• 3 Post By Streetwise
  • 2 Post By Streetwise
  • 1 Post By Streetwise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 04:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nano Cube

I just started a new tank, 12" on each side, almost 7.5 gallons max.

Substrate: 2.5" soil, 1.5" sand, and a little bit of gravel.

Filters: 2 x Top Fin MF-10

Light: Fluval Planted Nano 3.0, 2 siestas

Plants: Crypts and grasses, plus some moss and floaters from my other tanks.

I'm thinking about a few different options:

1. Move my loach to this tank and get a pea puffer

2. Try guppies or other live-bearers

3. More shrimp and friends

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Jason

Last edited by Streetwise; 10-09-2019 at 01:54 AM. Reason: Details
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 02:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Day 3

I added a few more plants and now I'm just waiting for the cycle. Yes, I like really deep soil substrate. Roots deserve the best.

I'm still not sure what I will do for livestock. I need to figure out where my loach should live, because he or she is not really shrimp-friendly, and would probably snack on any fry. I'm thinking of moving my loach to the new tank and adding a pea puffer, and let it be the home for my carnivores, since my bigger tank should be a shrimp and fry paradise.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	783715DA-D2AD-4D79-9C25-44A47731F9D4_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	265.7 KB
ID:	886569  

Econde and rakali like this.

Last edited by Streetwise; 09-04-2019 at 02:31 AM. Reason: Details
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 05:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Photo Update:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	EFD5A52C-F226-4811-8265-AF5C23818056_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	212.4 KB
ID:	887277  

Discusluv, Bon MotMot and rakali like this.

My style: Organic soil, sand, gravel, Top Fin MF10, Tunze Comline Nanofilter 3161, Apex EL, Fluval Planted 3.0, two-siesta lighting schedule, and minimal maintenance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 11:32 AM
Algae Grower

Nice setup! If you haven't done pea puffers before just know they are a bit demanding when it comes to feeding in my experience. Mine didn't care for fish food. It was all live foods. I used black worms, scuds, and snails. Watching them eat snails is amazing/horrifying. If you are willing to feed them a steady supply of snails you'll have happy puffers.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 04:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I had a saltwater puffer for a few years. Very cool, like a working dog. I could pet him, hand-feed him brine shrimp, and even have him water-blast shrimp from my fingers above the water. It sounds like the pea puffers are major carnivores of anything that fits.

My style: Organic soil, sand, gravel, Top Fin MF10, Tunze Comline Nanofilter 3161, Apex EL, Fluval Planted 3.0, two-siesta lighting schedule, and minimal maintenance.

|
|
|
|
|
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 01:58 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (488/100%)
They're cute... and are absolutely murderous little goblins compared to marine varieties. They leave a trail of death like nobody's business.

But they're great to keep in a species-only tank. Especially if you have the time to dedicate to them and think of them as critters you need to pay more attention to than, say, shrimp or Endlers.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I removed a bunch of soil to drop it to 1.5 inches, with a small sand cap, and a shake of gravel. It was a total pain, but worth it. Total depth is probably 2.5" to 2.8" now.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	E623D136-6FCE-4938-A9E1-2B8351D9FD88_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	221.9 KB
ID:	887761  

Econde and Discusluv like this.

|
|
|
|
|

Last edited by Streetwise; 10-09-2019 at 02:00 AM. Reason: Details
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I moved about six shrimp from my pico tanks to the cube. Once I get all the shrimp out of the picos, I will remove half the pico substrate, and replant.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	E67DA88F-BAF5-4650-AFB4-09A3C78C0158_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	194.3 KB
ID:	887885  

|
|
|
|
|
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 03:23 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (488/100%)
What particular brand of sand are you using? I really like it.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Believe it or not, it is just the simple Top Fin black sand.

Cheers
Econde likes this.

|
|
|
|
|
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 07:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetwise View Post
Believe it or not, it is just the simple Top Fin black sand.

Cheers
I'm currently using that in my 3 gallon. Its nice and coarse!

20g Long -Retired
10g Betta tank -Retired
1.1 Gallon Vase -Retired
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I like it. I still tend to add at least a dusting of gravel, just so the sand doesn't move from any water flow. It is amazing how little gravel does the trick.

|
|
|
|
|
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I added a video to another thread if you want to see how the sand and gravel settle in flow.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...l#post11262921

|
|
|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode