College Student's 56k 12/2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 122 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
College Student's 56k 12/2

Hello everyone I am back from break and school has started. My tank ran itself for 3 months with almost no problems. The first 2 months looked great and the third month aglae and neglect made the tank look poor. After the move to a new place everything was cut back. I have finally got it looking decent again and just got CO2 up and running(paintball).

Beginning of summer

2 months

3 months

After the move

8/29

9/14

10/23

12/2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tank: fluval spec v
Fish: Green Neon Tetra, Cherry Red Shrimp
Plants: Dwarf baby tears

Last edited by jhwku; 12-02-2011 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Update
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 122 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 04:25 PM
Wanabe BKK Herder

PTrader: (17/100%)
A Walstad/Dirt tank is cheap, and is great for plants. I have one 20-long that is all Aquasoil and I'm about to set up a 20-long Walstad as a comparison, doing everything in the new tank as cheaply as simply as possible.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 122 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thank you for the info. I will do some research into that. Seeing as its the weekend I will have some time to actually do something.

post #4 of 122 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 04:45 PM
Wanabe BKK Herder

I know goldfish and WCMs are cold water fish, but are danios and otos ok with the temps that that goldfish thrive at? I thought they were tropical?

post #5 of 122 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta Maniac View Post
I know goldfish and WCMs are cold water fish, but are danios and otos ok with the temps that that goldfish thrive at? I thought they were tropical?
The tank is a room temp tank thats around 70F right now due to the cold weather outside. The danios have held up since the tank cycled back in December. I have only had 1 die and it had scoliosis. The body was very deformed. I introduced the oto's about 2 weeks ago and seem to be doing very well. They are veryyy fat, constantly feeding on my sagetteria and amazon sword. Wish they would clean up the micro sword. My LFS told me that they were very hardy fish and as long as I didnt neglect the tank they would do well.

post #6 of 122 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 05:16 PM
Wanabe BKK Herder

Tank seems seriously overstocked and underfiltered (and that's with only the three goldfish). If your LFS is telling you your stocking is fine, they're misleading you.

post #7 of 122 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 05:27 PM
Algae Grower

planted is hard with goldfish ...they dig a lot best of luck
post #8 of 122 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta Maniac View Post
Tank seems seriously overstocked and underfiltered (and that's with only the three goldfish). If your LFS is telling you your stocking is fine, they're misleading you.
Agreed. You need at least a 40 for that many goldfish even without the others. Filtration should be a MINIMUM of double tank size (so for a 40 gallon you want 80 gallons worth of filtration). On my 55 I have 125 gallons worth of filtration and love it.

As for temperature, I keep my goldfish at 74 (F) at all times and they thrive at it. What most people don't seem to understand is they CAN live in coldwater, it doesn't mean they thrive in it. Most goldfish breeders and enthusiasts today agree that while long body goldfish do better in cooler water, any fancy goldfish with their poor squished digestive track need water temps in the 70(F) to 75(F) for proper digestion and better immunity.

So bump up that filtration and tank size if you can. Otherwise you might consider returning/rehoming one of the new fish.
post #9 of 122 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thank you for your concern. My LFS advised me that fancy goldfish require 10gal of space per fish thus why I only have 3 of them. They then told me that if I were to do a minimum of 1 water change per week (5gal) and monitored everything then I would be able to add the minnows and danios. So far I am having no issues other than my original redcap whose tail gets filled with blood everyother day then goes away.

V369

Thank you, yes I know they are crazy diggers. When I didnt have much light I had put anacharis in the tank and it didnt last through the weekend before they were all dug up. But it seems they are leaving the rest of the plants alone so far.

Update: I am currently changing out the gravel and substrate to what betta recomended will put up pictures when all set back up

post #10 of 122 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Well I just spent the better half of the last 3 hours completely changing out the aquarium. I am currently doing the Walstad Dirt method. Went and picked up some generic potting soil and some filter media sand white. The tank is still filtering out the miscellaneous particles of the sand that picked up when adding water despite being rinsed directly before putting into the tank.

Betta

I found that I can fit my extra filter into my hood and have added it to the tank. So there are now 2 filters going. Aquaclear 50 and an older Whisper model that is much bigger than the aquaclear filter.

post #11 of 122 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 12:42 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhwku View Post
My LFS advised me that fancy goldfish require 10gal of space per fish thus why I only have 3 of them.
Your LFS thinks that a fish that can grow upwards of 12" is fine in a 10gal tank? IMO this size tank would only suffice for ONE fancy goldie, and that's without tankmates and with big weekly water changes. Looks fine for now, but I hope you're planning on an upgrade to at least a 55gal tank in the near future...

For plant suggestions with goldies, I recommend you read through this thread: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...g-project.html

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #12 of 122 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 03:53 PM
Wanabe BKK Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhwku View Post
I found that I can fit my extra filter into my hood and have added it to the tank. So there are now 2 filters going. Aquaclear 50 and an older Whisper model that is much bigger than the aquaclear filter.
That should help out some, but I'm not sure your LFS is to be trusted when it comes to stocking advice.

post #13 of 122 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Well after a long day I finally finished changing out the gravel for more appealing white sand. I used the Walstad dirt method that Betta Maniac recommended. It has finally cleared out 99% and looks amazing here are some pictures of what it currently looks like.

FTS

This looks so much better than the blue gravel. I can actually see the true colors of everything in my tank without the blue.

The filter corner with the capruonii and sagettaria

The empty side with the remainders of the Amazon sword and microsword

Does anyone have any ideas of what hardy plants I can put here. I am thinking about another type of sword.

The addition of the second filter

post #14 of 122 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 05:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Great start!! Can't wait to see it when plants grown out. Especially like the capruonii. I have never seen that. Where did you get it. Sagittaria subulata would go with microsword. If the goldfish dig them up you will have to go with ferns.

I will be watching this tread. For I too have a 29 G low tech non Co2 tank. I am amazed you got the stand and tank for $40.

I think you are going to need some root tabs, seachem, until the plants adjust. Can get them here with no shipping cost.
post #15 of 122 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thank you. I'm sorry for misspelling it, the proper spelling is Capuronii its part of the Apongeton family. My LFS in Lawrence had them, they are bulbs.
Thank you for the suggestions. I just happened to go into the store to pick up some of the root tabs and they just received a new shipment of plants today Their selection for the past month has been terrible. They did not have any of the sagittaria but they did receive a lot of different swords. I picked up 2 different types of swords. Red Rubin and Uruguayensis. One supposedly grows lower while the other grows to be a large sword plant.

Here is a picture, the sword corner with my large red cap

Looking around this site I see soo many amazing tanks and cannot wait till I move back home to get my gf's dad's old tank.(supposedly its bigger than a 55gal but I dont know exacts)

Last edited by jhwku; 02-26-2011 at 06:31 PM. Reason: forgot to add text

Tags
college student fish tank

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode