The Breeding Project: Dark Rams ( Update: + New EBR/GBR Pairs) - Page 22 - The Planted Tank Forum
 598Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #316 of 344 (permalink) Old 06-21-2020, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Another pair of EBR/GBR spawned in the 30 gallon. I wish I had another small tank set up. Actually- about 4 more 5 gallons would be perfect. 1 for the EBR/GBR's to spawn, 2 for the darks, and 1 for testing a cross between the EBR/GBR's and the darks ( which must be what a Dark Knight consists of). There are several people doing a long tailed version of the various colors of the rams, but I dont care for them. No longer look like rams to me. The other one Im not interested in breeding is the EBR-- it looks artificially dyed/hormoned.

Anyways back to the spawn in the 30 gallon--- just as a lark I placed the eggs with the EBR/GBR male already tending to a spawn in the 10 gallon.
Thought "what the heck", there is no way this spawn is going to make it in the 30 gallon with all the dark fry and the other 2 ram in there. There is a chance this male may think these are his eggs as well.

So far he is moving back and forth between these two spawns, a bit bewildered how those eggs got to that other location- lol! The first group looks like they are about a day from wigglers stage ( 3days old), the others are only about 12 hours old ( 4 days off).

Would be kinda cool if it works.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #317 of 344 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 10:25 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
You have a Production Line going there DiscusLuv! Sounds like Cali is about get an influx of Rams...

Gary
monkeyruler90 and Discusluv like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #318 of 344 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 08:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
Have you found there is a high demand for the fry during covid or are you selling it to fish stores?
I know my local club has just had virtual meetings so I have not been able to sell/trade any fish stuff

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

post #319 of 344 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyruler90 View Post
Have you found there is a high demand for the fry during covid or are you selling it to fish stores?
I know my local club has just had virtual meetings so I have not been able to sell/trade any fish stuff
Ive been selling them through word of mouth-- to members of my local aquatic society and friends of. I have also been selling on Aquabid and have had orders from here.

The golds are selling more slowly, which is understandable because people can get them at their local pet store. But, they dont realize how robust and healthy home-bred rams are compared to the drab and sickly Rams you often find at the LFS. I had rams years ago and they always died on me. I thought they were just "weak fish" in general- but, they really arent when kept in softer- neutral and warm water.

The eldest group of dark's ( they were 5 months old) are sold out; but, I only had about 15 of them. The second group of darks I had 35, I now have about 20 left of this group.

Hopefully this spawn of EBR/GBR's is viable, I need to get more babies in the pipeline. Im working on my husband to get at least 2 more 5 gallons. I really need them for my pairs.

What type of fish do you breed/sell?
Desert Pupfish likes this.

Amy
post #320 of 344 (permalink) Old 06-23-2020, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

The male has fully accepted the other spawn and has transferred his own eggs ( which was a smaller spawn) to this group.
Actually, he has placed them all into a large indentation in the rock to contain them. They are in the wiggler stage. Just barely traveling about in this space.
Give it a day-- he will be frantically chasing them down, grabbing them in his mouth and depositing them back into the indentation. LOL.

This is a great find though. Now I know I can give a male multiple spawns-- if Im so lucky to have that happen again-- to tend to.

Amy
post #321 of 344 (permalink) Old 06-23-2020, 06:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Ive been selling them through word of mouth-- to members of my local aquatic society and friends of. I have also been selling on Aquabid and have had orders from here.

The golds are selling more slowly, which is understandable because people can get them at their local pet store. But, they dont realize how robust and healthy home-bred rams are compared to the drab and sickly Rams you often find at the LFS. I had rams years ago and they always died on me. I thought they were just "weak fish" in general- but, they really arent when kept in softer- neutral and warm water.

The eldest group of dark's ( they were 5 months old) are sold out; but, I only had about 15 of them. The second group of darks I had 35, I now have about 20 left of this group.

Hopefully this spawn of EBR/GBR's is viable, I need to get more babies in the pipeline. Im working on my husband to get at least 2 more 5 gallons. I really need them for my pairs.

What type of fish do you breed/sell?

Yeah, I guess using the local club is a good way to keep trading, I'll look into something here in San Diego.
I'm not breeding anything yet but I was thinking about the demand in the hobby and if people are still moving livestock or if the LFS are making more $$. do you get a pretty fair price from selling to offset the expenses and your time or are you still loosing money overall and consider it a fun hobby?
I agree that there is value on local bred fish instead of farm raised. I've had low mortality rate on locally bred tetras compared to when coming from the wild.

Oh great news on the male taking the extra babies! and good luck with the husband letting you have more tanks
Discusluv likes this.

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

post #322 of 344 (permalink) Old 06-25-2020, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

The hubby devised a separator so I could make this 10 gallon hold 2 pairs. Make it into 2 - 5 gallon sections. The EBR/GBR male is still on some eggs. Looks like they will be free swimming by tomorrow night. On the other side, I put in the dark pair.

Please excuse the debris on base glass. All the wrigglers have been placed on bottom glass next to the rock. Itís hard to see where they end and where they begin so when changing water staying away from that area with siphoning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Crazygar and Desert Pupfish like this.

Amy
post #323 of 344 (permalink) Old 06-25-2020, 11:55 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
This is a fun thread and I am learning from your experiences. Keep it up!

Given our new addition to the family, my tanks are being neglected. For the foreseeable future the number of tanks is more likely to contract then to expand. Yes! You have guessed it correctly - I have spare tanks and equipment to lease out

Oh, and the pool is warm.
Discusluv likes this.
post #324 of 344 (permalink) Old 06-25-2020, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
This is a fun thread and I am learning from your experiences. Keep it up!

Given our new addition to the family, my tanks are being neglected. For the foreseeable future the number of tanks is more likely to contract then to expand. Yes! You have guessed it correctly - I have spare tanks and equipment to lease out

Oh, and the pool is warm.
Besides being a place to store information that I can go back and look at, Im hoping this will be helpful to someone just getting started. There are many places on the net to find a quick "how-to" for breeding rams. But, your always left with "But, what about this..."

This thread may answer those little things that come up.

That addition to your family is so beautiful. What a dog!
The equipment and the warm pool both sound enticing.

We will get together soon!
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

Amy
post #325 of 344 (permalink) Old 06-25-2020, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Fry! Not all of them-- some still in tumbler stage"-- tumbling around the bottom of tank, but not yet strong enough to swim. Cant wait until they get off the bottom so I can vacuum!

You can see I put the dark Ram pair on other side at around the 1 minute mark.

Crazygar, Blue Ridge Reef and vvDO like this.

Amy
post #326 of 344 (permalink) Old 06-27-2020, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

We are all free-swimming now---

Day 7:

Amy
post #327 of 344 (permalink) Old 06-28-2020, 05:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
We are all free-swimming now---

Day 7:

Thatís awesome! Looks like a lot of fry! Congrats! Youíre making it look too easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Blue Ridge Reef and Discusluv like this.

Fluval EDGE slightly modded, low tech
3+ gallon (40 x 16 x 20.5 cm) aquatic soil, low-tech
Fluval spec V (sitting in a box)
post #328 of 344 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 01:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

The gold Rams are getting really rambunctious in the 60 gallon because they are now mature-- breeding age. Pairs are forming and digging in the sand and laying eggs! Ive gotten rid of most of them but still have about 15.
The discus are starting to get annoyed---

Amy
post #329 of 344 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 10:45 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Sounds like you need a fishroom (great excuse) to keep your Breeding Pairs from terrorizing the other fish.

Gary
Discusluv likes this.

post #330 of 344 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazygar View Post
Sounds like you need a fishroom (great excuse) to keep your Breeding Pairs from terrorizing the other fish.

Gary
This is true. If I can only convince the husband.

But, problem solved. Sold all the golds last night. They are on to their forever homes.
Crazygar and Blue Ridge Reef like this.

Amy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode