Fluvel Spec V Shrimp Build ( Now: not a III but a V) - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 140Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 190 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
100% nailed it. 10/10. Great scape.

Taking advantage of the tank's height, as you have done, is going to make your experience with shrimp a lot more enjoyable. It looks better, gives them more foraging space and allows for multiple observation points.

Given any thought to a background yet?
Oh good!- Im relieved because I am so done with this part of the build. Not fun.

I guess ill just order a black background. I forgot about that.

I would love suggestions on mosses- this scpae will primarily be just that. Some crypt parva or short grassd in that section close to glass on hill. Some Rotala Bossi towards back, and a few larger crypts in between branches (I just bought a group of Green gecko crypts from member who just advertised them on here. )
The sand will stay open.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 190 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 09:14 PM
Banned

PTrader: (0/0%)
As for mosses I suggest java moss. You nailed it on the other plant ideas though This tank is turning out really well!
Discusluv likes this.

75 gallon planted tank. About to stock.
10 gallon QT

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one” – Bruce Lee

75 gallon tank journal
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 190 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Look at this link of the peacock and weeping moss on branches at bottom of page. those would both be really beautiful in this tank.

https://microaquaticshop.com.au/collections/moss

post #34 of 190 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 09:41 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Oh good!- Im relieved because I am so done with this part of the build. Not fun.
Loving this scape! It makes me want to set my newest still in the box shrimp kit up that I'm nowhere near ready to. I absolutely love the landscaping part of setting up. What don't you like about it?

Quote:
Just a thought but any local fish store should sell the stuff like .15 cents an inch or so. I'd cut you a section and mail it to you, but think a poster roll and shipping would be a lot more than the background is worth.

Quote:
I would love suggestions on mosses- this scpae will primarily be just that. Some crypt parva or short grassd in that section close to glass on hill. Some Rotala Bossi towards back, and a few larger crypts in between branches (I just bought a group of Green gecko crypts from member who just advertised them on here. )
The sand will stay open.
Microswords grow pretty lush in low tech for me. I have issues with Java moss growing around the bases so if you plan to have Java moss might not be ideal though. Some of those mosses on the Australian site look amazing. Really like the weeping moss and mini Taiwan and will probably be seeking those out.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #35 of 190 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
Loving this scape! It makes me want to set my newest still in the box shrimp kit up that I'm nowhere near ready to. I absolutely love the landscaping part of setting up. What don't you like about it?

Just a thought but any local fish store should sell the stuff like .15 cents an inch or so. I'd cut you a section and mail it to you, but think a poster roll and shipping would be a lot more than the background is worth.

Microswords grow pretty lush in low tech for me. I have issues with Java moss growing around the bases so if you plan to have Java moss might not be ideal though. Some of those mosses on the Australian site look amazing. Really like the weeping moss and mini Taiwan and will probably be seeking those out.
I dont know- scaping the tank causes me anxiety-- just dont like it. Feel so much pressure that it be spectacular.

Im liking the weeping moss the best. Ill have to look and see if anyone has it of our members.

post #36 of 190 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 09:57 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (494/100%)
Hit up your local hardware store, Lowe's, Home Depot, that sort of place. Look in the shelf liner section for darker/black adhesive liner. Cheap, comes in rolls, effective, easy to apply and easy to remove. Plus you can use it for other stuff.

The kind I have and have used for years is this faux leather-looking junk. Texture isn't visible on the adhesive side. The best $7-$8 I've spent on tank stuff.

As for moss... go with whatever you like. But I tend to always steer toward the types that are epiphytic and easy to control. There are some weeping mosses that don't easily attach and constantly have to be re-glued or tied. Christmas, Taiwan, Peacock, Java, they're all nice to work with. Other plants like Fissidens fontanus can be nice.

Quote:

The sand will stay open.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #37 of 190 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 10:04 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
I just bought (sent a PM for) 2 of the 3 portions of Callicostella Prabaktiana moss from the buy/sale section. Thoughts on that one, Jake? Still one left if you want it, Amy. Or if you want more than 1, I can back off or cancel my order so you can get it.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #38 of 190 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 10:11 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

I like it a lot. But I like pretty much every moss and moss-like plant available in the hobby. Looks especially nice around rock.

Taiwan would have a really nice texture if glued in a few different patches on the wood. Same for regular old Fissidens. Having several kinds of moss is always fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
I just bought (sent a PM for) 2 of the 3 portions of Callicostella Prabaktiana moss from the buy/sale section. Thoughts on that one, Jake? Still one left if you want it, Amy. Or if you want more than 1, I can back off or cancel my order so you can get it.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #39 of 190 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thank you @Blue Ridge Reef, you keep the moss your ordered! I wouldn't want you to cancel it.

I think Im going to order some of the weeping and some of the peacock. I put out a WTB for weeping moss- I found some one that had peacock moss. - so will see.

Ill go check out Lowe's to see if can find the adhesive liner. Good idea.

Excited that you found that ad for the weeping moss @Blue Ridge Reef- excellent! ( happy dance) Hopefully still available.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

post #40 of 190 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Okay- another frustration. I got the aquarium filled up with water and turned on the pump- does not work!
Ahhh- I cannot catch a break here!
I do not want to send it back now or go through the hassle of contacting for a replacement pump.

Does this pump look like the one I need?

https://www.amazon.com/Fluval-A14652...gateway&sr=8-3

post #41 of 190 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 12:59 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I purchased a 9 dollar pump on Amazon that was equal to strength of the fluval pump. I wouldn't bother with direct replacements, I would look for a cheaper alternative and also contact Amazon to let them know the pump was defective. Surely there is a cheaper option out there!
Discusluv likes this.

|
|
post #42 of 190 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 02:11 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

Fluval will send you a replacement. They're pretty quick about it. Definitely reach out to customer service.

I needed a replacement cover for an AC70 that *I* broke. They're sending me one for free.

Amazon will also likely give you enough credit back to allow you to purchase one. Chat with customer service. Contrary to what others are saying (sorry, gotta disagree), I'd try to get the pump Fluval uses since you're going shrimp-only. Unless you can get a pump that allows you to turn the flow way down, you may end up having way more than you need with shrimp.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #43 of 190 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 02:13 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

What Jake says makes sense. Ignore my earlier suggestion and have fluval or Amazon send you the stock pump, the ability to change the flow for shrimp will be extremely useful.

|
|
post #44 of 190 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 02:15 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

What you said wasn't bad advice at all. I just think adjustable flow is a necessity, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamo33 View Post
What Jake says makes sense. Ignore my earlier suggestion and have fluval or Amazon send you the stock pump, the ability to change the flow for shrimp will be extremely useful.
@Discusluv: There appear to be a few on Amazon that allow you to change the flow, so that's a good thing.

But definitely try chatting with Amazon first. They can get a replacement to you faster than Fluval.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #45 of 190 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 02:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
What you said wasn't bad advice at all. I just think adjustable flow is a necessity, unfortunately.

@Discusluv: There appear to be a few on Amazon that allow you to change the flow, so that's a good thing.

But definitely try chatting with Amazon first. They can get a replacement to you faster than Fluval.
I got one that adjusts to 83 gph as recommended on another forum because it can fit in the Spec 5. Is that okay-- or should I cancel that one and get one even lower? ? With this one get by Saturday.

I also contacted Amazon

Edit: Never mind, I canceled that one because the modifications I would need to make to it would make adjusting the flow rate impossible.

Last edited by Discusluv; 09-13-2019 at 02:54 AM. Reason: more info

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode