The Breeding Project: Dark Rams ( Update: + New EBR/GBR Pairs) - Page 23 - The Planted Tank Forum
 598Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #331 of 344 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Dark rams have fry just starting to go free-swimming on the other side of the 10. They are only just starting to go free swimming and I'm not yet seeing all the fry or its a small batch.
I had no idea they had spawned because they didn't lay on the usual spots: the clay saucer. Must have laid eggs on the tall java fern or the large rock I had put in tank with the java fern so the EBR/GBR and dark pair didnt see one another.

Its funny because I got reamed by the guy that runs one of the forums on German Rams on Facebook for my "terrible" set-up. That the two pairs would be soooo stressed that they wouldn't spawn and if they did-- just wait. It will be chaos fighting between the partition and the parents eating the fry. He acted as if I was a very irresponsible breeder.

Well, maybe I am. But, so far it is working swimmingly.
After a week or so Ill take the parents out and raise the fry myself all together. Thats the plan.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 344 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 11:40 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fishroom would still be good. Just saying.

All kidding aside, if you wish to seriously consider keeping breeding these Rams, even a small one might be what you need. 10 Gallon Tanks on a rack... the setup is easier than one would think.

Find a corner or small area of the residence where you can do this. Sounds like you have hit a jackpot here.

Gary
Discusluv likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #333 of 344 (permalink) Old 07-01-2020, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazygar View Post
Fishroom would still be good. Just saying.

All kidding aside, if you wish to seriously consider keeping breeding these Rams, even a small one might be what you need. 10 Gallon Tanks on a rack... the setup is easier than one would think.

Find a corner or small area of the residence where you can do this. Sounds like you have hit a jackpot here.

Gary
Thanks so much, Gary.

Now that my husband is seeing what I can make a month in fish and shrimp sales maybe I can talk him into that rack.

Do you have a suggestion on the type of rack that it could be? I am so non-technical when it comes to these things.

I imagine it would be a metal type rack or heavy duty plastic from someplace like Home depot?
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

Amy

post #334 of 344 (permalink) Old 07-01-2020, 02:37 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
I made mine out of 2x4s and probably still have a blue print somewhere if you'd want to see. At very least I can take some photos. Those industrial Home Depot racks would certainly work if you could size them to the tanks you'd want. Might want to consider placing them sideways for space, unlike what I did.
Discusluv likes this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #335 of 344 (permalink) Old 07-01-2020, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
I made mine out of 2x4s and probably still have a blue print somewhere if you'd want to see. At very least I can take some photos. Those industrial Home Depot racks would certainly work if you could size them to the tanks you'd want. Might want to consider placing them sideways for space, unlike what I did.
I cant build one, would need to buy. But, first, to convince the husband to make it possible.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

Amy
post #336 of 344 (permalink) Old 07-02-2020, 10:50 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Finding "the right spot" will also be key. Somewhere quiet and away from main traffic. The Home Depot ones will support some weight. There are many designs, usually I go online and look, look and look to see what others have done.

Once again, you just need a small corner or space, this is not going to be an industrial project.

Gary

post #337 of 344 (permalink) Old 07-03-2020, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

The dark fry from both dark female and male parents are 3.5 months now. they are really getting nice. there is at least 1 that is a pitch black that I will keep for my breeding group. There are a few others that have beautiful blue markings on their face.
Mom and dad are in here with the fry along with 5 of the GBR/EBR hybrids. The one male GBR/EBR is with the new group of 7 day old fry.

https://vimeo.com/435189323?activity...7200b30a1c0e13

Amy
post #338 of 344 (permalink) Old 07-03-2020, 10:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
The dark fry from both dark female and male parents are 3.5 months now. they are really getting nice. there is at least 1 that is a pitch black that I will keep for my breeding group. There are a few others that have beautiful blue markings on their face.
Mom and dad are in here with the fry along with 5 of the GBR/EBR hybrids. The one male GBR/EBR is with the new group of 7 day old fry.

https://vimeo.com/435189323?activity...7200b30a1c0e13
Fry lookin good!

For a fish room I feel like maybe this kind of shelving would be a nice idea, can adjust the exact placement/height per shelf. They are easy to assemble and quite robust. I think youd just need to cut wooden plates for each 10 gallon tank or so to lay on (could probably order them cut to size online or in-store if you dont have the tools for it easily). I think a nice rack system for a proper breeding project would be ideal, many options i guess to pull off the build though.

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-...3816535&sr=8-3
Blue Ridge Reef and Discusluv like this.

my 20 gallon journal:

my 8 gallon journal:

my 35 gallon journal:
post #339 of 344 (permalink) Old 07-04-2020, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewss View Post
Fry lookin good!

For a fish room I feel like maybe this kind of shelving would be a nice idea, can adjust the exact placement/height per shelf. They are easy to assemble and quite robust. I think youd just need to cut wooden plates for each 10 gallon tank or so to lay on (could probably order them cut to size online or in-store if you dont have the tools for it easily). I think a nice rack system for a proper breeding project would be ideal, many options i guess to pull off the build though.

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-...3816535&sr=8-3
I could manage to put that together, thank you!
I saved it in my Amazon bag.

Amy
post #340 of 344 (permalink) Old 07-04-2020, 06:06 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Something that tall you'd definitely want to have earthquake straps or something to fasten it to the wall.
What do others in earthquake country do?
Discusluv likes this.
post #341 of 344 (permalink) Old 07-04-2020, 09:11 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
I could manage to put that together, thank you!
I saved it in my Amazon bag.
This one shows you a picture of flexibility the system works, you can connect units to the side instead of always going up, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/Shelving-Adju...853615&sr=8-33

Tons of sellers and products, mostly the same system though. I have a narrow unit of the same type in my bathroom with two big canisters on one shelf (20L per canister) to hold me RO water and after a few months I haven't noticed issues with it! I would say these shelves are pretty sturdy but if you have big weight (ie 10G tanks) up high you need ballast low to keep it stable and likely you would want to strap/fix/secure them somehow to the wall or something, depends I guess how you have the weight distributed or how vertical you go.

Here is my setup (yes my hobby has spilled out in the bathroom haha, I have my RO setup there and keep my WC mixing stuff and gear there... live in an apartment so gotta do it.

^ It's nice cuz the canisters taps fit just over the edge so I can fill my mixing buckets up easily underneath then that square white container is where I do my 75/25 RO-Tap mixes for my GBR tank, big opening for the container so my big WC pump easily fits
Discusluv likes this.

my 20 gallon journal:

my 8 gallon journal:

my 35 gallon journal:
post #342 of 344 (permalink) Old 07-04-2020, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewss View Post
This one shows you a picture of flexibility the system works, you can connect units to the side instead of always going up, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/Shelving-Adju...853615&sr=8-33

Tons of sellers and products, mostly the same system though. I have a narrow unit of the same type in my bathroom with two big canisters on one shelf (20L per canister) to hold me RO water and after a few months I haven't noticed issues with it! I would say these shelves are pretty sturdy but if you have big weight (ie 10G tanks) up high you need ballast low to keep it stable and likely you would want to strap/fix/secure them somehow to the wall or something, depends I guess how you have the weight distributed or how vertical you go.

Here is my setup (yes my hobby has spilled out in the bathroom haha, I have my RO setup there and keep my WC mixing stuff and gear there... live in an apartment so gotta do it.

^ It's nice cuz the canisters taps fit just over the edge so I can fill my mixing buckets up easily underneath then that square white container is where I do my 75/25 RO-Tap mixes for my GBR tank, big opening for the container so my big WC pump easily fits
Thats an excellent set-up. The rack works perfectly for your water.

Amy
post #343 of 344 (permalink) Old 07-04-2020, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

All the 5.5 month Rams are gone. Its weird too. I have been shuffling these fish back and forth to make room for this and that... and the last 8 got bagged up today.
I was like-- wait a minute--- what now?
So, I transferred the 35- 3.5 month old darks to the 60 with the discus and left a dark pair in the 30 gallon. These 2 are a actually the parents of the 3.5 month old fry so they should lay within a few days. Ill start feeding them heavily with BBS and I lowered the TDS with some RO after a water change ( with slightly cooler water). This works like clock-work-usually.

Im leaving for vacation for 6 days in 2 weeks. I have someone from a pet care service coming to feed and water the cats and fish while gone 2 x daily. Hopefully these fry will be okay with only 2 daily feedings. Not only that, but I usually do a 50% water change at least every other day in the fry tanks- hopefully the tank will hold out without these water changes. I do not want the pet sitter dealing with water changes in a fry tank. These guys are so small I would be afraid they would suck them out with the python.

Amy
post #344 of 344 (permalink) Old 07-05-2020, 09:51 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
All the 5.5 month Rams are gone. Its weird too. I have been shuffling these fish back and forth to make room for this and that... and the last 8 got bagged up today.
I was like-- wait a minute--- what now?
So, I transferred the 35- 3.5 month old darks to the 60 with the discus and left a dark pair in the 30 gallon. These 2 are a actually the parents of the 3.5 month old fry so they should lay within a few days. Ill start feeding them heavily with BBS and I lowered the TDS with some RO after a water change ( with slightly cooler water). This works like clock-work-usually.

Im leaving for vacation for 6 days in 2 weeks. I have someone from a pet care service coming to feed and water the cats and fish while gone 2 x daily. Hopefully these fry will be okay with only 2 daily feedings. Not only that, but I usually do a 50% water change at least every other day in the fry tanks- hopefully the tank will hold out without these water changes. I do not want the pet sitter dealing with water changes in a fry tank. These guys are so small I would be afraid they would suck them out with the python.
Here's to hoping the 6 days away are fine to the fry, I bet if you do a change on the day you leave it should be OK - if you fool proofed your WC tech maybe one of the caretakers could handle it, maybe with an automated system or really fool proofed technique. Anyway good luck!
Blue Ridge Reef and Discusluv like this.

my 20 gallon journal:

my 8 gallon journal:

my 35 gallon journal:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode