Rocket City 60-H - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 11:01 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Looking forward to see the plants in the tank.
It looks very promising.
Morgan Freeman likes this.

Just in for information... and planning, a lot of planning
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 12:11 PM
Algae Grower

Nice hardscape design! I can't wait to see the planted pics
post #18 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 01:31 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
That stone is GORGEOUS! Almost makes me glad I couldn't get my 12 tanks down here..."I'll take 5000 lbs of that, please."

I found out that the "H" in 120-H stands for HERNIA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GLA Mini M "Divorce Papers"
ADA 60-P Mist "A Beautiful Place Out In The Country"

PROUD US Army Disabled Veteran 1994-2004

post #19 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

GLA plants came yesterday -- I ordered too many! CO2 running at ~0.5bps for now. Algae bloom will be on its way.

I really like the Buceph godzilla -- gave it a prime spot.

Takedakai, Boostr, fpn and 2 others like this.

[
] [
] [
]

Last edited by Morgan Freeman; 11-09-2019 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Removed bad pic
post #20 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 02:11 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Great start! If you are ever in Chattanooga, I have some plants that we can trade ha.
post #21 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vadim Shevchuk View Post
Great start! If you are ever in Chattanooga, I have some plants that we can trade ha.
I suspect the tank will be up for less than a year (apartment move) so next August you'll be welcome to pick up some freebies!

Slightly better pic

One of my Sat+ has a decent amount of LED's out. I'll have to consider replacing it (but don't feel like paying $80).

[
] [
] [
]
post #22 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Was particularly fond of this view when the lights turned on today.

Bought a lily pipe surface skimmer a couple days ago. Will be an upgrade over the hulk-like Eheim intake. Tank has cleared up. It's looking like I might not have an algae bloom. MC tissue cultures have finished melting and are sprouting. Only plant I'm worried about is my small Buceph's, which may not survive the transfer shock.
Desert Pupfish likes this.

[
] [
] [
]
post #23 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

First tank I've cycled with zero algae bloom. Just five days of bacterial cloudiness. TSS+ with all the plants I put in, plus CO2, did the trick. Impressive, considering I'm using a decent amount of Amazonia soil and had some root tabs + PowerSoil.
rwong2k likes this.

[
] [
] [
]
post #24 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 03:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Six days of growth during Thanksgiving. Tank was on total auto-pilot as I was back home. No top-off, dosing, etc.

Turning up CO2 now. I'll trim everything and do a full clean-up tomorrow. Things are filling in nicely.

Takedakai and Boostr like this.

[
] [
] [
]
post #25 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 01:18 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Let's just say that when the algae came...it came THICC.

I'm hoping the tank is on the tail-end of the bloom. Most plants were able to fill in despite algae. I think it was mainly a matter of water dissolving some root tabs on a delay (idk why I insist on tabs + aquasoil...)

[
] [
] [
]
post #26 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 01:21 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
My generic suggestion is to lower your light level, while you look at the rest of your system.

Style: Organic potting soil, gravel, sand, wood, plants, algae, biofilm, snails, shrimp, fish, dual siestas
Tech : Small tanks, Fluval Plant 3.0, Top Fin MF10, Eheim Classic 150, Neptune Systems Apex EL
Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|
post #27 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 03:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Freeman View Post
Was particularly fond of this view when the lights turned on today.

Bought a lily pipe surface skimmer a couple days ago. Will be an upgrade over the hulk-like Eheim intake. Tank has cleared up. It's looking like I might not have an algae bloom. MC tissue cultures have finished melting and are sprouting. Only plant I'm worried about is my small Buceph's, which may not survive the transfer shock.
Your tank looks great!
But you HAVE to get that on a different stand ASAP!!!!
A single span particleboard 3/4" thick with 50lb per square foot should never exceed 20"
You've got probably 36" span there with 275 lbs over 3 square feet, which is 91 LB/square foot.
Almost double what that span is rated for at 20" let alone 36"
If you notice the gaps on the left and right where the paneling doesn't line up because its bowing.

I would not be surprised if this failed within a week or two.
Please go out of your way to save your investment, find something to put it on where the supports much much closer to the dimensions of the tank!!!
chayos00 and Morgan Freeman like this.

post #28 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chlorophile View Post
Your tank looks great!
But you HAVE to get that on a different stand ASAP!!!!
A single span particleboard 3/4" thick with 50lb per square foot should never exceed 20"
You've got probably 36" span there with 275 lbs over 3 square feet, which is 91 LB/square foot.
Almost double what that span is rated for at 20" let alone 36"
If you notice the gaps on the left and right where the paneling doesn't line up because its bowing.

I would not be surprised if this failed within a week or two.
Please go out of your way to save your investment, find something to put it on where the supports much much closer to the dimensions of the tank!!!
I see your concern. No doubt that I 'cheaped out' on the stand. The reason the tank is still standing from that photo two months ago is likely because the two back panels are bearing weight.

I can get a piece of wood cut to help support the center and shift the tank to the far right of the stand. Should help in the short-term.

Just ordered some Purigen/ChemiPure Elite. Given that this tank hasn't received any media yet (due to a lack of a LFS), I expect these to have a pretty immediate effect. I wanted to order some shrimp from LiveAquaria but the shipping cost just didn't make it worth it.

The snot algae/GHA seems particularly attracted to the Monte Carlo (which has still managed to carpet). The tank stays at 72F right now...idk going to ~75F would give the display plants the edge (or opposite effect occurs).
Chlorophile and chayos00 like this.

[
] [
] [
]
post #29 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Purigen and ChemiPure Elite may have helped a bit in turning the GHA into green water but who knows.

I added some Algaefix for the green water and that cleaned the tank up overnight. I can finally share a decent pic of the tank.

With the aesthetic algae crap taken care of, I'll probably now grab some fish and get the tank rdy for "presentation".

Any tips on getting some more red out of the rotalas? (I get that more light, CO2 or iron would be the normal response)
Takedakai and chayos00 like this.

[
] [
] [
]
post #30 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 05:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Freeman View Post
Purigen and ChemiPure Elite may have helped a bit in turning the GHA into green water but who knows.

I added some Algaefix for the green water and that cleaned the tank up overnight. I can finally share a decent pic of the tank.

With the aesthetic algae crap taken care of, I'll probably now grab some fish and get the tank rdy for "presentation".

Any tips on getting some more red out of the rotalas? (I get that more light, CO2 or iron would be the normal response)
Tank is looking good, I used to use chemical filtration, but didn't really notice a difference with or without it. Only reason I would use purigen is to remove tannins from the water, but that's just me. Had to google for ChemiPure, "Filters out phosphates (PO4) and silicates (SIO2)" If you dose ferts you are taking out valuable PO4, which your plants use. However I think I saw you use root tabs, which for a bit may not be bad, but in the long run, I'd just stick with Mechanical & biological filtration.

Either way, can't wait to see how this turns out!

300g 8' acrylic aquarium acquired, in process to build/setup/plan setup

Tags
60p, ada 60h, aquascape, planted, usa

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode