Custom Fish Bowl - The Tank The Forum Gave Me - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 110Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 128 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 11:01 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hummmmm perhaps go through Rachel? I'm sure she'd be happy to give him a call.

I think her website is msjinxed.com but check out the address on YouTube to make sure

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 128 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 01:03 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (492/100%)
LRB Aquatics is what you're looking for.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #33 of 128 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
LRB Aquatics is what you're looking for.
Yep that was where I sent my email. Specifically to the orders email address. I will give it a few days since aquashella and aquatic experience were back to back so probably busy.

In the meantime there is a brand new fish store in my area I hope to check out tomorrow. If I am really lucky they will have what I am after. Otherwise I will contact the folks selling eggs out of Japan and hope for the best.

post #34 of 128 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 03:04 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (492/100%)
You've got a ton of great stores within an hour of you. Definitely check them all out when you can. You'll be surprised by what you can find. @Maryland Guppy gave me a list a few months ago and I've since visited them all. Really impressed with most of them.

But there are also several hidden shops throughout the DC metro area if you ever get the chance to hop the train south. I've found all kinds of interesting tank stuff in little shops throughout Chinatown.

If you do end up importing, it's not complicated to get proper certification to pass APHIS inspection. If it were me, I'd have one of the many shops in your area try to obtain them or import them. Easier and cheaper that way.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #35 of 128 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 09:09 PM
Algae Grower

So sorry about the upside down posting.

I took the photo in landscape mode (not portrait) that's supposed to fix the problem. I'll have to look into it more.

Maybe I'll take the photo upside down LoL.

post #36 of 128 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 09:22 PM
Algae Grower

Holy cow check out the Segrest Farm tour on YouTube - America's largest fresh water wholesaler

post #37 of 128 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 08:14 AM
Planted Member

I really like where this bowl is going! Do you have a list of plants you're planning on adding besides the DHG? Also have you considered other fish besides the rice fish? I think this would be an awesome setup for an Ellasoma pygmy sunfish, I think Jonahs has Ellasoma zonatum. Also have you considered dealing with the fish jumping out? I'm not sure how prone Orzyias are to jumping but they seem similar to killifish who are prolific jumpers. I have found that floating plants present an aesthetically pleasing alternative to a lid. Looking forward to seeing this evolve.
minorhero likes this.
post #38 of 128 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature Freak View Post
Ok here ya go. Alan Luken of Segrest Inc told me he can get any rice fish you want but he's a wholesaler. He said give him a call or shoot him an email and he can tell you which stores have his JRF.

Very nice guy, too. Mention Aquatic Experiencnce he might remember the convo. Attachment 888109

This is awesome! Thank you! It somehow slipped through my net over the last few days but I just sent off an email so hopefully the quest might be close to an end

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampGirl View Post
I really like where this bowl is going! Do you have a list of plants you're planning on adding besides the DHG? Also have you considered other fish besides the rice fish? I think this would be an awesome setup for an Ellasoma pygmy sunfish, I think Jonahs has Ellasoma zonatum. Also have you considered dealing with the fish jumping out? I'm not sure how prone Orzyias are to jumping but they seem similar to killifish who are prolific jumpers. I have found that floating plants present an aesthetically pleasing alternative to a lid. Looking forward to seeing this evolve.

So far its just DHG and micro sword that's planted. There will be hornwort and rotala (my fish store labeled it Bossii but it doesn't look like Bossii to me but /shrug) There may be a third stem plant, I haven't decided, possibly pearl weed. I am planning red root floaters for a floating plant, but they might all die on me before I flood the tank ;P Currently they are busy melting in my quarantine tank. I did recently order Lilaeopsis Chinensis from literally the only seller I could find online. I have no idea how its going to come in, but some of it might find its way into this tank as well.

There won't be a lid but ricefish are not known for being jumpers. They have been kept for literally hundreds of years by the Japanese in little clay pots and still are to this day. They are however a type of Killifish.

I did consider other types of killifish as well as pygmy sunfish (continuing the native theme) but in the end I decided the ricefish would be really spiffy because the clay pots (essentially patio ponds) the Japanese keep them in is pretty nifty and this fish bowl is putting my American spin on it.
Econde likes this.
post #39 of 128 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Update:

Dry start is coming along but soooo slow. In that its clear I won't have a lush carpet by say next week. I don't know how long I will leave it but it will be at least another week before I flood.

Here is how it looks today:

And then the impatient bug hit me. I was out at a petco today and looked at their tissue culture section. They had some decent looking Bucephalandra Brownie Ghost and lobelia cardinalis, which I wasn't familiar with. After looking it up though I found it to be a North American native which I am a complete sucker for so I picked that up as well.

Here is how they looked:

I separated out the buce first and got a LOT of little pieces out of that cup:

I decided to try to dry start the buce on my wood which is kept relatively wet thanks to all the mistings. The misting itself has some Thrive in the bottle so the water is fertilized. While I was at it I decided to also plant the anubias nana I bought originally. The anubias I cut into two pieces and jammed into the wood. I was planning to do the same for the buce but the process was not delicate and one of the anubias' leaves came off convincing me to use superglue for the buce.

Despite using superglue I planted the buce in areas where the wood had cracks, divits, or holes. That way it would look more natural. I also went ahead and planted the Lobelia in the back on one side.

Here is how that looked form the back:

Here is how the tank looks now:

It will be interesting to see if the buce makes it, I think it will but nothing is for sure :P
post #40 of 128 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 06:21 PM
Algae Grower

Coming along nicely

minorhero likes this.
post #41 of 128 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 06:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Great updates. I envy you all that live near a Petco. We have PetSmart here but meh. Anyway looking forward to seeing more of your progression.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
minorhero likes this.

20g Long -Retired
10g Betta tank -Retired
1.1 Gallon Vase -Retired
post #42 of 128 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 01:21 AM
Algae Grower

You're welcome!

You saw where I posted it right side up? (figured out what I was doing wrong).

Did you happen to check out their YouTube video showing their farm in Tampa? Huge.

I hope he comes through for you - we had a nice convo about the rice fishes and other fishy things.

post #43 of 128 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 03:51 AM
Planted Member

Wow petco tissue culture that isn't rotting, yellow, dried out, cracked, or growing on the side of the cup?!?! And Lobelia cardinalis is an awesome plant, I find it on the edge of ponds and water features here all the time growing in its low aquatic form, but you can also grow it emersed (in your garden or a pond) and see the bright red flowers, it gets big if you let it grow that way. There are some other cool Lobelias but none that I know of with an aquatic form like cardinalis which makes it unique in its genus. The dry start actually looks good, plants look healthy even if they're not explosive. In my experience, with soil underlayers it takes a while for plants with weak or small roots to find the dirt, but then once they do they take off, so keep up the patience. When carpeting I like to plant one plant right on the side of the glass so I can observe the root development and get an idea of where the others are. Keep it up!
post #44 of 128 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature Freak View Post
You're welcome!

You saw where I posted it right side up? (figured out what I was doing wrong).

Did you happen to check out their YouTube video showing their farm in Tampa? Huge.

I hope he comes through for you - we had a nice convo about the rice fishes and other fishy things.

He directed me to their website to see what fish they sell and then a feature to see who they sell to. Turns out they sell to Petco and PetSmart plus a few local fish stores in my area. I haven't contacted anyone yet to see if they will do a special order for me but will soon.

The egg seller I thought of as my backup has not responded so heh it's rough in ricefish land 😉
post #45 of 128 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampGirl View Post
Wow petco tissue culture that isn't rotting, yellow, dried out, cracked, or growing on the side of the cup?!?! And Lobelia cardinalis is an awesome plant, I find it on the edge of ponds and water features here all the time growing in its low aquatic form, but you can also grow it emersed (in your garden or a pond) and see the bright red flowers, it gets big if you let it grow that way. There are some other cool Lobelias but none that I know of with an aquatic form like cardinalis which makes it unique in its genus. The dry start actually looks good, plants look healthy even if they're not explosive. In my experience, with soil underlayers it takes a while for plants with weak or small roots to find the dirt, but then once they do they take off, so keep up the patience. When carpeting I like to plant one plant right on the side of the glass so I can observe the root development and get an idea of where the others are. Keep it up!
I am pretty excited to watch the development but I am not sure the dry start was a good idea for the anubias or buce. I am away for about 32 hours and neither was looking super hot before I left even after stepping up my mistings.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode