Fluvel Spec V Shrimp Build ( Now: not a III but a V) - Page 6 - The Planted Tank Forum
 140Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #76 of 190 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 06:41 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I like what you've done with the aquascaping. I'm looking forward to the pictures post algae outbreak.

I know what you mean about projects. It's hard to resist when it's something you really enjoy but there can be a 'dark side' to it as you noticed. Hope you find the balance. This may be a battle I have to fight as well as I get back into the hobby, lol.
Discusluv likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 190 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
The tank has been cycling at just about a month. Finally getting some movement from the nitrites.

Tests:
ammonia - 0
nitrite -1
nitrate- 20

TDS- 115
KH- 2
GH - 2

The snails have done an amazing job of cleaning off the moss. I was beginning to think I would need to plant this tank in some other way because the algae had covered the moss so much. These snails are not bothering me so bad either. Im getting used to them.

A current picture--- its not that spectacular, but the shrimp should like it.
schooldazed likes this.

post #78 of 190 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 01:41 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
That looks beautiful! I would love to see another photo after sunset.

Cheers
Discusluv likes this.

Style: Organic soil (dirt), sand, gravel, plants, moss, algae, biofilm, mulm, snails, shrimp, small fish
Tech: Fluval Plant 3.0 Nano, Top Fin MF10, Tunze 3161, Eheim Skim 350, Neptune Apex EL
Tanks:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|

Media:
|

post #79 of 190 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 03:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetwise View Post
That looks beautiful! I would love to see another photo after sunset.

Cheers
Thank you. here is a picture after sundown:

Yaboihunt, Streetwise and bortass like this.

post #80 of 190 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Processed 2 ppm of ammonia in 24 hours. Couple more weeks and should be good to go. I will keep on dosing and testing to make sure, however. Wont be caught off guard again like last time where thought was cycled and hadn't yet gone through the nitrite stage.

I think I will just end up putting tiger shrimp and neo's in here for now. The R/O unit isnt set up yet. Im thinking the Jade neo's-- they are so cool. For tigers-- what I can get.

post #81 of 190 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 04:51 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (494/100%)
That's good news about ammonia processing.

What are your current kH & gH parameters?

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #82 of 190 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
That's good news about ammonia processing.

What are your current kH & gH parameters?
Ill do that today-- a few days ago it was GH 2/KH 2.

post #83 of 190 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

My KH appeared to change after 1 drop. Really, the other day I thought this was the case as well but thought "nah" it was at least 2 drops. My GH was 4 this time.
Not very consistent is it?

post #84 of 190 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 09:25 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

Since you're planning to keep Goldens, that kH (low) is fine. Hitting a gH of about 5 will be pretty good, as well. So you're almost there.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #85 of 190 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Since you're planning to keep Goldens, that kH (low) is fine. Hitting a gH of about 5 will be pretty good, as well. So you're almost there.

Ill stick with the goldens, then, like I originally planned

Just thought it would be off the table for now. Glad to hear its still doable. I can adjust that GH up with the GH remineralizer I received from you. I had planned to use the GH remineralizer last time I did water change in the Fluvel Flex as well, but forgot and used the Equilibrium.

post #86 of 190 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Getting some gangbusters's growth in the moss and hairgrass. I never thought I could grow tall hairgrass without Co2, but it is doing well in both this tank and my 5 gallon cylinder vase.

Is this Christmas moss on branch extending to sand? I think that is what I put on that branch.

The branch that goes highest to water line has weeping moss attached to it. The moss that cascades over the rock- on the slope is Taiwan moss.

post #87 of 190 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 03:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks for the recommendation of the Sera pH test @somewhatshocked.
So much easier than the API brand. No fuss, no mess.

This tank and the Fluvel Flex tested around 6.5 pH and the vase and the 30 gallon with inert soil are around 7.0.
Im a convert for sure.

post #88 of 190 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 02:30 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

Glad you found it useful. The giant test tube alone is worth it. Just swirl it around, stick it on the paper and you've got your reading.

In case anyone reading this is interested in what I mean, here's a look:

There's no ambiguity between colors and saturation is such that it's easy to spot changes right away. No ambiguity, you ask? Nope. You'll be kinda (somewhat? ) shocked if you're switching from API.

Also like Sera for kH, gH and Nitrate. Have used their other kits to test things like potassium in the past but... I'm hoping to never have to use CO2 and super-precise fertilizer dosing again.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #89 of 190 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Glad you found it useful. The giant test tube alone is worth it. Just swirl it around, stick it on the paper and you've got your reading.

In case anyone reading this is interested in what I mean, here's a look:

There's no ambiguity between colors and saturation is such that it's easy to spot changes right away. No ambiguity, you ask? Nope. You'll be kinda (somewhat? ) shocked if you're switching from API.

Also like Sera for kH, gH and Nitrate. Have used their other kits to test things like potassium in the past but... I'm hoping to never have to use CO2 and super-precise fertilizer dosing again.
Im going to order all Sera brand when my API runs out.

Shockingly superior product--

post #90 of 190 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Good news is that this tank is processing 2ppm of ammonia in 24 hours.
Bad news, the water chemistry has changed. Because my water comes from 2 different sources, its chemistry is erratic. The stats today:
pH 6.0
kh-2
gh 6

This erratic water cant be good for any shrimp. Until I get the R/O system up I will not subject these fragile creatures to my dumb water. I hope my others do fine that bi already have. I guess I could see if I can get some R.O water at the LFS.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode