------NEW SCAPE Fat Guy's BIG ROCK Iwagumi 60P------ - The Planted Tank Forum
 57Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Thumbs up ------NEW SCAPE Fat Guy's BIG ROCK Iwagumi 60P------

Here is a current tank shot as of 7/3/2020. Stay safe everyone.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

NEW!! Fat Guy is back!l 20g UNS 60P

Last seen here when I was living in NYC five years ago. Reestablished in LA now. Different water out here that's for sure. Introducing my children to planted aquariums. I picked up a UNS 60p 20g from Bobs Tropical fish in East LA. Amazing store. This is an amazing size Aquarium. It's 2 inches deeper than the ADA 60p which that store carries as well. And the glass (to me) is just as clear. I also stumbled upon some great stones on my travels around LA and started arranging an Iwagumi scape.

The main rock is huge and works well in this aquarium because of its depth.

Just the beginning here. It's simple and the goal is low tech. Starting off with some Staurgoyne Repens and some Java Fern that I had from an old Fulval Edge. Two Amano shrimp, a nerite snail and one cpd from an old tank. Gonna stock it in a week. Any suggestions? I like Harlequin Rasboras but they seem like they may get a little big and throw off the scale of the rocks. Maybe 10-15 emerald eye tetras??

Im essentially using all of my old stuff from my Mini M and Edge Tank. Hence all the filters I have running. Using the established bacteria colonies to bypass cycling of the tank and some of the old water from the cycled tanks.

10% Water Changes every day for now.

Here are the stats:

Tank: 20g UNS 60p
Filter: Random- Eheim 2211, Aquaclear 20 HOB, Sponge Filter
CO2: 10lbs Pressurized
Substrate: Aquasoil
Flora: Staurgoyne Repens and Java Fern
Fauna: 1 CPD; 2 Amanos; 1 Nerite Snail
Lighting:
24 Beam Works LED w/dimmer (cheap yet amazing) for $38.

Will start dosing once the s. repens starts to establish itself.

Thanks for looking. Hello again to those who remember me on here and hello to those who have stumbled across this thread.

Catfish added outside of tank.

-el gordo

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
AQUATIC GAZETTE FEATURE

Last edited by Fat Guy; 07-04-2020 at 12:27 AM. Reason: more photos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Picked up a dimmer from Beamworks today that is compatible with my light. It works great for the price. I can control the intensity of both the white and blue LEDS and it also works as a timer.

I've got the setup down to:

12p-6p co2
1p-7p lighting 100% 6500K 10% blue
8p-12a blue moonlight

I don't mind the sponge filter in the corner for now. I'm just trying to get as much bacterial filtration going before I add either Harlequin Rasboras or Emerald Eye Tetras or Rummy Nose Tetras...not sure yet. Anybody out there have experience with these in their 20g planted setup?

Recently purchased dome Blyxa Japonica, bacopa colorata and aromatica mini from Maryland Guppy here on this forum.

Looking forward to adding on to the scape. The S. Repens is doing great.

Thanks for looking.

-el gordo

-

-
-
AQUATIC GAZETTE FEATURE

Last edited by Fat Guy; 09-03-2019 at 10:21 PM. Reason: adding pictures
post #3 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Arrow Pride Rock with Vids!!

Update for this week. I should probably just start my own blog, but I've been using Planted Tank to document my progress in the hobby and to share it with others.

Added 17 Cardinal Tetras and moved the CPD to my friend's tank. These fish are so beautiful together.

I purchased plants from a member on this forum and when they arrived they were in terrible shape. They were slimy and translucent.I floated them in my tank hoping that they would rebound and in one day I had green spot algae and hair algae on the plants that were sent.The old me would have hoped for the best and waited to see if they rebounded.But after many years in the hobby I knew these plants were melting and creating world of problems so I took them out and threw them away.It'll probably be the last time I buy plants on this forum.I'm sure that when they were clipped they were in good condition, but they were shipped in a box with no insulation and I think that's what caused them to go into shock.They were shipped cross country to the Southwest here and probably sat on a hot truck in transit for too long.[censored] So I pretty much paid for an algae bloom. Live and learn.

On the positive side I did have a chance to visit my favorite LFS here in LA and picked up some healthier plants.
Added:Bacopa Colorata; Cryptocoryne Crispatula; Cryptocoryne wendtii Kompakt; Brazillian Pennywort.

My Java Fern and S. Repens are doing great!
Also went to Home Depot and got some 1/2" tubing for my lily pipes so I could get the Eheim 2211 to sit on the floor. The tubing works great and fitted it on my CalAqua Lily Pipes from six yeas ago.
One of the best investments for this tank has been the dimmer from Beamworks. I'm running these LEDs at half the intensity and have the blue lights come on at night at 1/10th the intensity. It's nice to have control over the light intensity as the plants in this tank are very low maintenance.Want to get them growing slow and steady.The light is like a gas pedal, so I'm laying off of it to keep things in balance.

For anybody who is interested in this journal here are some vids.I pushed the rock on the left down a bit further into the substrate to balance out the layout more effectively.I can watch these fish for hours.

nighttime cardinal tetras!!

vraev and Bon MotMot like this.

-

-
-
AQUATIC GAZETTE FEATURE

post #4 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Fat Guy's Pride Rock Cardinal Paradise

Guess this journal is exclusive to me. Dear me, I’m in the process of dialing in my CO2. Have a skimmer on the way. Now that the cardinals have acclimated I’ve removed the sponge filter. Having a small hair algae issue that occurred when I put melting plants in my tank. Removed them after a day but they wreaked havoc on my water. Adjusting the CO2 and have been increasing gaseous exchange. KH 4.1 pH 7.8 out of tap. ph 6.8 after CO2. Dosing Thrive twice a week. LED light is at 6/10 the power. Plants pearling like mad. All the crypts are pearling too. Going to Airgas tomorrow to swap a new CO2 tank. I’ve had my 5lbs CO2 tanks since 2010. It’s been a while. Yikes! Also switched all my tubing to CO2 tubing. Installed a bubble counter and 2 check valves just to be safe. Running the atomizer in line on the Eheim outflow. The fluval 30 HOB with the extra media and sponges crammed in along with my Eheim canister filter are packing a mean punch for filtration. Looking forward to the skimmer tomorrow for optimum gaseous exchange. I love this tank’s’ dimensions. These cardinal tetras are insane. Dear me, welcome back to the hobby. A lot has changed and evolved for the good since 2003. Mas later. -el g
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	50578818-0608-4E53-AD0C-FBC24B0F732E_1568608850828.png
Views:	65
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	887053  

chicken.nublet likes this.

-

-
-
AQUATIC GAZETTE FEATURE

Last edited by Fat Guy; 09-20-2019 at 02:29 AM. Reason: pictures
post #5 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Dear Me,

Everything is going great. The only issue has been a slow battle with hair algae that appeared from my own negligence and stupidity. I've been dosing Thrive and spot treating the hair algae with hydrogen peroxide daily after a water change. Added another Amano Shrimp as well. Pushed up the CO2 and added a surface skimmer to the HOB Filter and it works great. Have great gaseous exchange happening in the water. Trimmed off some old leaves of the s. repens that had too much hair algae and removed a couple java ferns. Traded those ferns in at Total Fish & Pets in Alhambra for the Amano Shrimp. Awesome awesome local store near me. Raised the light an inch off the glass. Going to a plastic supply store in Burbank today to put together my own DIY of an acrylic bracket to raise the light another couple of inches from the surface. The Beamworks light is great but these lights sit too close to the surface and the spread of light is too intense on the rock in my tank. Just lifting it a few inches off of the surface has already made a world of difference. Tank is doing great though. Dear me, I'll post a pic of the lighting mod once I finish it. Very happy with the progress so far. Mas Later, el g.

tetras feeding to music

-

-
-
AQUATIC GAZETTE FEATURE

Last edited by Fat Guy; 09-19-2019 at 02:57 PM. Reason: added video
post #6 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 07:36 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)
Hey Fat Guy! Add another viewer to your journal!. I love the scape. That stone is dramatic and perfectly sized for the tank. Will be following along as this develops and you do battle with the algae invaders!

[
post #7 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 08:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Fat Guy did you contact the member that sold you the plants ? Seems everyone on here is honest in their dealings , at least give them a chance to make it right .

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .
post #8 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by billb View Post
Hey Fat Guy! Add another viewer to your journal!. I love the scape. That stone is dramatic and perfectly sized for the tank. Will be following along as this develops and you do battle with the algae invaders!
Hey Thanks!! I love how the stone and the scape work together. Feel like I'm getting a hold of the algae. Haven't noticed any new hair algae as of now. Been spot treating and upping the co2 and it seems to be working. (knock on wood). Thanks again!

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeatl View Post
Fat Guy did you contact the member that sold you the plants ? Seems everyone on here is honest in their dealings , at least give them a chance to make it right .
I sure did. In the end after a couple back and forths with the seller, I accepted the loss and moved on with no resolution. I just threw the plants away and ate the $25. I've been on this forum for a long long while. These things happen. My new LFS here sells the same plants for half the price. Lesson learned.

-

-
-
AQUATIC GAZETTE FEATURE

post #9 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

New Acrylic DIY LED Brackets

Dear Me,

I went to Plastic Depot in Burbank yesterday and had some acrylic rectangles cut at 3/8". I then glued them together and made custom risers for my BeamWorks LED light to raise the light higher from the water's surface. I feel like these LEDs are great and even though I have a dimmer for the light I still find it to be too intense and not evenly distributed. So I raised it about 5" total off of the water which opens the tank up more and disperses the light better. Super happy with the outcome. It's not the sleekest DIY however, it wasn't that expensive to modify considering how cheap this light was. I spent about $30 on materials (almost the price of the light to do this) but am satisfied with the outcome.

The cut materials:

Lining them up, gluing them and setting them. Acrylic glue is no joke.

Installed on the tank:

If I could do the DIY again it would be to practice getting the air bubbles out of the acrylic pieces when they are sandwiched together. I was short on time but the pieces all trued up and support the light extremely well. I thought about putting shelving brackets in first and then having the light rest over the tank. But I think the outcome of this looks cleaner and I didn't have to put any holes in the wall.

Thanks for looking.

Mas Later, -el g
mourip likes this.

-

-
-
AQUATIC GAZETTE FEATURE

post #10 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 06:13 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hey Fat Guy! Just stumbled upon this thread..love your tank/scape! I'm very intrigued by your DIY light brackets, too. I have tons of acrylic sheet lying around, and the acrylic cement, too, and have always wanted to make my own light risers. I haven't had a chance to figure out just how to custom make them for my lights and tanks...all of my tanks have the plastic rims at the top, which always complicates fitting anything to them! Any tips on making custom risers? Anyway, just wanted to tell you that your scape is really eye-catching!

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty. Winston Churchill
post #11 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeme View Post
Hey Fat Guy! Just stumbled upon this thread..love your tank/scape! I'm very intrigued by your DIY light brackets, too. I have tons of acrylic sheet lying around, and the acrylic cement, too, and have always wanted to make my own light risers. I haven't had a chance to figure out just how to custom make them for my lights and tanks...all of my tanks have the plastic rims at the top, which always complicates fitting anything to them! Any tips on making custom risers? Anyway, just wanted to tell you that your scape is really eye-catching!
Hey Thanks!!

As for the brackets I spent a lot of time staring at the tank and trying different scenarios with wood before I settled on the design I came up with. Not sure about what to do with the plastic rim. You could do something similar maybe with 3/4" acrylic rods. I thought about using rods but settled on this design. There is a little space between the glass and riser on the inside of the aquarium. If they were too flush with the side, water would leak over the top and onto the floor, traveling up the riser. So whatever you decide on building make sure there is enough of a gap between the riser and the glass on the inside of the aquarium to prevent this from happening. Thanks again!! -Fat Guy

Bump:

Bump: Dear Me,

I've been missing my Amano Shrimp for the past two days. I cleaned out the hang on back filter today and when I pulled the media out guess what I found? The shrimp. They had climbed over the skimmer that I added and then went down the pipe and into the filter. Kind of amazed how they made it through. Have no clue really how they survived. I was thinking that my water params were messed up when they went missing. It was serendipitous that I found them today. I cut out a small foam circle and it now sits in the intake of the skimmer preventing any future shrimp exploration.

Took a vid of the side of the tank. This tank is 14" deep and 14" high so there is a lot of room to play with and for the fish to swim. The side view is just as interesting to me as the front view. Things are pearling like mad.

Mas Later, el g.
frogmanjared likes this.

-

-
-
AQUATIC GAZETTE FEATURE

post #12 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 11:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm jealous! Simple scape, makes the aquarium look huge. Is it smaller on the outside?

post #13 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 01:08 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (30/100%)
Subscribed to this thread

I have to say that rock as the center piece is beautiful, do you know what kind and where did you buy it from? This'll be my inspiration for my next tank
post #14 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogmanjared View Post
I'm jealous! Simple scape, makes the aquarium look huge. Is it smaller on the outside?
Hey Thanks!! I'm really liking this layout as well. It's a 20g tank that has equal depth and height so has a bigger footprint than the ada 60p. I think that really helps when arranging the rock and the plants and makes the setup feel bigger all together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H82LOS3 View Post
Subscribed to this thread

I have to say that rock as the center piece is beautiful, do you know what kind and where did you buy it from? This'll be my inspiration for my next tank
Hey thanks so much. I'm not sure what rock this is exactly. Looks a lot like ryuoh stone. I purchased it from a local nursery here in SoCal. The nursery has a special section where they sell super high end bonsai trees. I saw some of these rocks laying around and got really excited about adding them to my tank. There were some even bigger pieces that I debated about purchasing but went with this arraignment. There are actually little caves and tunnels in the main rock that the fish can swim through. It's also resting on its own so I didn't have to prop it up on any other pieces to create any extreme angles. Makes cleaning the rock a whole lot easier and if I bump it with my hand when I clean the glass it doesn't budge.

Thanks again!

Dear Me,

I'm contemplating adding an acrylic top to the tank. I have a feline friend that likes to jump up and drink from the tank at night. There have been three cardinals that have been spooked by the cat and went airborne.

Mas Later,

El G.

-

-
-
AQUATIC GAZETTE FEATURE

Last edited by Fat Guy; 09-26-2019 at 01:46 AM. Reason: weird format
post #15 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Dear Me,

Here's a quick snap of one of the cardinals. I've had a few jumpers in the beginning after my cat wanted to get a closer look but that has subsided. I've added a piece of foam to the intake of the skimmer to keep the shrimp from getting sucked in.

I've had some curled leaf growth from my bacopa. Extremely hard water out here where I live. Lots of calcium but little magnesium. So I added magnesium sulphate (about 3/4 tsp) to the tank and will see if that has any effect. I've noticed some darker veining on the s. repens and some lighter color between the veins. Tested the nitrates with the basic API kit. Have over 20ppm (or whatever shade of red that it is). At first I thought maybe a nutrient deficiency. I think in the beginning that my plants had a nutrient deficiency before ferts when it was just water changes. I think what I am looking at with the curved leaves is from that but am not sure. The Bacopa is shooting out other branches nicely now. Trying to dial in a good balance between the light, co2 and ferts. I'll test the nitrate count again tonight to see if there was a change. So far so good. running the light at a little more than half the intensity and the plants are pearling. Things are looking better. The aqua clear 20 on the back is a nice combo with the eheim classic. It does a nice job moving the water and allowing gaseous exchange.

Thanks for looking.

Mas Later,

Fat Guy

-

-
-
AQUATIC GAZETTE FEATURE

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode