Art's 29 gallon build - Ode to Rosie - The Planted Tank Forum
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Art's 29 gallon build - Ode to Rosie

Hi all,

I'm a long-time enthusiast but I've rarely done tank journals. Given the purpose of my latest build, I figured it might help someone if I documented this one. I will also be needing advice and counsel, so it should work well.

Purpose and Name

This is not a display tank. It's a bit of a Frankenstein setup intended to test out some concepts and study the growth of certain plant species. I also wanted to keep the costs involved down and purchase only equipment that those new to the hobby would likely be purchasing because of easy availability.

I'm also after simplicity and ease of maintenance. By this I don't mean low-tech. I mean relatively easy to maintain balancing technology with keeping things simple.

Lastly, the name is an homage to my wife who has patiently put up with my obsession passion for so many years.

Tank Specs

The tank is an Aqueon 29 gallon purchased from Petco (yes, I know, don't hate me) on the $1 per gallon sale. The light is an Amazon purchased T5HO with 4x24 watt bulbs (Giesemann). The sump is a 20 gallon long purchased from the same Petco. The stand is the metal stand for the 40 gallon breeder. I wanted to have room on one side of the aquarium to hold items.

Updated Full Tank Shot

Econde and aquanerd13 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

DIY Power Sand

So, one of the concepts that I'm testing is using a DIY Power Sand underlayer. This is topped with an inert substrate (Turface).

It's been my experience that a richer substrate will result in better plant growth over the long-term. Of course, this assumes you are not an aquascaper and planning on re-doing your scape often.

Disclaimer: You can have a wonderful, healthy planted aquarium without a rich substrate. My comments are simply based on my experiences and opinions. I don't mean to debate rich versus inert substrates as a means to success. You can be successful with both.

I have tried soil, ADA Power Sand, laterite, MTS, etc. The best success for me has been with ADA's Power Sand as I think it balances a richer substrate without the potential downsides of soil. MTS is good but too much work for me. Therefore, over the years I've been perfecting a DIY Power Sand with the objectives of:
  1. Providing a good environment for the ecosystem in the substrate
  2. Nutrient re-cycling
  3. Low mess
  4. Low staining of the water column
  5. Low risk of causing algae

This is my formula #7:

The tank started just fine without a hint of tannins staining the water column. The plants seem to have had a good start even with me messing up like a rookie with the water column ferts the first few weeks.

Day 1:

Week 3 close up:

Greggz, ipkiss, Econde and 3 others like this.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 02:41 PM
Planted Member

Nice to see your new tank Art.
MiamiArt likes this.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 05:08 AM
Algae Grower

This is looking great.
Nice first 3 weeks growth spurt and the full tank shot is very colourful.
For being a test tank, this looks wonderful.

So what is in substrate formula #7?
MiamiArt likes this.

Just in for information... and planning, a lot of planning
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janci View Post
This is looking great.
Nice first 3 weeks growth spurt and the full tank shot is very colourful.
For being a test tank, this looks wonderful.

So what is in substrate formula #7?
Thanks for the kind words, Janci. It's a mix of pumice, peat, earthworm castings, greensand, charcoal, rooting bacteria/hormones and tourmaline powder.
chicken.nublet and Janci like this.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Pre-storm and just before hitting week 4 on September 3rd. Brought down KH to 4 and R. wallichii seems to be coloring up and I see slight growth. R. macranda's growth has restarted and it's coloring up. M. mattogrosense seems to be only slightly better but not doing well.

Will be dropping KH to 1-2 today. Let's see what happens. Of course, Dorian may also be a variable to deal with...

Greggz, Desert Pupfish and Janci like this.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 09:23 PM
Algae Grower

Nice start,
What's your bulb combo? Seems like there is an ATI purple inside?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks! I purchased the ATI but it was DOA. I replaced with the Giesemann Super Purple. At the moment, I’m all Giesemann - Tropic x 1, Super Flora x 2 and the Super Purple.
Greggz and AgMa like this.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Decided to use the spreadsheet going around now. Let's see how this goes. I think the variable is whether my doser is actually delivering 20 ml per day.
Greggz and Econde like this.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So I figured I would give an update on what I'm dealing with in the hopes that someone learns from my experiences.

I added Rosy Barbs to this tank as my wife's name is Rosie. I didn't go back to check if they are known to be plant eaters. Well, you guessed it, they are not only plant eaters, they are plant destroyers, especially stems. Mistake #1.

I then left them in the tank too long. I would pick out a few stems every night that had been cut down by the barbs. A stem or two, what's the big deal. A couple of stems became four then four became eight and then entire bunches of stems were floating when I got home at night.

I resolved to remove the barbs from the aquarium which proved to be no easy feat. Those fish are fast. However, in the end, they found their way back to the LFS but the damage to the plants was done. Growth was definitely stunted and decaying matter that hadn't made it up to float was decaying at the substrate level. Dissolved organic carbon was going up in the water column. Not good. Mistake #2.

I was too busy to spend the time to vacuum the substrate during a couple of water changes. Although I changed 70%+ of the water, if you don't clean up what is causing the DOC, you only postponed the inevitable by dilution. Mistake #3.

A trip to the northeast to take my daughter up to school added to the issues. I have a Nest thermostat that does a wonderful job at trying to save me money. When it senses we are away from the house, it keeps the air in the house at 80F. This meant that the tank water would creep up into the mid 80F during the day when the lights were on. Not good. What happens when temps go up? Oxygen goes down. Not good.

Now my Apex controller alerted me to the increased temperatures. It worked. However, as I was only going to be a few days, and there were no fish in the aquarium, I figured it would be OK. Why cool the house when no one was home? Save a little money! And, so, the tank, already in an injured state because of the beating the plants took and the increasing DOC, sat for 3-4 days in 82-84F temps. Mistake #4.

When I got back home, the temps returned down to the normal low 70s. However, I saw what I should have known would be there, cyanobacteria in spots. You may know it as blue-green algae (BGA). You see, I know BGA is a risk in a new aquarium where a) the plants are not growing well, b) DOC is high, and c) oxygen is low. I've been here before. I didn't panic.

I quickly took evasive measures by correcting all of the issues. Quick water change with vacuum, increased ferts to get the plants going again, increase circulation with a pump and add granulated activated charcoal to soak up the DOC that remains in the tank. This is my standard protocol that I've used for many years to deal with BGA. And, typically, because I act before it has had a chance to "settle in", it works. I let it go for 2 weeks. Mistake #5.

Unfortunately, this time, I was too late. It had taken a solid hold and my evasive measures spurred it to grow even more.

Now, as I have been through this many times, I'm not panicked. More frustrated with myself, really. I know exactly why I have a bad case of BGA/Cyano. There is no mystery. It's more of a lesson for me - you are never too old or experienced to not make the same newbie mistakes. You need to pay attention and be proactive with a planted aquarium. This is especially true with the high-energy tanks full of delicate stem plants.

Well, I hope the above helps someone. I'm on day 4 of an erythromycin treatment. It's my preferred method. I remove the biological blocks I use in the sump to preserve the nitrifying bacteria. So far, the tank still looks pretty ugly but at least the plants are growing wild. No trimming during this time. Nothing that can impede plant growth.

It'll be a month before things look good again. A lot of work and frustration. I regret not just doing the simple things that would have avoided this.

Planted aquariums teaching the importance of diligence and of the little things...
Greggz, ipkiss and Janci like this.

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 09:10 AM
Algae Grower

That is not so good news.
But a good reminder for us to keep up with maintenance and not waiting for that other day...
MiamiArt likes this.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 01:15 PM
Planted Member

Every day an aquarium will teach something if you can focus and understand what it is saying.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 05:39 AM
Algae Grower

Hi, how is the tank going?

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 12:12 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiArt View Post
DIY Power Sand

So, one of the concepts that I'm testing is using a DIY Power Sand underlayer. This is topped with an inert substrate (Turface).

It's been my experience that a richer substrate will result in better plant growth over the long-term. Of course, this assumes you are not an aquascaper and planning on re-doing your scape often.

I have tried soil, ADA Power Sand, laterite, MTS, etc. The best success for me has been with ADA's Power Sand as I think it balances a richer substrate without the potential downsides of soil. MTS is good but too much work for me. Therefore, over the years I've been perfecting a DIY Power Sand with the objectives of:
  1. Providing a good environment for the ecosystem in the substrate
  2. Nutrient re-cycling
  3. Low mess
  4. Low staining of the water column
  5. Low risk of causing algae

This is my formula #7:

The tank started just fine without a hint of tannins staining the water column. The plants seem to have had a good start even with me messing up like a rookie with the water column ferts the first few weeks.
Apologies if I missed it, but what was your DIY PowerSand recipe? I saw the pics, but no captions describing what the ingredients were?

Enquiring minds......
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 01:11 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiArt View Post
Thanks for the kind words, Janci. It's a mix of pumice, peat, earthworm castings, greensand, charcoal, rooting bacteria/hormones and tourmaline powder.
Post #5 gave us the ingredients, but I too would like to hear more about it. Being called recipe #7 leads me to think it's evolved quite a bit!

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode