41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 03:05 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by chayos00 View Post
Tank is looking good, I used to use chemical filtration, but didn't really notice a difference with or without it. Only reason I would use purigen is to remove tannins from the water, but that's just me. Had to google for ChemiPure, "Filters out phosphates (PO4) and silicates (SIO2)" If you dose ferts you are taking out valuable PO4, which your plants use. However I think I saw you use root tabs, which for a bit may not be bad, but in the long run, I'd just stick with Mechanical & biological filtration.

Either way, can't wait to see how this turns out!
Appreciate it man. The ChemiPure was ordered when the tank was completely GHA and I was trying solutions. I'll take it out in a week or two. Biggest concern was that my tap water was the issue but it looks like we're OK!

Once the tank is stable and the plants are cooking, Purigen can just be for photoshoots lol.

Gonna call the one LFS and see if they can order any interesting schooling fish. If not, I'll have to order from online.
chayos00 likes this.

[
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
] [
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
] [
]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

What pH do you guys think I should shoot for? 7.3?

[
] [
] [
]
post #33 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 05:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
That should be an ad for AlgaeFix! Great results there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Freeman View Post
What pH do you guys think I should shoot for? 7.3?
What's it at now? Trying to target a certain pH is usually more trouble than it's worth, IMO, unless it's off the charts in either direction. If in the range of say, 6.4 to 7.6 I'd let that sleeping dog lie
chayos00 and Morgan Freeman like this.

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

post #34 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 02:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Question Picking my school

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakJimW View Post
That should be an ad for AlgaeFix! Great results there

What's it at now? Trying to target a certain pH is usually more trouble than it's worth, IMO, unless it's off the charts in either direction. If in the range of say, 6.4 to 7.6 I'd let that sleeping dog lie
Thanks. It was even more of an extreme change in the immediate 48 hours. Some daphnia I ordered arrived. They will (supposedly) help eat phytoplankton as a more natural solution.

Pygmy rasbora vs. harlequin rasbora vs. Beckford's pencilfish vs. ember tetra ???

pH tested at 6.28 just now, so a little low but preferable for two of those species.

Harlequin's (or neon tetras) would be the safest bet but other two options are more unique. Only concern is if the tank is too bright for them.

[
] [
] [
]
post #35 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 10:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

I would say for your ph levels, here's how you determine your needed ph. First you need to have a container of your water that has been sitting out for about a week, this allows the liquid to equalize with the ambient air for your CO2 levels. Take this off gassed water and pH test it with a quality test, test strips are garbage... Then you need to find out what your kH level is in your water. So once you have those two numbers and the use of an aquarium calculator such as the Zorfox one (Zorfox's Planted Tank Calculator) then you can calculate what your 30ppm of CO2 drop level should be.
Morgan Freeman likes this.

300g 8' acrylic aquarium acquired, in process to build/setup/plan setup

post #36 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by chayos00 View Post
I would say for your ph levels, here's how you determine your needed ph. First you need to have a container of your water that has been sitting out for about a week, this allows the liquid to equalize with the ambient air for your CO2 levels. Take this off gassed water and pH test it with a quality test, test strips are garbage... Then you need to find out what your kH level is in your water. So once you have those two numbers and the use of an aquarium calculator such as the Zorfox one (Zorfox's Planted Tank Calculator) then you can calculate what your 30ppm of CO2 drop level should be.
Don't use test strips, have a calibrated meter. Sounds good though, I'll try it out.
chayos00 likes this.

[
] [
] [
]
post #37 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 01:23 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Freeman View Post
Don't use test strips, have a calibrated meter. Sounds good though, I'll try it out.
Even better having a pH meter! In my opinion and I'm sure others the only way to really know! LOL

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Morgan Freeman likes this.

300g 8' acrylic aquarium acquired, in process to build/setup/plan setup

post #38 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ordered 19 Pygmy rasboras (Boraras maculatus).

I'll probably be disappointed that they won't stay in the open together and be too small...BUT let's hope not. If so, I'll just go to boring 'ole Harlequin's next time.
chayos00 likes this.

Tags
60p, ada 60h, aquascape, planted, usa

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode