work.

Greggz, rzn7z7, Grobbins48 and 1 others like this.
post #28 of 313 (permalink) Old 02-18-2020, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Did someone say k1????

Grobbins48 and IKeepShrimp like this.
post #29 of 313 (permalink) Old 02-19-2020, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Started on the cover for the sump...hopefully it doesnít warp too bad.

chayos00 and carlsj2012 like this.
post #30 of 313 (permalink) Old 02-19-2020, 02:33 AM
Wannabe Guru

Edit

Style: Organic potting soil, gravel, sand, wood, plants, algae, biofilm, snails, shrimp, fish, dual siestas
Tech : Small tanks, Fluval Plant 3.0, Top Fin MF10, Eheim Classic 150, Neptune Systems Apex EL
Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|

Last edited by Streetwise; 02-19-2020 at 03:10 AM. Reason: Edit

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode