(DIY)22 Gallon Long - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 52Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatfishTanker View Post
Thanks Econde. I have learned so much hanging around this forum. I hope I'm not wearing out my welcome asking so many questions! I will definitely look up fishless cycling. It's what I plan on doing.

Also, I just noticed how you started with a gallon vase and worked your way up! Again, I'm inspired. I can't wait to get started. Getting closer!
Nope not at all. Feel free to post questions, ask around pretty much anything you'd like. Most everyone is accommodating as long as we're all respectful of one another.

Also I actually started with the 20 gallon long, 10 gallon then the 1.1 gallon vase! Funny how I went backwards. All of those are gone now, except the vase. I still have 2 in my garage that I haven't played with yet. I do have a 3 gallon I'm playing around with.

And I couldn't help myself. I bought more glass from the same person in my town. I'm thinking of building a 12" cube.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspin02 View Post
looking good @Econde - whatever the issue was with the photos it has been resolved.
@Edward was actually taking the time to help check for me while I reuploaded everything into Imgur. From here on out, I'll definitely be using imgur.
Edward likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 02:36 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
Ooooh. Definitely do a 12-inch cube!

And maybe use whatever leftover glass you've got to make a small, shallow tank to use for plant extras or as a "pond" setup.
Econde likes this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #33 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Ooooh. Definitely do a 12-inch cube!

And maybe use whatever leftover glass you've got to make a small, shallow tank to use for plant extras or as a "pond" setup.
MAAAN I know right. I wish time/money were'nt. If I had the space, I'd definitely do like a frag style tank. Could you imagine 36 x 36 x 12...The other one I was thinking of was another 22 Long but 3-way split. So essentially have 3 cubes in one. Each scaped differently.

Anyway It will be a long while before I even get started on any glass breaking/cutting. Currently just enjoying my 2 tanks right now. It took me months before I even started on this 22 Long.

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank

Last edited by Econde; 10-15-2019 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Deleted double post.

post #34 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 07:54 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
Regardless of time, I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Hopefully it's sooner rather than later.

And about small tanks... I was thinking more like 8 x 8 x 3 or 4 - something tiny. But larger frag-like tanks are also great. I've loved my shallow ADA tanks.
Econde likes this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #35 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Update

Haven't updated in a while. Nothing much has changed other than regular maintenance and some new growth. One of my female cherries is berried though! Not the greatest pic.

And I found some time to redo my 3 gallon into my newly built 7.5 gal cube.
Desert Pupfish likes this.

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank
post #36 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So stupid question, should I hold off on water changes til the eggs hatch? Or can I still stick to minimal water changes, like 10%?

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank
post #37 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Update 12/16/2019

Just wanted to post some updates. Been busy with life and all. Finally had asked a buddy of mine if they could print me out some risers for my Fluval 3.0 .
He did not disappoint!

Here's how it looks.

Outside shot

Inside shot

And overall how it looks. I am very pleased with the outcome.

So I took out my 2 endlers and put them into my 7.5 cube. The shrimp appear to be more active!

3 berried females.

And a few weeks later!

Babies.

And here's some pics of Luna(Shepherd Husky) and Victor (Pug). Sorry for my floors, we vacuum and vacuum and it's never enough!

Here's Luna's angry face(don't worry shes a big wussy, she never hurts Victor) Just trying to show him who's boss.

Victor is the newest addition to our family. He's only 4 1/2 months old.
Greggz, Desert Pupfish and Karley like this.

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank

Last edited by Econde; 12-16-2019 at 06:18 PM. Reason: clarification
post #38 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-25-2020, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Updates

It's been a little while since I've updated. Lots of (bad)things going on in the world. Lost a lot of interest but gained it back in the past 2 months. I admittedly let the tank get out of hand but am currently getting things back on track.

This was back in April.

This was the top during May.

Fast Forward to July 22

And the most current pic August 25.

No longer a walstad method. Built a Co2 regulator and decided to go 'high-tech'. Also the thread where someone was asking about MTS got me wanting a new tank.

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank
post #39 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-25-2020, 05:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Most current pic looks great!

Interested to hear your thoughts on adding CO2.

Well done.
Econde likes this.

---
---
post #40 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-25-2020, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Most current pic looks great!

Interested to hear your thoughts on adding CO2.

Well done.
It's honestly been great. I love seeing the plants take off. My monte carlo is getting 'thick'. Stark contrast from when I salvaged a small golf ball portion from letting things go. Separated them nearly one stem at a time to replant.

I still get some algae but I just manually remove them. Still dialing in my fertilizers and lighting. I've been able to give a bunch of my plants away to my coworker and his wife.
Greggz and Discusluv like this.

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank
post #41 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-25-2020, 05:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Your tank looks great-- such an improvement!
I know the feeling- haven't felt much like posting. I think a lot of us are feeling "bad news fatigue" from so many directions. I actually have a lot of things going on in my tanks, but not too keen on sharing.
Hoping the world gets back to some form of equilibrium soon. The good and bad in equal measure.
Econde likes this.

Amy
post #42 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-25-2020, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
I know the feeling- haven't felt much like posting. I think a lot of us are feeling "bad news fatigue" from so many directions. I actually have a lot of things going on in my tanks, but not too keen on sharing.
Hoping the world gets back to some form of equilibrium soon. The good and bad in equal measure.
I hope so too for everyone's sake. So many people are on edge over the smallest things nowadays.

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank
post #43 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-25-2020, 09:06 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:

Quoting you just cause I think you really hit the nail with the fatigue description. I started my tank back in late February, just when it started spreading here in Europe, all excited thinking it was well timed as the recommendation was to stay at home. Tank received so much attention first few months WFH. Sometime in May-June I lost all interest for the tank, and much like OP, just let it all go. Algae overrun. As the spread and restricitons started earlier here in Europe we started seeing the shift earlier as well, and by late July when some restrictions started easing up my spark reignited and I redid my tank and found the forum to be almost completely abandoned. Sorry for off-topic, just wanted to share that the feeling of despair is fleeting and hopefully soon, before you know it, you reach the realization that things will eventually pass.

OP, tank hasn't looked as good as it does in the last picture. The investment of CO2 equipment really seems to have paid off in terms of plant vigour. A few years back I went through the hassle of trying some low-tech Walstad setups, as well as DIY CO2 with yeast, never really reached a level of adequate satisfaction. A few years later I re-entered the hobby, early this year, making the jump to full-on hightech, seeing how the plants grow and pearl and not feeling limited by the equipment has been really joyful. Hope you feel the same way.
Greggz and Econde like this.

24G long & shallow dragonrock Iwagumi

[Old] Long & shallow 24G: a
inspired by nature

Last edited by Hujeta; 08-25-2020 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Typo
post #44 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-25-2020, 10:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujeta View Post
Quoting you just cause I think you really hit the nail with the fatigue description. I started my tank back in late February, just when it started spreading here in Europe, all excited thinking it was well timed as the recommendation was to stay at home. Tank received so much attention first few months WFH. Sometime in May-June I lost all interest for the tank, and much like OP, just let it all go. Algae overrun. As the spread and restricitons started earlier here in Europe we started seeing the shift earlier as well, and by late July when some restrictions started easing up my spark reignited and I redid my tank and found the forum to be almost completely abandoned. Sorry for off-topic, just wanted to share that the feeling of despair is fleeting and hopefully soon, before you know it, you reach the realization that things will eventually pass.

OP, thank hasn't looked as good as it does in the last picture. The investment of CO2 equipment really seems to have paid off in terms of plant vigour. A few years back went through the hassle of trying some low-tech Walstad setups, as well as DIY CO2 with yeast. After a few years break I re-entered the hobby early this year making the jump to full-on hightech, seeing how the plants grow and pearl and not feeling limited by the equipment has been really joyful. Hope you feel the same way.
Thanks for giving us a picture of what it looks like to reach the other side/get a reprieve at least. We are still suffering on many fronts in the states: Covid, fires, tornadoes, economic impact of loss of jobs/businesses. A lack of clear, cohesive messaging to get us through the difficulty- structurally and emotionally. I am in California. The fires burning all over the state have been devastating. I have asthma-- and haven't been outside but for quick moments for the last 10 days.

My tanks, breeding, fish, and even indoor gardening has kept me going. But, it has come so personally crucial to my keeping my equilibrium that Im not in the mood to share it as often as I normally do.

The long-term TPT regulars will be back and I see new people coming daily. The cycle will continue...
Econde likes this.

Amy
post #45 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-25-2020, 11:10 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Thanks for giving us a picture of what it looks like to reach the other side/get a reprieve at least. We are still suffering on many fronts in the states: Covid, fires, tornadoes, economic impact of loss of jobs/businesses. A lack of clear, cohesive messaging to get us through the difficulty- structurally and emotionally. I am in California. The fires burning all over the state have been devastating. I have asthma-- and haven't been outside but for quick moments for the last 10 days.

My tanks, breeding, fish, and even indoor gardening has kept me going. But, it has come so personally crucial to my keeping my equilibrium that Im not in the mood to share it as often as I normally do.

The long-term TPT regulars will be back and I see new people coming daily. The cycle will continue...

I'm empathising with the situation, and if my experience can spark some hope I'm happy to pass it on. Admittedly the natural disasters have exarcebated what's happening in the states, comparing the 44 countries of Europe there's still a lot of similari experiences. Gathering from the colleagues of my multinational employer, most people seem to share the feeling of uncertainty and lack of communication from their goverrnments. One nation could give complete opposite advise of one another, coupled with fear of long-term effect of the local and other european economies. Working from home is also new to a lot of people, including myself, and as we entered this paradigm I don't think anyone foresaw the possible psycological effects it could bring. Being separated from loved ones, or reversely being locked in with the family for an extended period sure takes a toll. As surreal as it's been, at times I felt this was the most epic social experiment of all time, a global 'Truman show' of sorts. Gotta try and keep some distance to it, humour helps me with that.

There's some strength to it though, we're all in the same boat and we'll emerse in a stronger form, one experience richer, showcasing our resolute in how businesses and people adapted and overcame. In a few years, looking back at 2020, we would have lived through what could be one of the most historical years of the century. Aquaristics is certainly one of the better hobbies to help us through this time, as long as we don't let it become a burden.

Sorry for thread jacking OP, hope it's OK.
Greggz, Econde and Discusluv like this.

24G long & shallow dragonrock Iwagumi

[Old] Long & shallow 24G: a
inspired by nature

Tags
diy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode