• 1 Post By armada
  • 2 Post By armada
  • 1 Post By armada

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
3-ish gallon cube, low tech planted, first nano tank

Well, itís been years since Iíve done one of these. I set this little tank up about a year ago with hopes of my first nano shrimp tank, but it ended up on the back burner until recently. I figured since Iím actually putting an effort into it, and itís something quite out of my comfort zone, Iíd make a journal listing here to document my journey.

I tested out multiple hardscapes, I think this was my most difficult decision. Most people liked the wood the most but the single stone really kept my attention so I went with that.

DAY 1: September 11, 2019
Decided on the hardscape, planted with some cuttings I had on hand. DHG and Alternanthera Reineckii. Admittedly planted pretty haphazardly because I thought Iíd lose them all during fill up. Surprisingly they all stayed put minus that one floater. Decided to just leave as is. Iíll add more plants down the line so the scape right now doesnít matter as much.

WEEK 1: September 18, 2019
Surprised to see growth so soon. Iíll probably finalise plant plans here in the next couple weeks so rescaping is in the horizon, but Iím really happy with the hardscape decision. Wood wouldíve been cool but I feel like this has a bit of potential. Itís on my desk and grows on me a little more every day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

3-ish gallon cube, low tech planted, first nano tank

Top photo taken September 12, bottom photo taken today September 22. Really quite surprised at the growth in only 10 days.

Econde likes this.

Last edited by armada; 09-22-2019 at 01:53 AM. Reason: pic didn't upload correctly
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 02:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Very nice! The plants are doing well
I think it would be nice to plant some moss growing up the rock. It would soften the contrast between the darkness of the substrate and the light colored rock.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 04:30 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Very nice! The plants are doing well

I think it would be nice to plant some moss growing up the rock. It would soften the contrast between the darkness of the substrate and the light colored rock.

Thank you! Iíve been trying to figure out how best to incorporate some moss in this scape and I think you hit the nail on the head with that idea!

Discusluv likes this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by armada View Post
Thank you! Iíve been trying to figure out how best to incorporate some moss in this scape and I think you hit the nail on the head with that

Decided to try out a moss wall before a moss rock... Iíve never done this so I have no idea how this is gonna turn out. Not feeling super great about it right now though lol Name:  IMG_4004.JPG
Views: 89
Size:  88.0 KB

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Week 3: October 4, 2019
Tapatalk won't let me upload large photos anymore, the last few updates I tried using the "small size" option seem to be... really small. I'm trying it out on my computer but if anyone has any advice on how to get the photos to look like they did in my first post I'd be super grateful!
Anywho, here's the tank as of today. Cycle completed, I added in 10 pretty low grade RCS, there's an LFS close by that does incredible blood red cherries at $5 each, but as I've never kept shrimp I was nervous to pay that much. Found a local hobbiest selling their culls for $1.50 each and decided to use those to get started. Here's to hoping I don't kill them all off, because they're ridiculously adorable. I've got a berried female as well, you can see her in the photo underneath the marimo. Perhaps I'll have little shrimplets soon. On the plant front, everything seems to be doing pretty well. The AR is seeming to get more red despite the lack of fertilizers or Co2... my glass lid did break the other day so perhaps that's allowing them more light? I don't know, but I'm enjoying it while it lasts. The DHG is still growing way faster than expected, I'm curious to see if it'll end up carpeting itself without Co2 or if it'll just stay sparse (like I imagine it will). The moss walls haven't changed since I put them in a week ago, but it's java so I imagine they'll be pretty unsightly for a while. The shrimps are still hanging out back there though, which is success in my opinion! I've also been thinking about how to break up the stark contrast of the rock; moss was recommended here but I feel like it would interfere with the rest of the scape. I'm considering some anubias nana petite for all those deep crevices, though I don't have any in my collection so it'll probably be awhile before I spend actual money on it. For now I'll just keep letting it jungle out.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Not an actual tank update, just here to say: Babies! (I had no idea they would be this tiny!)

chicken.nublet likes this.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 04:57 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (489/100%)
Great shrimplet photo!

They're even smaller than that when hatched.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Havenít had any updates for a while and probably wonít, Iíve got tons and tons of baby shrimp. They seem to really enjoy grazing the algae on the glass so Iíve been leaving it instead of scrubbing it. They sometimes gather in big groups to have a munch and itís adorable

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 05:55 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nice, what kind of tank is that? Fluval spec?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode