Custom Fish Bowl - The Tank The Forum Gave Me - Page 8 - The Planted Tank Forum
 105Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #106 of 124 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 10:23 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Where the tote is, I dont see any way its NOT getting dirt in it at some point. I thi m you're fine, the surface dirt from most places is pretty inert in nutrients.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 124 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 01:52 AM
Algae Grower

@minorhero belatedly...I posted the eBay link to the unit I bought that's got battery backup.

It's seems kind of intense for a smaller tub like mine so I use the option to "pulse" it.

I threw in some decomposing fall leaves too.

Not to go on about Rachel O'Leary but she's got a funny video about culturing daphnia. Apparently it took her a while to get the hang of it. She shows how she feeds it with Brewers yeast I'm experimenting with that now. Up till now I've been throwing in a little spirulina powder that I pre mix.

In the video, O'Leary says she learned daphnia favor decomposing things kind of gross but she said some ppl throw in a dead animal? I don't know if that belongs on Snopes or not

I thought of your fry today bcs I noticed that I've got a lot of very tiny daphnia. The hybrid betta is a small fish he likes chasing the little daphnia around.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
minorhero likes this.
post #108 of 124 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 01:56 AM
Algae Grower

@SwampGirl didn't you say you just put a piece of vegetable in with the daphnia?

Never thought of that sounds like a good idea

post #109 of 124 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Update:

Almost an hour after my last post the darn daphnia arrived.

Whoops.

I thought I had 2 or 3 days more time. Oh well they were here and here is how they looked:

The culture is supposed to have 500. I suspect it has an amount more then 300 and less then 10,000. Beyond that I can't imagine how you would measure the difference between say, 400 and 600.

Anyway I dumped most of the culture right into my bowl and the rest, about 1/4 I put into my new outdoor culture bin. After temperature acclimating each time.

The ones in the bowl I have observed and seemed to be doing fine, other then the fact that the culture was most definitely not pure. There was what I identified as a scud based on swampgirl's journal and some kind of larva that was busy squirming around hunting the daphnia. The latter I have found 2 of so far and fished out both times.

With the daphnia in place and the shrimp still doing great I decided it was time to move in the fry. It was simply a matter of removing as many plants as I could from the breeder box and then taking the entire thing out of the current tank and essentially dumping it into the fish bowl. All made it safely to their new home. Here are some pictures of the settling in:

I also noticed today that my ramshorn snails are officially of breeding age:

This last is actually kind of fun for me as I have a bit of a desperate need for snails at the moment.

I have a LOT of algae issues in this tank, almost certainly brought on by my extended light cycle. So along with the fry I added 2 more ramshorn snails. Then later today I added an adult Amano shrimp as well. I was thinking of holding off on the amano for a while but I think the algae is severe enough to warrant its immediate release into the bowl.

The fry have only been in the tank a few hours and they are definitely doing pretty good. They have even started to become less skittish now that they can see me coming as it were.
Streetwise, SECollector and rakali like this.
post #110 of 124 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 01:21 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
You have multiple tanks, right?

Edit: Yes, of course you do!

Are you picking one tank to grow these out in, and then feed to other tanks as needed?

Style: Organic soil, sand, gravel, plants, moss, algae, snails, shrimp, small fish
Tech: Fluval Plant 3.0 Nano, Top Fin MF10, Tunze 3161, Neptune Apex EL
Tanks:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
post #111 of 124 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 02:34 AM
Algae Grower

Hey wow that's great!

I'm wondering about your daphnia culture bcs it looks so clear as in hard to see them - lemme dig up a pic of what mine looked like. I can't remember the exact number I ordered but it was loaded with them. Whatever I paid for they gave me 3x the amount (3 bagfuls Lol I had to unload them locally on Aquaswap). This happened twice.

I went through a number of vendors before I got a decent culture that was thriving on arrival. I have nothing to gain from this (other than paying good Intel fwd) but the awesome eBay vendor is escobaraquatic0.

I think they were a little bit more expensive but they sent amazing cultures and are a pleasure to deal with.

I thought scuds were fine for fish, no?

post #112 of 124 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 02:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The daphnia are just in 2 locations at present. In an outside tote and in the bowl. Not many left in the bowl near as I can tell. My master plan was to put the fry in and then they feed on the daphnia over the course of weeks. I severely underestimated how quickly 7 fry could eat a few hundred daphnia. I suspect there will be none left by tomorrow evening.

The outside culture I plan to just not touch for a few months.
post #113 of 124 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature Freak View Post
Hey wow that's great!

I'm wondering about your daphnia culture bcs it looks so clear as in hard to see them - lemme dig up a pic of what mine looked like. I can't remember the exact number I ordered but it was loaded with them. Whatever I paid for they gave me 3x the amount (3 bagfuls Lol I had to unload them locally on Aquaswap). This happened twice.

I went through a number of vendors before I got a decent culture that was thriving on arrival. I have nothing to gain from this (other than paying good Intel fwd) but the awesome eBay vendor is escobaraquatic0.

I think they were a little bit more expensive but they sent amazing cultures and are a pleasure to deal with.

I thought scuds were fine for fish, no?

Your culture definitely looks more densely populated then mine. I also have the smaller type of daphnia, not the magna that most folks sell. I would not use my seller again simply because his culture was not pure daphnia which he must know and should warn people about.

I am not at all worried about the scuds, the larva or whatever I could live without but I think will likely get eaten as well.
post #114 of 124 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 12:37 PM
Algae Grower

Daphnia reproduce so quickly I wouldn't worry much about the numbers. If you have a few that are happy you'll have more than you know what to do with shortly. I culture them inside in dollar store mason jars with a bit of gravel. I feed with some spirulina and barley grass powder and recently I added some nori. That was enough to keep the culture happy. They multiply remarkably quickly. Good luck!

minorhero likes this.

Last edited by rakali; 11-08-2019 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Added video
post #115 of 124 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 08:42 PM
Algae Grower

Ahhhh perhaps you bought monia? I received a bag of those once and couldn't see them.

With the magna, once they're happy they'll be reproducing and you get a lot of tiny ones.

I've never had any luck keeping them indoors never mind in a mayson jar indoors. Now that the temps have dropped the daphnia are jamming.

rakali likes this.
post #116 of 124 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 08:56 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature Freak View Post
Ahhhh perhaps you bought monia? I received a bag of those once and couldn't see them.

With the magna, once they're happy they'll be reproducing and you get a lot of tiny ones.

I've never had any luck keeping them indoors never mind in a mayson jar indoors. Now that the temps have dropped the daphnia are jamming.

Not sure if you were directing that to me but yes mine are moina. For me the magna died off but the moina remained.
post #117 of 124 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 09:53 PM
Algae Grower

Actually that was for @minorhero but I saw your amazing Mason jar video that never worked for me. Culture crashed immediately.

rakali likes this.
post #118 of 124 (permalink) Old 11-29-2019, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Update!

Its been about a month since I filled the bowl so I figured now was a good time for an update.

Since I last updated the bowl has gone through some changes. First and foremost I went away for a week. Since I knew I was going away and my master plan of adding live food to keep the fry going failed (the fry ate it all in less then 24 hours) I decided to not worry overly much about algae and let the fry eat that while I was gone. This worked to the extent that .. there is a lot of algae, and the fry all survived. So huzzah total success ;P

Anyway after I came back I decided it was time to do something about the algae. I added 4 mid sized amano shrimp to the tank and a couple more ramshorn snails. The snails I had in there have been very busy reproducing like crazy. I probably have a few dozen baby snails in this tank. I doubt all will make it to maturity, but in the meantime they are useful in eating the algae off the tips of the hair grass.

I also replaced the bulb... again! I decided the previous bulb was way too strong because even with 5 amano shrimp (one quite large) the algae was still growing faster then the shrimp could eat. I was also very unhappy with the color of the previous bulb. All of my plants looked yellow-orange.

I thus replaced it with a significantly less powerful bulb... specifically - this SANSI daylight bulb. Its a lot smaller with frankly significantly better color. Its also not generating algae at quite the rate the previous bulb was doing it.

Oh and I added a vampire shrimp.... because VAMPIRES!!

Heh actually I added it because the local fish store guy said they will also help with my algae. I know traditional thinking is to put them in a high flow tank but he seems pretty happy so far crawling around the driftwood and doing his spiffy filter feeding hand trick. Time will tell if it was a good idea.

Here are some pictures of the bowl I took the other night with my real camera.

Vampire shrimp visible in the lower right:

The fry have all gained size as you can see and color as well. I think they still have a bit to go though before they will reach maturity. At this point its just steady as she goes.
post #119 of 124 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Trying to take pictures of this tank is gosh darn difficult! Even with all the lights off in a room except the tank light and taking the shot at night there can still be glare when shooting from certain angles. This is because the light is bouncing around the inside of the tank.

Anyway I tried to capture how the shrimp, snails, and fish look and almost succeeded, in the meantime while I try to figure this out here are some shots of the critters:

From above:

Random shrimp swimming along the edge of the glass:

Ramshorn snail doing what they do... namely breed like crazy and eat my algae:

Random shrimp swimming by:

From my phone camera - a snail who had eggs laid on its shell, and now the eggs are hatching:

Its hard to make out here but the shrimp in the middle of the picture is berried so huzzah!

ScrubbyDick likes this.
post #120 of 124 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 02:00 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (492/100%)
Thank you for posting such a detailed update!

It looks so great. Your focus on scale has more than paid off - with hardscape, plants, critter selection and even substrate depth. Really nice.
minorhero likes this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode