Fluvel Spec V Shrimp Build ( Now: not a III but a V) - The Planted Tank Forum
 71Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Fluvel Spec V Shrimp Build ( Now: not a III but a V)

Yes, another shrimp tank.

But, the more you have the more you realize how in need you are of another. The last one put up and just finished cycling has been recommissioned as a tank for c. Baubalti "zebra" that are "extra special" that I can keep and share with my friends.

So.... that leaves a tank still needed for the Golden bees.

Enters the Fluvel Spec III

I wanted this one very simple because it is so small. Been going through my wood ( which I have a lot of options on that end) and my rock.

I have these larger rocks that I was thinking... what about a rock scape using just one or both bof these rocks. One could be standing, the other lying down and covered with moss. The area surrounding could be planted with crypt parva or other short growing plant that doesnt require Co2. Behind the rock, some taller plants. but, really restrained overall.

This look is really hard to get right-- I always find it to be more a look for the advanced. ~Not me.

These rocks are very textural and interesting. I forget what they are. I bought them at a LFS. Yea or nay?

The other thing to know is it will have fine controsoil.
Thelongsnail and Yaboihunt like this.

Last edited by Discusluv; 09-10-2019 at 01:15 AM. Reason: Updated info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

post #3 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 02:33 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (489/100%)
Seiryu stone can impact water parameters, so you'd want to test it in some water for a week or two to see how it goes with kH. Probably not ideal in a tiny tank with Caradina shrimp if there's any doubt.

If it does impact water hardness, you could always coat it in epoxy. Not as complicated as it seems.

I really like the idea in that video. Definitely a look you could achieve through a bit of trial and error.
Discusluv likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #4 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 03:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Seiryu stone can impact water parameters, so you'd want to test it in some water for a week or two to see how it goes with kH. Probably not ideal in a tiny tank with Caradina shrimp if there's any doubt.

If it does impact water hardness, you could always coat it in epoxy. Not as complicated as it seems.

I really like the idea in that video. Definitely a look you could achieve through a bit of trial and error.
Ill google "coating Seiryu in epoxy" for aquarium to see what comes up. Depending on how involved it is-- Ill see.

Thanks!

post #5 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 03:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Im going to scratch the Seriyu stone rock-scape look--- I just dont feel confident that I could pull it off.

I actually found this very simple rock/driftwood scape that am going to use as inspiration.
Will go out tomorrow and see if I can find some small amount of cosmetic sand like pictured in the video. Have Controsoil coming...
Already have many pieces of wood can use.

What moss do I want use for this?
Other plants suggestions?

I love the down to earth demeanor of this guy in video. And such a talented aquascaper.

post #6 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Tank coming today!

Cycling again...
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

post #7 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 04:04 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Im going to scratch the Seriyu stone rock-scape look--- I just dont feel confident that I could pull it off.

I actually found this very simple rock/driftwood scape that am going to use as inspiration.
Will go out tomorrow and see if I can find some small amount of cosmetic sand like pictured in the video. Have Controsoil coming...
Already have many pieces of wood can use.

What moss do I want use for this?
Other plants suggestions?

I love the down to earth demeanor of this guy in video. And such a talented aquascaper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80XD...&feature=share
That's George Farmer. He is a pretty spiffy aquascaper with a TON of videos. Travels all over doing aquascapes professionally and for himself. He is actually the reason I am here since I found one of his videos about a year ago and thought huh I can do this!

My favorite moss right now is fissiden fontanus. It gets little leafy looking parts that stick out perpendicular to the light source. I have it growing all over my Spec V.

I am also really liking dwarf sagittaria because its growing so darn well for me in my low tech tank. In a Spec III you could use it as a background plant if you have the back banked up real high. Otherwise go with some nice easy growing stems. MD Fishtanks (another youtuber) puts a lot of limnophila sessiliflora into his tanks because they are such easy growers.
Blue Ridge Reef and Discusluv like this.
post #8 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
That's George Farmer. He is a pretty spiffy aquascaper with a TON of videos. Travels all over doing aquascapes professionally and for himself. He is actually the reason I am here since I found one of his videos about a year ago and thought huh I can do this!

My favorite moss right now is fissiden fontanus. It gets little leafy looking parts that stick out perpendicular to the light source. I have it growing all over my Spec V.

I am also really liking dwarf sagittaria because its growing so darn well for me in my low tech tank. In a Spec III you could use it as a background plant if you have the back banked up real high. Otherwise go with some nice easy growing stems. MD Fishtanks (another youtuber) puts a lot of limnophila sessiliflora into his tanks because they are such easy growers.
I subscribed to his Youtube channel and following on Instagram

Thank you for the plant suggestions. I like them all!

post #9 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Tank delivered with a chunk out of top glass rim
Dang-it!
Back to Amazon.

post #10 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 09:51 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

No fun.

Bet they let you keep it for parts, though. (Maybe they will?)

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #11 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
No fun.

Bet they let you keep it for parts, though. (Maybe they will?)
No such luck.

They then tried to replace it with a white one-- I cancelled the order.

The glass seemed much thinner than the Fluvel Flex. Now Im not sure... maybe should just get the Flex again as its only about 25 dollars difference.

Maybe I should just order that again...

post #12 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 10:50 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

Spec glass is a bit thinner than the Flex because it's a much smaller tank.

Looks like Chewy has it in stock for the same price if you want to try there. They probably do a better job shipping than Amazon's fulfillment centers.

May also want to check your local Petco locations. They often have it in stock.

The Spec line of tanks is pretty great for shrimp.

Update: $10 off $65 or $15 off $80 at Petco. It's $79.99 there but ends up being cheaper with the current sale. Looks like there's one in stock near you, even, if you wanted to do pickup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
No such luck.

They then tried to replace it with a white one-- I cancelled the order.

The glass seemed much thinner than the Fluvel Flex. Now Im not sure... maybe should just get the Flex again as its only about 25 dollars difference.

Maybe I should just order that again...

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

Last edited by somewhatshocked; 09-09-2019 at 11:01 PM. Reason: update
post #13 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Spec glass is a bit thinner than the Flex because it's a much smaller tank.

Looks like Chewy has it in stock for the same price if you want to try there. They probably do a better job shipping than Amazon's fulfillment centers.

May also want to check your local Petco locations. They often have it in stock.

The Spec line of tanks is pretty great for shrimp.

Update: $10 off $65 or $15 off $80 at Petco. It's $79.99 there but ends up being cheaper with the current sale. Looks like there's one in stock near you, even, if you wanted to do pickup.
Okay! Thanks for finding that! So, the Spec glass on the 5 gallon would most likely be the same as the 2.6 gallon?

I was also looking at this one that is 10% off and free shipping and just adding my own components. I would order the 2.9 gallon.

I think I would just move the light from the other one for now ( the Fluvel Flex) and use the rinky-dink lid/light it came with.

I have an air-pump so all need is sponge filter.

What do you think of these two @somewhatshocked ? the prices turn out about same with discount.
I like the idea that they are clearer glass. It is really hard to see the shrimp in the Fluvel flex. I wonder if these would have better clarity and be a better glass? Which size and shape is better for a shrimp tank?

https://www.amazon.com/Ultum-Nature-...DFSXDW87M&th=1

or this one from Petco:

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcos...uarium-3084191

Last edited by Discusluv; 09-10-2019 at 12:30 AM. Reason: more info
post #14 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 12:50 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

Both could definitely work but since the UNS is such a small tank, a sponge filter is going to take up a pretty large amount of room no matter how small it is. So you'd want to factor that in. I'd use a small HOB. If you're interested in rimless, you could get a nicer UNS all-in-one for $150ish. Could get a standard 30c cube for $75. UNS 3gal is usually about $60. Could get a standard UNS 6gal for $80 that's comparable to the Waterbox.

If you go with the Waterbox, you'd probably want to have a filter like the AC20. HOBs on rimless cubes kinda kill the look, in my opinion, but they don't take up valuable tank space. Double sponge filter could also work but it'll stick out about 3 inches into the tank.

Not sure about glass clarity but just about any standard tank should be fine for viewing shrimp. The Flex curve likely causes a bit of distortion.

Spec III glass is 4mm and I think Spec V glass is 5mm - my brain started to melt as I squinted at the tape measure. About standard for any smaller rimless aquarium. Can surprisingly handle a lot of weight and pressure. Glass on my 20cm cube is 5mm and it's been to hell and back several times.

Something to keep in mind since you're in California - there's a chance you'll need to cool your Bee tank down with a fan at some point. That's where something like the Spec or some other open top tank will come in handy. With the Spec line, there's an open area in the clear cover to allow a fan to blow through and it's one of the reasons I've grown to really like them.

Since you're considering different tanks... why not just go with a standard 5.5 or 10gal tank with a glass cover from Petco? Cost-effective even with a hinged glass cover, filter & LED - there are several options on Amazon. I'm guessing you could be all-in for about $75. $15ish for a 5.5gal, $10 for a glass cover, $25 for LED, $25 for AC20.
Discusluv likes this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #15 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Both could definitely work but since the UNS is such a small tank, a sponge filter is going to take up a pretty large amount of room no matter how small it is. So you'd want to factor that in. I'd use a small HOB. If you're interested in rimless, you could get a nicer UNS all-in-one for $150ish. Could get a standard 30c cube for $75. UNS 3gal is usually about $60. Could get a standard UNS 6gal for $80 that's comparable to the Waterbox.

If you go with the Waterbox, you'd probably want to have a filter like the AC20. HOBs on rimless cubes kinda kill the look, in my opinion, but they don't take up valuable tank space. Double sponge filter could also work but it'll stick out about 3 inches into the tank.

Not sure about glass clarity but just about any standard tank should be fine for viewing shrimp. The Flex curve likely causes a bit of distortion.

Spec III glass is 4mm and I think Spec V glass is 5mm - my brain started to melt as I squinted at the tape measure. About standard for any smaller rimless aquarium. Can surprisingly handle a lot of weight and pressure. Glass on my 20cm cube is 5mm and it's been to hell and back several times.

Something to keep in mind since you're in California - there's a chance you'll need to cool your Bee tank down with a fan at some point. That's where something like the Spec or some other open top tank will come in handy. With the Spec line, there's an open area in the clear cover to allow a fan to blow through and it's one of the reasons I've grown to really like them.

Since you're considering different tanks... why not just go with a standard 5.5 or 10gal tank with a glass cover from Petco? Cost-effective even with a hinged glass cover, filter & LED - there are several options on Amazon. I'm guessing you could be all-in for about $75. $15ish for a 5.5gal, $10 for a glass cover, $25 for LED, $25 for AC20.
Thanks, my friend-- you helped me make up my mind with all these considerations. Ill get the Spec V. I just dont like the dimensions of the 3 at all... especially when it came cracked.

edit: Ordered through Petco- cheaper than Amazon with Promo code and delivery Wednesday

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode