75g Native Stream Tank w/DIY Foam Rock Wall and Faux Roots - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 79Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 68 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I wound up collecting more fish from a local stream about 40 minutes from my house for my FW stream tank this past weekend. This small stream has been one of my favorite smallmouth bass fishing spots over the years. It has a wide diversity of fish species, as much as any stream in the Western part of Maryland.

There are a couple species that I still want, but, for the most part, it's fully stocked now. I also found a beautiful red rock that I just had to put into the tank. I'm trying to find at least one rock to add to the tank from each fish collecting site. This tank is a Potomac River biotope tank, minus major predators.

The species below are currently in this tank:

Darters:
Rainbow Darter (Etheostoma caeruleum)
Fantail Darter (Etheostoma flabellare)
Greenside Darter (Etheostoma blennioides)

Minnows, Shiners and Dace:
Eastern Blacknosed Dace (Rhinichthys atratulus)
Spottail Shiner (Notropis hudsonius))
Silverjaw Minnow (Notropis buccatus)
Longnose Dace (Rhinichthys cataractae)
River Chub (Nocomis micropogon)

Here's a short video of the tank and the new critters:
Boostr, ChrisX and minorhero like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 68 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 05:47 PM
Algae Grower

Fantastic job! Super cool tank and following the construction of your custom-made habitat was fun.
Chasmodes likes this.
post #33 of 68 (permalink) Old 11-27-2019, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you so much andieg3!!!

Here's a video of the new fish in the tank, now that they're acclimated. They're all so bold, not afraid of me when I clean the tank. They even try to eat the hairs on my arm when I clean algae off of the glass. In this video, I feed them blackworms using a turkey baster. I fed the minnows and dace flakes first, so they wouldn't pig out on the worms. Some of the fish are starting to color up more as well. I had 24 minutes of video clips at first, so I had to trim off 14 minutes of it to keep it from being too long. It was tough cutting out some of the scenes for me. Heck, I stayed up way too late last night watching these fish as it was. I'm so addicted to this tank. I hope you enjoy this video as much as I did making it.

schooldazed and andieg3 like this.

post #34 of 68 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 12:38 PM
Algae Grower

All of the fish look so brave and healthy! I especially like the darters. I'd be addicted to watching that activity also, no doubt. Makes me want to set up my own little native stream tank!
Chasmodes likes this.
post #35 of 68 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you andieg3! I'm so addicted to watching this tank that I'm not getting enough sleep every night! So, I keep shooting videos and sharing them

Here's a video update from last night. The fish are a bit aggressive and excited, because I fed them a bunch of blackworms right before filming. They settled down quite a bit toward the end of the video. Also, I added a few new fish, some shiners and one more longnose dace. The new fish ate food less than one hour after I introduced them to the tank. Now, they seem to fit right in. I hope y'all like the video.

andieg3 likes this.
post #36 of 68 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 03:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

They probably don't realize they aren't in the wild! Nice job.
Chasmodes and andieg3 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #37 of 68 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you Chris!
post #38 of 68 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 01:03 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

This is an awesome tank. Takes me back to my days as a field biologist with the PA Fish and Boat Commission.
Chasmodes likes this.

post #39 of 68 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnseenHand View Post
This is an awesome tank. Takes me back to my days as a field biologist with the PA Fish and Boat Commission.
Thank you so much! I have no regrets about my career, but, that would have been a fascinating job! PA has a ton of diversity in their streams.
post #40 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Time for an update. I finally added plants to my US native stream tank, thereby making my tank build a legitimate thread for this site...albeit nothing along the nature of some of the incredible tank builds that I see on this site. So, from that standpoint, my tank pales in comparison to the tanks on this site as being "planted". More on the plants below.

As you might suspect with a new tank, I had an algae invasion, or outbreak, or whatever it's called. It wasn't unexpected, especially given the high bioload. About two weeks ago, I also cleaned the algae off of the wall, roots and rocks, in addition to a large water change that I'll mention again below. I also cleaned the canister filter, being careful as to not hurt the biological filtering ability of the system. As you can see, it's back.

To combat the algae, I'll be performing another large water change this weekend, complete with more physical removal of the algae. I also planted Vallisneria americana to try and out compete the algae for nutrients. I think that will help, assuming the plants take to the tank. The lighting is adequate (Fluval planted light), along with plenty of nutrients with the heavy bioload, which should help the plants grow and thrive.

I lost a few fish since I stocked the tank, mostly some of the smaller blunt nosed minnows, although one hung in there and is growing. All of the adult fish, except for one black nosed dace, are doing fine. I had to battle ich, and that was the main reason for the fish deaths (4 total fish died). I treated them for three weeks with aquarium salt by raising the SG to 1.003. The ich seems gone and hasn't returned since I stopped treatment by making a 90% water change. The fish still scratch occasionally. I may try a treatment of Prazipro, thinking that they might have flukes that survived the salt treatment, or some sort of other unseen parasite. This leads me to a question...do fish still scratch at times when they are parasite free? Are they really ever parasite free?

Now for some pics followed by another video...

Full tank shot:

Left side, showing the faux roots and current sources (spray bar top left, and circulation pump located behind the roots):

Right side, showing the newly planted Vallisneria americana:

And, finally, a video showing everything and showcasing the fish:
Boostr and andieg3 like this.
post #41 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 01:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasmodes View Post
Time for an update. I finally added plants to my US native stream tank, thereby making my tank build a legitimate thread for this site...albeit nothing along the nature of some of the incredible tank builds that I see on this site. So, from that standpoint, my tank pales in comparison to the tanks on this site as being "planted". More on the plants below.

As you might suspect with a new tank, I had an algae invasion, or outbreak, or whatever it's called. It wasn't unexpected, especially given the high bioload. About two weeks ago, I also cleaned the algae off of the wall, roots and rocks, in addition to a large water change that I'll mention again below. I also cleaned the canister filter, being careful as to not hurt the biological filtering ability of the system. As you can see, it's back.

To combat the algae, I'll be performing another large water change this weekend, complete with more physical removal of the algae. I also planted Vallisneria americana to try and out compete the algae for nutrients. I think that will help, assuming the plants take to the tank. The lighting is adequate (Fluval planted light), along with plenty of nutrients with the heavy bioload, which should help the plants grow and thrive.

I lost a few fish since I stocked the tank, mostly some of the smaller blunt nosed minnows, although one hung in there and is growing. All of the adult fish, except for one black nosed dace, are doing fine. I had to battle ich, and that was the main reason for the fish deaths (4 total fish died). I treated them for three weeks with aquarium salt by raising the SG to 1.003. The ich seems gone and hasn't returned since I stopped treatment by making a 90% water change. The fish still scratch occasionally. I may try a treatment of Prazipro, thinking that they might have flukes that survived the salt treatment, or some sort of other unseen parasite. This leads me to a question...do fish still scratch at times when they are parasite free? Are they really ever parasite free?

Now for some pics followed by another video...

Full tank shot:

Left side, showing the faux roots and current sources (spray bar top left, and circulation pump located behind the roots):

Right side, showing the newly planted Vallisneria americana:

And, finally, a video showing everything and showcasing the fish:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05Cp7BVXBBk&t=3s
Itching fish is called "flashing". It can be a territorial display but if you see it a lot its probably something thats not good. You should try medications like ich-x and/or api general cure.
Chasmodes likes this.

post #42 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you minorhero!
post #43 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 03:41 PM
Algae Grower

Happy to see another update! Such an inspiration, I'm seriously considering doing something similar with my 55g when my goldfish grow out to pond size.

Also, I love the site below for all things aquarium. There is so much info provided it's been a true (fish) life saver. I've literally spent HOURS on this site - I knew nothing about aquariums when we inherited a 55g with livestock when we bought our house.

American Aquarium Products (AAP) | Aquatic & Pond Supplies
Aquarium Ich Disease | Ichthyophthirius Multifilis & Cryptocaryon
Aquarium Medications Part 3 | Parasite & Chemical treatments - this has parasite information

Again, great job!!!
Chasmodes likes this.
post #44 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you so much andief3! Also, thank you for the links. I will definitely check them out.
post #45 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-02-2020, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well, it's almost a month since my last update. I purchased a few more Vallisneria plants and, for now, have them in the foreground. I will probably move them as they grow. I have a few pics and a video to share. I really love watching this tank, the movement, the fish...I go down to feed them and intend to watch for 15 minutes, and wind up staying an hour or more.

Full Tank Shot:

Left Side:

Right Side:

My latest video. I hope y'all like it.
Jontym and andieg3 like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode