30g Frag Rip - The Planted Tank Forum
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 03:46 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)
30g Frag Rip

Hey! This is the makings of a new to me tank. I was able to pick up a used 30g frag tank from a local saltwater guy. He claimed its a starfire glass tank, it has its scratches but im psyched about the dimensions and the rimlessness! It has the foot print of a 40B so it fit perfectly on my stand. It came with a 29 high sump but none of the plumbing.

Goals for this tank are:
-Riparium
-Low tech & as hands off as i can manage
-Visually appealing/ piece of art
- Natural

This is a journal to document and ask for help. Id love to have opinions and others insight as well!

So far im thinking dirt tank, all of my other tanks are dirt except one. I have been doing them for years now.
Capped with pool filter sand and other substrates and rocks of varying sizes and textures.
Wood! i have been collecting wood and found a shop in Youngstown OH that had an awesome amount of mopani that was exactly what i was looking for for this tank. Im a huge fan of mopani. The textures on them are crazy, they hardly degrade and they SINK!

Plants, i have never been a big fan of stem plants. Crypts are where its at. Anything rooted really.
I recently bought some vesuvius sword. Im loving the textures on them. I have crypt wentii green or what i think is green over growing my oldest tank that i will pull from and i have an onion plant, a sad crinum plant, mystery plant probably sword plant and a few sad sad crypt pontederiifolias growing in my extremely neglected dirted 40B. Plus a few anubias nana petite hanging around. We will see how these all come together...

Pictures to follow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 03:49 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thatís the tank. Iím pretty happy about it as I have never and anything like it.

Wood. This is have I have come up with so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
burr740, evil8 and mourip like this.

post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 04:02 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Things im going to need help with is the plumbing. Anyone have any good sites on where i can get the parts and pieces i need to get the filtration started? im a newb with this stuff. The sump came with an installed jax sump kit. One panel came un-siliconed. Im thinking i want to remove all the panels and just do a sump like Joey, king of DIY with the tower drawer organizers. I want something uber simple and uber simple to clean and manipulate the media.

The lighting. I want suspended lighting for this baby. Something simple and good looking. I dont want to hang it from the ceiling though. Im thinking some kind of metal piping that i can bend and attach to the back of my stand with zipties or whatever. I have a finnex planted plus 24/7 already but i have my doubts it strong enough for underwater plants once suspended. So lighting options are welcome as well!

Thanks!

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Iím looking into trying to repair the scratches on the glass. Does anyone know anything about polishing star fire glass?

I also started looking at what Iím going to need to make my hanging light setup. Metal electrical conduit looks to be the right stuff.

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-24-2020, 04:10 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Since Iím having a little bit more down time now that society is now on hold Iíve been working on this tank again. I decided not to try to fix the scratches. I worked on the hanging light brackets and have them finished I believe.

Iím also really liking this wood placement, thinking Iíll use smooth river stones of various sizes. There a lot going on with the wood so I wanted to not make it too busy with a fancy rock.

For plants Iím leaning towards some crypt parva for a carpetish plant and def anubias nana petite on the wood. I havenít figured the rest out yet but Iím open for suggestions.

burr740 and evil8 like this.

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-10-2020, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Substrate is in, Iím planning on letting it soak for a little before filling to help waterlog all the organics.

The order goes
-mgocps (Iíve had this soil for years and had more than enough for the tank) not sifted so it still contains all the wood and other chunkier organics
-a tiny bit or worm castings
- a sprinkle of a high cec substrate Iíve had on hand for a while
- pool filter sand
- Haydite

Now I just need to finalize what my hardscape will look like.

burr740 and evil8 like this.

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-10-2020, 10:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
Nice, excited that you are getting the tank set up

the hanging lights look good!
I agree, I wouldn't bother with the scratches on the glass. They'll be slightly visible when it is filled up but shouldn't be too bad.

what are you thinking about stocking/plants?
xjasminex likes this.

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-10-2020, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

30g Frag Rip

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyruler90 View Post
Nice, excited that you are getting the tank set up

the hanging lights look good!
I agree, I wouldn't bother with the scratches on the glass. They'll be slightly visible when it is filled up but shouldn't be too bad.

what are you thinking about stocking/plants?

I really want to stock this with gold ring danios. They are just stunning. I also want some variety of easy to keep shrimp, maybe yellow neos? For plants Iím thinking crypts. Balansae, lucens, wendtii and parva are among the ones on the top of the list. I was trying to find another fish to place in this tank with the gold rings that are from the same general area. Suggestions are welcome!

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 04:44 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I have rethought my initial plan for my riparium planters. I no longer think that I want to use the hang in the tank breeder boxes that I have used in the past. I have suction cup rip planters that I purchased from riparium supply years ago and have used in the past. This time however I purchased industrial strength coated magnets that I plan on glueing to the planters and then Iíll be able to strategically place them in the right spot for the water line. Iíll spray paint the planters black so they hopefully disappear into the black background. Iíve also been looking into some plants that Iíd like to try for the rip portion. I already have a Boston fern that id like to attempt in the overflow to help hid that. Not sure how Iím going to plant it, maybe in one of my small rip planters with a wick for moisture? If it doesnít work out Iíll try other varieties. I also want calathea lancifolia, probably a spathiphyllum petite, and maybe a syngonium. Iím also thinking of trying some ficus pumila quercifolia on the wood thats going to be above the water line.

I also purchased a few species of tillandsias from Wegmans. I donít have the specific names right now but I can later. Iím planning on placing them on wood in the mix of the tank too.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Iím kinda going for forest type vibe. So we will see where that gets me!

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-01-2020, 04:29 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Hereís the plant list that I have on the way...
3 pots of crypt mioya
3 pots of crypt hudoroi
3 pots of crypt Sri lanka
5 pots of crypt parva
5 pots of crypt balansae

I still need to finalize the scape with the wood though. Something that I plan on doing soon!

post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-01-2020, 05:18 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjasminex View Post
Hereís the plant list that I have on the way...
3 pots of crypt mioya
3 pots of crypt hudoroi
3 pots of crypt Sri lanka
5 pots of crypt parva
5 pots of crypt balansae

I still need to finalize the scape with the wood though. Something that I plan on doing soon!
Cool. I'm setting up a 40B so I'm following to see what your scape looks like.
xjasminex likes this.

The real fountain of youth is being a musician
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-02-2020, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

30g Frag Rip

Iím loving the water changes on this setup! So seamless so far!

Riparium planters are cleaned, I used 400 grit sandpaper to rough them up a bit and then rinsed them and cleaned them with rubbing alcohol. Magnets are glued to the inside. Once they dry they are ready for paint.

Iím honestly getting giddy for this tank. Iím super happy with the set up so far. Canít wait to figure out the hardscape.

burr740 and doug105! like this.

post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-07-2020, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Riparium planters are painted and in the tank.

They donít seem to be easily noticed even with out the wood.

I pulled the plants out and set them aside and put the wood in and did a huge water change to be able to actually see into the tank.

Hereís a picture of the plants back in the tank. Not planted yet but Iím excited. The contrast of the dark wood and black background against the green plants is gorgeous.

burr740, doug105! and Karley like this.

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-07-2020, 09:05 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
This is looking great! I love your planters idea. Looking forward to seeing this come together.
xjasminex likes this.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-15-2020, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Finally got the plants planted and the rip plants that I have so far in the planters. Iím planning on purchasing more c. balansae and parva and possibly more mioya. Hopefully they all take!

burr740, doug105!, evil8 and 2 others like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode