(DIY)22 Gallon Long - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 52Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Well I would like to share some updates. Cycle is complete. I only have bladder snails, trumpet snails and ramshorn snails. Here are some updated pictures. Again more slow, but steady, growth.

Before and After Pics

Now

Floaters are taking over the surface. I honestly don't mind it and have embraced it. literally polishes my water of excess nitrates.

Some pictures of my Blue Ramshorns.

kookyxogirl likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank

Last edited by Econde; 10-14-2019 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Pictures
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 04:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Finally got some fire reds.
kookyxogirl likes this.

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank

Last edited by Econde; 10-14-2019 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Pictures
post #18 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 11:15 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
for some reason, none of your photos are showing up for me, just a grey circle with a white bar in the middle.

Sounds like things are going really well though!

post #19 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspin02 View Post
for some reason, none of your photos are showing up for me, just a grey circle with a white bar in the middle.

Sounds like things are going really well though!
Hm I wonder why.Are you using Tapatalk? I usually just link the images through my Google photos.

I normally have problems with not seeing pictures that were posted via Tapatalk.

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank
post #20 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 11:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econde View Post
Walstad Method was what I ended up choosing.
Very nice setup,
but isn’t @Dianna Walstad method supposed to have 1” – 1 ½” soil capped with 1” – 1 ½” inert substrate?
Econde likes this.

post #21 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
Very nice setup,

but isn’t @Dianna Walstad method supposed to have 1” – 1 ½” soil capped with 1” – 1 ½” inert substrate?
Thank you. I used a little over an inch for the soil and another 1.5" of bdbs over it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank
post #22 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 12:46 AM
Wannabe Guru

I also can't see most of your pictures. None of the ones from October 2nd are visible. I am viewing from my computer and my phone. Both fail to show the pictures. You should try using imgur instead of google photos.
dspin02 and Econde like this.
post #23 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
I also can't see most of your pictures. None of the ones from October 2nd are visible. I am viewing from my computer and my phone. Both fail to show the pictures. You should try using imgur instead of google photos.
So weird, I'll check up on it tomorrow when in front of a computer. Thanks for letting me know.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank
post #24 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Wanted to share some pictures of my Endlers.

They dont seem to bother anything thankfully. I have a male and female pair that I traded in some plants for at my LFS.

There's my male Endler.

And here's one of the babies. I acclimated the pair into my tank. Walked away for an hour or so. When I got back, I noticed there were 2-3 fry swimming around.

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank

Last edited by Econde; 10-14-2019 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Pictures
post #25 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 01:00 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Looks like you were able to fit everything from the RAOK in nicely! You even found a little home for the scrap of xmas moss. It's neat to see how the Erios go from being a small foreground plant in my 75 to a big background plant in your tank. I'll be subbing to see how everything fills in!
Econde likes this.

post #26 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringHalo View Post
Looks like you were able to fit everything from the RAOK in nicely! You even found a little home for the scrap of xmas moss. It's neat to see how the Erios go from being a small foreground plant in my 75 to a big background plant in your tank. I'll be subbing to see how everything fills in!
Yes! Thank you so much again. I was scared that it wouldn't transition properly. But again the soil is proving me wrong. I split the Erios into a few, I just kind of laid them out in the background. Not really sure how to make a decent arrangement. Just filling in spots that were bare. The S. Repens are filling out in the front nicely. I had but a few to begin with and used the ones you sent me to fill in the gaps with extras to spare.

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank
post #27 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 01:17 AM
Algae Grower

Inspiring! I'm just starting with my Walstad tank. Used 55 gallon for 20 bucks. I didn't build it from scratch like you, but I did re-seal it!
Couple questions if I may:
What is bdbs? you said you used that to cap your soil.
Why did you use the plastic grid on the bottom?
Why were you adding ammonia? Is it because you had no fish yet and the plants and bacteria need it as nutrients?

My plan is similar to yours. I will likely turn the light intensity down. Too much could be why you had some algae? Not sure. Maybe you did have the light intensity down. I don't want to assume. Also, the way I understand it, it is best to start out by planting heavily to start, so the plants out-compete the algae for the nutrients. Please keep sharing your experience. I am learning from it.

Wayne
post #28 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

This is BDBS. Its essentially sand made from coal slag.

I used the plastic grid to support the bottom of the tank a bit and to protect it from the rocks I'm using.

Ammonia is for fishless cycling. Look it up, it's one of the best ways to cycle your fish tank. And yes I had no fish that would have added ammonia for the bacteria to grow.

And yes I think I had way to much nitrates during the fishless cycle. I'm assuming that's why I had hair algae.

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank
post #29 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 03:41 AM
Algae Grower

Thanks Econde. I have learned so much hanging around this forum. I hope I'm not wearing out my welcome asking so many questions! I will definitely look up fishless cycling. It's what I plan on doing.

Also, I just noticed how you started with a gallon vase and worked your way up! Again, I'm inspired. I can't wait to get started. Getting closer!
post #30 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 11:57 AM
Algae Grower

looking good @Econde - whatever the issue was with the photos it has been resolved.

Tags
diy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode