------NEW SCAPE Fat Guy's BIG ROCK Iwagumi 60P------ - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 57Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 79 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 05:31 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I really like the 3.0 and it should work great with the risers. No idea about the other light as no experience with it. The control of the 3.0 is great imho

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 79 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
I really like the 3.0 and it should work great with the risers. No idea about the other light as no experience with it. The control of the 3.0 is great imho
Thanks Quint. The more i look into it I’m leaning towards the 3.0. I really like the control I’ve been reading about and think it’s gonna be a nice step up from the beamworks. Glad I made those risers!!

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
-
AQUATIC GAZETTE FEATURE

post #33 of 79 (permalink) Old 01-08-2020, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Debating now whether I should get the Fluval 3.0 for $127 or the Twinstar 600ea with dinner for $179. As mentioned before I could put the fluval on the risers but I think the twin star wins the beauty countest. Is it really work $50 more without an app?

Here’s the tank on my diy stand.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D36C7E40-EB6B-40FF-A34C-2D3289D20A62_1578528438843.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	891633  

doug105! likes this.

-

-
-
AQUATIC GAZETTE FEATURE

post #34 of 79 (permalink) Old 01-11-2020, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

If any of you have been following my journal, you know that I have been debating about an upgrade from my current beamworks 6500k light. That light has done a nice job helping me get back into the hobby. However I really wanted to find a light with a nice color spectrum that was programmable as well. I have been debating between the twinstar e vs the chihiros RGB vs the Fluval 3.0.

My main concern with the fluval was that it did not have any risers and was supposed to only sit on top of the tank. I am not a huge fan of this setup also and would expect to get a lot of water splashes from the carbon dioxide and oxygen bubbles degassing from the surface onto the light casing. But I bit the bullet and went for a DIY upgrade and built my ow acrylic risers. I also got a good price on the light from Kenís fish online and bought the light for $127.

I received the light today and boy oh boy is it really awesome. And it looks amazing in my opinion on top of the acrylic risers that I built. The controllable color spectrum and intensity for the LEDs on this with the app is really special. You kind of expect the rest of the LED market to go in this direction. The light is super responsive with the app. I only had one issue with it and that was when I tried to update the app and I lost Internet My connection and the light turned off and I couldnít get it to turn back on. However after a couple Google searches did I realize that you can upgrade the firmware on the light by erasing it and reinstalling it by swiping left on the light icon in the app without waiting for the light to respond. And it worked immediately.

To be honest I really canít get over the difference thatís this light makes on my 60 uns. It puts a big smile on my face and I donít feel like I broke the bank at all. Maybe Fluval will take a note and farther down the line will offer acrylic risers for their lights instead of only offering a hanging mount system. But raising this light above the water line has made all the difference and I have zero dark spots on my tank and an even distribution of light. Anybody on the fence I say go for it. The three-year warranty makes me smile. Iím also finally seeing my fish and plants in a whole new light (pun intended).

-Fat Guy

Loving the ramp up and ramp down feature.

-

-
-
AQUATIC GAZETTE FEATURE

Last edited by Fat Guy; 01-11-2020 at 06:22 PM. Reason: pictures
post #35 of 79 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Did a major trim. Battling late in tank diatoms that showed up after I added additional substrate (and didnt rinse it even though the bag said it wasn’t necessary. Lesson learned. Plus it would be good for these established plants to grow in thicker now.

Thanks for looking!

Mas later,

El g.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6E8C3CC8-F7F2-41BC-B409-F9EA64AD923D_1579113591176.jpeg
Views:	40
Size:	2.28 MB
ID:	891929  

-

-
-
AQUATIC GAZETTE FEATURE

post #36 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-18-2020, 05:11 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Dear Me,

Adding an update to my tank here. I donít think that the risers are a must, but I definitely prefer the look of the light on the tank with them as opposed to without. Not only do they help with the spread of light but they also make tank maintenance a lot easier. I only remove the light if I want to clean the risers themselves and just work around the light when I am doing water changes etc. For me I prefer them. These LEDs are more powerful than I think a lot of people in this hobby fully understand.

On a side note in regards to my planted tank journey- I run my light, when it ramps up at its peak, at only 30% for a few hours and then it ramps down. The easy control that this light offers has hands down made a positive impact on my plant growth in this tank and an extreme reduction in algae. I was experiencing a brown algae issue with this tank after adding additional substrate to the back right corner months ago. I went down the rabbit hole of trying to find a way to balance the tank and to rid myself of the algae that I was experiencing on a mature setup. Thereís so much misinformation out there...especially when there are people in the hobby that are encouraging others to increase the light in order to combat the brown algae. Or those that say that diatoms are not an algae and do not photosynthesize....which is wrong. I found the best information here:

Anyway, I realized that my lighting setup was the real reason for the algae issues. I had just way too much light on my tank, even though the photo period was for 6 hours. My plants were growing and so was the brown algae. With the addition of ferts and pressurized co2, my plants were also growing like they were on steroids. Even my kompakt crypts were huge. But having too much light was giving me sustained diatom issues after the additional substrate.

However, the Fluval light gave me the control over the tank that I really needed and since reducing my photoperiod and lighting intensity have I been able to reduce the brown algae in my tank by almost 95% with hopes of ridding it completely within the next couple of weeks. This is definitely a tangent, but controlling the light as well as being able to raise it from the water line with these DIY risers has made a world of difference for me. I also like how the ones I made compliment the setup aesthetically, which is important to me because I have my tank displayed in a main room in my house so the look of the light over the tank is important to me. My plants are growing extremely well, and while the growth has not been explosive, it has been steady, consistent, manageable and more natural looking IMHO and everything feels balanced where as before I was chasing the horizon line trying to figure it all out.

-Fat Guy
Streetwise and P.Isley like this.

-

-
-
AQUATIC GAZETTE FEATURE

post #37 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-18-2020, 11:47 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Nice update. I like your tank.

Style: Organic potting soil, gravel, sand, wood, plants, algae, biofilm, snails, shrimp, fish, dual siestas
Tech : Small tanks, Fluval Plant 3.0, Top Fin MF10, Eheim Classic 150, Neptune Systems Apex EL
Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|
post #38 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-18-2020, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetwise View Post
Nice update. I like your tank.
Hey thank you!

-

-
-
AQUATIC GAZETTE FEATURE

post #39 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-18-2020, 11:29 PM
Algae Grower

Very nice tank man!
post #40 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-19-2020, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasoncor View Post
Very nice tank man!
Hey thanks a lot!

-

-
-
AQUATIC GAZETTE FEATURE

post #41 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 05:41 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Dear Me,

Wanted to post an update of my current Fluval 3.0 settings. After waging war on a late brown algae bloom in my tank after adding additional substrate to a mature tank, I decided to take a closer look at the light intensity and duration of lighting on my tank. After making the necessary adjustments and doing maintenance with water changes to rid the diatoms from the setup, I am happy to state that my algae problems have become the least of my concerns....in fact...I donít have any real gripes with the setup anymore. I was over driving my plants with too much light before, and now, after some major lighting adjustments, I am back on track. My maintenance schedule is once a week water changes and trimming...Monthly filter maintenance...quarterly inline diffuser maintenance...and thatís it.

Iím dosing EI successfully and have the CO2 dialed in and am just enjoying the tank. I did have some orange shrimp deaths...sad to say...as my cardinals were the culprits...but the tank is happy and so am I with its progress. Iíve added Rotala Bonsai in place of the walichi and am just waiting for it to settle in and root. I do have some MTS which I love that will occasionally uproot a new sprig from the substrate, but I enjoy them in the aquarium.

For those that are following my thread, thanks for watching...Hereís a pic of my current 3.0 settings that Iíve been running for the past two months....this tank is 14Ē high and my light sits roughly 3Ē over the top of the aquarium on the LED Acrylic Risers that I built.

Mask Later,

El g

ipkiss likes this.

-

-
-
AQUATIC GAZETTE FEATURE

post #42 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-23-2020, 12:45 PM
Planted Member

Good to hear you won the battle against the evil algaes. Is the Fluval app user friendly? I'm thinking of getting their nano lights which shares the app.

Last edited by Hujeta; 02-23-2020 at 09:08 PM. Reason: typo
post #43 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-23-2020, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujeta View Post
Good to hear you win the battle against the evil algaes. Is the Fluval app user friendly? I'm thinking of getting their nano lights which shares the app.
I find the Fluval app to be extremely user friendly. Sure there's always room for improvement but I'm extremely content with it.

-

-
-
AQUATIC GAZETTE FEATURE

post #44 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-23-2020, 09:09 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Guy View Post
I find the Fluval app to be extremely user friendly. Sure there's always room for improvement but I'm extremely content with it.
That's reassuring to hear, sometimes apps develop for a smaller audience can be a bit...iffy.

24G long & shallow dragonrock Iwagumi

[Old] Long & shallow 24G: a
inspired by nature
post #45 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 11:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Once you get the hang of it the app is pretty easy. I need to make some nice risers like you have, currently using two pieces of scrap 2x4. It raises my light about 2" which gives it much better spread on my 40B.

OTOs love diatoms by the way ......

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode