Bowfront - The Planted Tank Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 05:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Bowfront

I finally reset my old saltwater tank that got killed by Irene in 2011. I kept trying to give the tank away, but I just couldn't do it.
Discusluv and sudhirr like this.

Style: Organic soil (dirt), sand, gravel, plants, moss, algae, biofilm, mulm, snails, shrimp, small fish
Tech: Fluval Plant 3.0 Nano, Top Fin MF10, Tunze 3161, Eheim Skim 350, Neptune Apex EL
Tanks:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|

Media:
|

Last edited by Streetwise; 11-11-2019 at 04:03 AM. Reason: Title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 06:02 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (30/100%)
Well i'm glad you didnt because it looks very nice especially that driftwood as the main center piece. Do you have any plans for livestock?
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 06:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks! A bit of feels with this tank.

I've been thinking about trying some live-bearers, but I don't really have any plans. Any ideas?

Cheers

Style: Organic soil (dirt), sand, gravel, plants, moss, algae, biofilm, mulm, snails, shrimp, small fish
Tech: Fluval Plant 3.0 Nano, Top Fin MF10, Tunze 3161, Eheim Skim 350, Neptune Apex EL
Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|

Media:
|

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 07:40 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (30/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetwise View Post
Thanks! A bit of feels with this tank.

I've been thinking about trying some live-bearers, but I don't really have any plans. Any ideas?

Cheers
Lol I totally get it, thats why I always keep needing extra storage haha

Hmmm lets see if you're thinking live bearers then my suggestion is guppy! I've kept them before and next thing you know the population sky rocket lol. In the past I've kept them where 5:1 female to male ratio and I gotta say the males were really happy lol
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 03:44 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (494/100%)
Guppies or Endlers would definitely make for a nice addition to the tank.

Could also consider something like Heterandria formosa, as they reproduce much more slowly than other livebearers. A bunch of White Cloud Minnows or even Ember Tetras would also look great.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 06:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

What is the most orange Endler?

Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|

Media:
|
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 06:08 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thatís a nice size tank, not to big or to small. I would never have thought about getting rid of it.

Only criticisms I could find is soil/substrate is about 2x to deep IMHO. Love way wood splits right down middle.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I tried two filters in the corners, and there was a visual effect where nothing looked parallel. I decided everything should be centered in this bow-front tank.

I have done deep soil layers on all of my planted tanks. I do see bubbles from the substrate, but the livestock doesn't notice.

I put soil in based on the root structure I expect, just like a potted plant or a garden.

Cheers

Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|

Media:
|
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 06:19 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetwise View Post
I finally reset my old saltwater tank that got killed by Irene in 2011. I kept trying to give the tank away, but I just couldn't do it.
Looks really wow....

Bump: What kind of substrate, lights and plants are you having in this tank?
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 06:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I am using Miracle Gro Organic Choice. This tank actually still has the saltwater lights I was running in 2011, with one white tube and one blue tube. I intend to replace it with a Fluval Planted 3.0, since that is what I run on all my other tanks. The blue light does make for some cool photos!
sudhirr likes this.

Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|

Media:
|

Last edited by Streetwise; 10-16-2019 at 03:06 AM.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I took out all the plants, removed the sand and gravel cap, and then thinned out the soil to 1.5 inches deep. Then I put back the sand cap and replanted. It took a ton of time. I've been overly aggressive with soil depth in the past, but I am trying to more closely follow the recommendations from Diana Walstad's book going forward.
Discusluv and DaveKS like this.

Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|

Media:
|

Last edited by Streetwise; 10-16-2019 at 03:06 AM.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 02:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Fresh photo:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	878F7515-F28C-4B9C-B2D3-C4C08B510832_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	239.4 KB
ID:	888755  

Last edited by Streetwise; 10-30-2019 at 04:47 AM. Reason: Photo
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 03:59 AM
Wannabe Guru

That looks good. Just a suggestion, I would move the wood off center (rule of thirds). You certainly can leave it centered, but by moving it off-center you create eye flow away from the wood as you add more plants, etc. With the wood dead center the eye doesn't know which direction to go. Usually things look more natural that way as opposed to a man-made object.

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 04:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
That looks good. Just a suggestion, I would move the wood off center (rule of thirds). You certainly can leave it centered, but by moving it off-center you create eye flow away from the wood as you add more plants, etc. With the wood dead center the eye doesn't know which direction to go. Usually things look more natural that way as opposed to a man-made object.
I generally agree, and I don't have hardscape centered in any of my rectangular tanks. However, with this bow front tank, any tech looks more square when centered. I have the filter and heater right on the centerline, and I just moved the wood to hide them from a central view. I may try another wood arrangement from your suggestion, but this piece is a bit oversized for this tank, so I don't have as many options.

Cheers

Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|

Media:
|

Last edited by Streetwise; 11-02-2019 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Spelling
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I moved three of my yellow shrimp in and they are enjoying it.

I propped up my wood to make sure there is flow and space underneath it. I may add another piece of driftwood, but I still like having this piece centered to hide my tech.

Cheers

Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|

Media:
|

Last edited by Streetwise; 11-01-2019 at 05:32 AM. Reason: Details

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode