Fluvel Spec V Shrimp Build ( Now: not a III but a V) - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 140Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 190 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 03:00 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (494/100%)
The dimensions are a little... unique. But I have no doubt you'll be able to come up with something nice.

I think you'll enjoy it once you get it set up.
Discusluv likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 190 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Decorated a nice piece of spider-wood with plants already had in other tanks for the Spec V: Some Buce ( I think its called Rosemary), Java Fern "India" ( this is such a beautiful java; stays short, with broader leaves and a gorgeous light green. Looks great against the dark wood), Java fern "Narrow Kappas" fern ( one of my favorites), and used moss from my 30 gallon.

This is the "India" variety"

This is the "Narrow Kappas". You can also see the "India" at the right side of branch.

I think this tank I will use the "Rotala Bossi" and/or a short grass of some type on one side of branch in Controsoil; but, then, the other side just have an open area with decorative sand, some pebbles, leaves... ( textual elements- but, no plants) .
From my last 2 shrimp tanks Ive realized that lots of hiding places are a necessity with rock and wood; but, also need open areas so can actually see the shrimp.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

post #18 of 190 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Its here! I like the Spec V so much better than the III. And, also, I think that the Spec looks much more in proportion here than the Fluvel Flex. The Flex looked a bit too "heavy" for the bookcase.

Some observations:
I really liked the double outlet into aquarium that the Fluvel flex has, it allows you to put one output to the back substrate level and the other to just under the water line facing forward to get circular movement. I wonder if they have that dual ( y) outlet for this one as well- but, just need to order extra.
No mat for base of aquarium like the Flex
The cords seem shorter? Please ignore the ugly look of my cords. Need to get an extension cord.

Love the dimensions-- long and low- perfect for shrimp/
Yeah! This is a big winner!

Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

post #19 of 190 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 02:40 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

You're right - definitely better suited for that bookshelf than the Flex.

In terms of flow, though, I've found that there's more than enough. I slightly point the outflow toward the surface of the water to create a slight ripple and that provides flow for the entire tank. Also have the pumped on the lowest setting. Can't imagine what it would be like turned up.

How do you feel about the corners? I still strongly dislike them for some reason. Wish they came in black. But that's really my only complaint.

If you can come up with hardscape that utilizes the tank's height, I think you'll be in the same boat as me in thinking it's perfect for shrimp.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #20 of 190 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 03:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
You're right - definitely better suited for that bookshelf than the Flex.

In terms of flow, though, I've found that there's more than enough. I slightly point the outflow toward the surface of the water to create a slight ripple and that provides flow for the entire tank. Also have the pumped on the lowest setting. Can't imagine what it would be like turned up.

How do you feel about the corners? I still strongly dislike them for some reason. Wish they came in black. But that's really my only complaint.

If you can come up with hardscape that utilizes the tank's height, I think you'll be in the same boat as me in thinking it's perfect for shrimp.
Okay- here is the first pass- please be brutally honest. The corners do not bother me--- but, give it time.

I had glued plants onto the wood prior to positioning - not a good idea, I trashed them. Now the wood has glue all over it. I guess I could put some sort of emersed moss up on branch that will be out of water? Or do I need to try another piece of wood?

This is the worst part of putting a tank together for me- so much angst about it- I get so frustrated.

Like I said, first pass. Ill revisit tomorrow. Picture kinda dark

Bump: The light is a real cool blue isnt it?
@somewhatshocked-- is it impractical? I can be impractical sometimes.. if you hadn't noticed.

post #21 of 190 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 01:04 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

The blue light ends up being fine once you have a background on and water in the tank.

If it were me, I'd use a lot less substrate - maybe 1/3 of what you've got in there now. Having a substrate bed that deep with such a tiny tank is asking for trouble. You're also losing valuable water volume that will help with stable parameters. Consider turning the wood to face in the other direction so it moves with the flow of the tank. Will also make your open area easier to see if it's at the other end of the tank. Maybe have the wood just barely at the water's surface.
Discusluv likes this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #22 of 190 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 03:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I love it!
For practicalities sake however I agree that it would be far easier to essentially mirror that scape and slightly reduce the substrate level.
Very excited Amy! That is such an awesome start to this tank!
Discusluv likes this.

|
|
post #23 of 190 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 04:28 PM
Banned

I like it. sorta looks like a canyon. I would definitely have some java moss on the branches. It will really soften the hardscape. How much will it be filled up? Just the valley, or farther up?
Discusluv likes this.

75 gallon planted tank. About to stock.
10 gallon QT

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one” – Bruce Lee

75 gallon tank journal
post #24 of 190 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamo33 View Post
I love it!
For practicalities sake however I agree that it would be far easier to essentially mirror that scape and slightly reduce the substrate level.
Very excited Amy! That is such an awesome start to this tank!
Thank you ! I could feel that the design was impractical when doing it- but, kept right on adding more substrate.
Going to change direction of wood. I dont know why I didn't do that the first time around-- just didn't occur to me at the time like it is so obvious now.

The way I envisioned this design before doing it was that all these branches would, eventually, be covered in moss, There would be a steep decline ( made with rock) that would lead to an open area where I could view the shrimp. But, as you can see, this tank is too small to achieve this design and, at the same time, have it meet the practicalities of a shrimp tank.

Moss will be the main plant in this tank-- as I said. I want a type that is especially beautiful, unusual even. I would like it to be a type that hugs the branch, growing across the branch as opposed to up. But, of course, it needs to do well with a low-tech situation. Any suggestions for varieties could use?

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquanerd13 View Post
I like it. sorta looks like a canyon. I would definitely have some java moss on the branches. It will really soften the hardscape. How much will it be filled up? Just the valley, or farther up?
The design didn't work out well for the scale of the tank and, more importantly, for the goal that this tank is supposed to serve-- shrimp.

So will be working on it again today.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
The blue light ends up being fine once you have a background on and water in the tank.

If it were me, I'd use a lot less substrate - maybe 1/3 of what you've got in there now. Having a substrate bed that deep with such a tiny tank is asking for trouble. You're also losing valuable water volume that will help with stable parameters. Consider turning the wood to face in the other direction so it moves with the flow of the tank. Will also make your open area easier to see if it's at the other end of the tank. Maybe have the wood just barely at the water's surface.
Thanks for the advice.

I will use these tips to do the rescape.

post #25 of 190 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 07:40 PM
Banned

If you arranged the wood just right it would look like a kraken...
Discusluv likes this.

10 gallon QT

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one” – Bruce Lee

75 gallon tank journal
post #26 of 190 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Revision

This one turned out more how I envisioned it with the sand area to scale with the wood/rocky cliff area.

post #27 of 190 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 08:51 PM
Banned

That looks very nice.
Discusluv likes this.

10 gallon QT

75 gallon tank journal
post #28 of 190 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquanerd13 View Post
That looks very nice.
Not so much like a Kraken now-- LOL I took out that biggest piece of driftwood that i had in here. It was nthe one that had the branch that went outisde of water line. I think that brought everything into scale much more.

Took out a good deal of Controsoil.. now I have enough Controsoil for another shrimp tank-

post #29 of 190 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 08:55 PM
Banned

Yes, it looks very good Good call on the rescape.

10 gallon QT

75 gallon tank journal
post #30 of 190 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 09:01 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

100% nailed it. 10/10. Great scape.

Taking advantage of the tank's height, as you have done, is going to make your experience with shrimp a lot more enjoyable. It looks better, gives them more foraging space and allows for multiple observation points.

Given any thought to a background yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Revision

This one turned out more how I envisioned it with the sand area to scale with the wood/rocky cliff area.

Discusluv likes this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode