300 Gallon Planted Tank - Page 19 - The Planted Tank Forum
 624Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #271 of 317 (permalink) Old 07-06-2020, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryubui View Post
man that grass grew in nice, cant wait to see it with the tetras...live video when they're in?
@Crazygar got the video to work 3 posts up. Iím very happy with how the grass came in. I think itís a combination of the substrate used and trimming it. It really does seem to spread vertically after each trim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 317 (permalink) Old 07-21-2020, 01:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Made some additions this weekend:

post #273 of 317 (permalink) Old 07-21-2020, 02:56 AM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Gotta love a nice selection of rainbow fish!
fftfk and Grobbins48 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters

post #274 of 317 (permalink) Old 07-21-2020, 11:51 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Is that M.praecox I see? If it is, wow, they look spectacular in your tank! Nice job!

Gary
fftfk likes this.

post #275 of 317 (permalink) Old 07-21-2020, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazygar View Post
Is that M.praecox I see? If it is, wow, they look spectacular in your tank! Nice job!

Gary

It is! There are 6 in the tank.

Crazygar likes this.
post #276 of 317 (permalink) Old 07-21-2020, 01:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fftfk View Post
What is the Bow in this pic? I don't recognize it.

And BTW tank is looking great!!
fftfk and andieg3 like this.

---
---
post #277 of 317 (permalink) Old 07-21-2020, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
What is the Bow in this pic? I don't recognize it.

And BTW tank is looking great!!

I believe the Latin name is M. Assholis. Heís a huge jerk and has basically claimed the area over the grass as his own. Here are all of the other rainbow hiding from him at one of the tank:

And here he is lording over the grass:

I might actually have to capture him in an acclimation box/give him away if this keeps up like this.

Thanks for the comment on the tank. Here are a few full tank shots:

Crazygar, ipkiss, zivvel and 6 others like this.
post #278 of 317 (permalink) Old 07-21-2020, 11:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
I believe the Latin name is M. Assholis. Heís a huge jerk ...
Are you kidding. LOL

P.S. Tank looks good!
ipkiss, fftfk and andieg3 like this.

2 Foot Rimless Tank - Under Construction

post #279 of 317 (permalink) Old 07-21-2020, 11:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I believe the Latin name is M. Assholis. He’s a huge jerk and has basically claimed the area over the grass as his own. Here are all of the other rainbow hiding from him at one of the tank:
I've see most species available in the hobby, and I don't recognize that one. My guess is he is a hybrid. And that would explain the behavior. Hybrid's are well known to be very aggressive compared to other Bows.
Crazygar, zivvel, fftfk and 1 others like this.

---
---
post #280 of 317 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
I've see most species available in the hobby, and I don't recognize that one. My guess is he is a hybrid. And that would explain the behavior. Hybrid's are well known to be very aggressive compared to other Bows.

Iím thinking he might be this type: https://aquaticarts.com/products/goy...ed-rainbowfish

I will call the store today and see what they say. I should have gotten it while there.

post #281 of 317 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 02:24 PM
Algae Grower

Wow, that hairgrass! Mine has definitely not carpeted like that. Planted May 12th. It's struggling with some algae right now, which tells me it's not happily growing.
fftfk likes this.
post #282 of 317 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 02:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Iím thinking he might be this type: https://aquaticarts.com/products/goy...ed-rainbowfish

I will call the store today and see what they say. I should have gotten it while there.

Definitely not Goyder River.

There are a few known hybrids out there, sometimes people even make up names for them. Crossing Rainbow is sold in the hobby by some fish farms, but is a hybrid.

Yours is likely this one. Maybe a mix of "Crossing" Rainbow and something else? Who knows. But if you aren't breeding makes little difference.

fftfk and Grobbins48 like this.

---
---
post #283 of 317 (permalink) Old 07-24-2020, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derecs View Post
Wow, that hairgrass! Mine has definitely not carpeted like that. Planted May 12th. It's struggling with some algae right now, which tells me it's not happily growing.

Mine really started taking off and filling in when I started trimming the length. I had some issues with algae as well. It finally seems like Iím getting ahead of it. One thing that helped me with Algae in
The grass in particular is manual removal. I would use a fork and comb the grass plus twirl it up like it was spaghetti. It was a nice meditative activity.

Greggz likes this.
post #284 of 317 (permalink) Old 07-24-2020, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Definitely not Goyder River.

There are a few known hybrids out there, sometimes people even make up names for them. Crossing Rainbow is sold in the hobby by some fish farms, but is a hybrid.

Yours is likely this one. Maybe a mix of "Crossing" Rainbow and something else? Who knows. But if you aren't breeding makes little difference.

I think you might be right on it being a hybrid. That picture is very close to
It.

Question - he is still being a jerk and has claimed about half of the tank as his own. What is the best manner to deal with this? I had two ideas: one - add more of the hybrid variety to lessen/spread out its dominance. Two - remove him from the tank which would also mean catching two more hybrid fish. I could return/exchange him or give him away to another hobbyist.

Greggz likes this.
post #285 of 317 (permalink) Old 07-24-2020, 05:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I think you might be right on it being a hybrid. That picture is very close to
It.

Question - he is still being a jerk and has claimed about half of the tank as his own. What is the best manner to deal with this? I had two ideas: one - add more of the hybrid variety to lessen/spread out its dominance. Two - remove him from the tank which would also mean catching two more hybrid fish. I could return/exchange him or give him away to another hobbyist.
Those hybrids are known to be much more aggressive than pure bred Rainbows, and IMO adding more is unlikely to change that.

Personally I would remove the hybrids, but I am active in the Rainbow fish community and hybrids in general are frowned upon. Breeders go to great lengths to keep species pure and hate to see someone selling these.

A group of top Rainbow breeders have been working with some of the well known fish farms to provide them good stock to breed with. So over the last five years or so there more species available on a wider scale. As a result, there are very few hybrids being sold by LFS anymore. Did you ever contact the seller to find out what they know about them or where they go them from.
fftfk and andieg3 like this.

---
---

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode