Well I'm back. After moving into our new house, getting a dog and just living life in general, I started up again. I let my other tanks go before we moved, I just could not keep up with trying to get things setup in our new place and maintaining the hobby.
It started earlier this year, we had visited my brother. He has the most amazing goldfish tanks. Something hit me inside. I was starting to get the aquarium feeling again...
Trying to decide what was best for my current self and what amount of work I was willing to do. I did not want to go high tech. Didn't want to go very low tech either. Somewhere in between. Walstad Method was what I ended up choosing.
I looked into used aquariums first. I told myself that I do not want to spend a small fortune on this. Every other day I'd check to see if anyone had anything for sale. For the longest, I've been wanting a rimless tank, a 22 gallon long to be exact. I finally found something interesting online. Someone was selling sheets of glass. What struck me the most was the dimensions, 12" x 36" x .25~".
Googled everything there was to know about building/assembling an aquarium.
I didn't like how the seams came out, so I scraped and cleaned them off and reapplied the silicone.
Bought a Fluval 3.0
Quick mock up.
Googled how to build a fish tank stand.
Went nuts with the Kreg Jig...
I got the plans from another forum.
This is the stand semi finished. With doors!
Then came time to find organic potting soil.. I tell you. Miracle gro organic potting mix is a myth. I couldn't find it anywhere. Took me 2 weeks to find something suitable. Bought something from Home Depot, labeled as organic garden soil. It was nothing but twigs and smelled so bad. Finally found Miracle gro Raised Garden Bed soil. The bag states its 100% organic. Once I started sifting though, it was a different story. I wish I had taken pictures. There were glass shards, magnetic pieces and plastic bits.
I used a dollar store Oil Splatter guard to sift.
Took about a week to sift through. Mind you I did an hour here and an hour there whenever I had some time.
Got some privacy film for the back of the tank.
Installs fairly easily. Can be removed easily as well.
Bought an eggcrate diffuser from lows and cut it down to size. Also put the dirt in.
By this time, the I had already stained and sealed the stand. Sorry no pictures of that.
Plumbed in the canister filter. Inflow/Outflow.
Played around with the scape.
Ended up like this.
Left side seemed bare. Found some more Ohko stones in my garage.
Plants arrived finally.
I'm not good at plant placement.
Here's how it looks filled with floaters.
Here's an overall shot.