Jamo's Spec V - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-29-2019, 12:11 AM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamo33 View Post
How long until I can say that these shrimp have survived the transition?
That's the $100 (plus shipping) question. The fact that they didn't die right away is obviously a good sign. When I've gotten new batches shipped in it's safe to say that any that live past the first month or 6 weeks generally grow up to maturity and make more shrimp. But it's certainly not like any that you lose, you tend to lose in the first day or two. In fact, it's just as often a week or ten days later that I find any bodies. But my own shrimp move to other tanks using my own water way better than stuff I get shipped in. I net Neo culls and directly take them to the tank they are going in and plop them right in and they never seem to die. In my experience it's a piece of cake to move established shrimp from one tank to another, as long as you're using the same water, substrate and hardscape materials.

It's a tough experiment to draw anything from with certainty. Shrimp can die presumably from stress and changes of parameters when moved into perfectly healthy tanks with thriving shrimp already in them. But I'd be more wary if you had bought shrimp than using your own stock. That being the case, if they are thriving in there next week I'd think it's safe to say you've got yourself a shrimp tank.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-29-2019, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
Quote:
How long until I can say that these shrimp have survived the transition?
That's the $100 (plus shipping) question. The fact that they didn't die right away is obviously a good sign. When I've gotten new batches shipped in it's safe to say that any that live past the first month or 6 weeks generally grow up to maturity and make more shrimp. But it's certainly not like any that you lose, you tend to lose in the first day or two. In fact, it's just as often a week or ten days later that I find any bodies. But my own shrimp move to other tanks using my own water way better than stuff I get shipped in. I net Neo culls and directly take them to the tank they are going in and plop them right in and they never seem to die. In my experience it's a piece of cake to move established shrimp from one tank to another, as long as you're using the same water, substrate and hardscape materials.

It's a tough experiment to draw anything from with certainty. Shrimp can die presumably from stress and changes of parameters when moved into perfectly healthy tanks with thriving shrimp already in them. But I'd be more wary if you had bought shrimp than using your own stock. That being the case, if they are thriving in there next week I'd think it's safe to say you've got yourself a shrimp tank.
Well I suppose I shall wait for that 10 day mark for my first victory. Then the month mark shall be my success. Further success would of course be breeding. But as my colony continues to produce blue jellies I will transfer them to this tank.

I have figure out my water change schedules and system finally. I am now confident that I will not have any ridiculous errors as I previously have. So that should rule out stress from water change. I suppose the true test here is whether the tank is cycled and my chemical mediation can be stopped. I dont want to have to use prime or stability all the time.
That being said, I will test the water today to check ammonia levels and determine what is necessary.

Agreed, I have moved neos between my tanks without acclimation, just dump them in. They are the same parameters after all.
Thanks mate! Fingers crossed here

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #33 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

First death found.
No ammonia or nitrite present.
Either stress from the transition or this is the outcome of something more sinister.
So if the 4, 1 dead, 2 alive and 1 unknown (suspected dead).
Hopefully these two can live, but I have low expectations now. If the tank is poisoned I suppose that's it with it, cant be bothered mucking around anymore. Woo.

|
|

post #34 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

All shrimp died.
Annoyed and a little pissed off, I have basically ignored the existence of this tank for the past week.
That being said, it is still sitting there with plants growing so I am doing on last thing.
Under the assumption that is is somehow poisoned and the assume culprit being the silicon I used, I am going to remove all silicon and attempt to revert the tank back to stock.
I will use vinegar to really clean everything down, then probably a bleach wash. My hope is this will get rid of whatever nasty has plagued this tank.
Similar treatment will be used on the sponge and media as well (maybe just buy a new sponge). Perhaps not the best idea, but if it can get me to ground zero, I am happy.
Following a thorough rinse, I will attempt for the last time to get this tank up and running. This time, black lava rock again, simple scape and low maintenance. I need to get my priorities straight when I start a tank and stick to the goal. This time, to have a healthy tank that can house some shrimp...though not for long if I move soon. Regardless.

Don't know when this will get done, but hopefully soon.
Discusluv likes this.

|
|
post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 05:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
All shrimp died.
Annoyed and a little pissed off, I have basically ignored the existence of this tank for the past week.
That being said, it is still sitting there with plants growing so I am doing on last thing.
Under the assumption that is is somehow poisoned and the assume culprit being the silicon I used, I am going to remove all silicon and attempt to revert the tank back to stock.
I will use vinegar to really clean everything down, then probably a bleach wash. My hope is this will get rid of whatever nasty has plagued this tank.
Similar treatment will be used on the sponge and media as well (maybe just buy a new sponge). Perhaps not the best idea, but if it can get me to ground zero, I am happy.
Following a thorough rinse, I will attempt for the last time to get this tank up and running. This time, black lava rock again, simple scape and low maintenance. I need to get my priorities straight when I start a tank and stick to the goal. This time, to have a healthy tank that can house some shrimp...though not for long if I move soon. Regardless.

Don't know when this will get done, but hopefully soon.
Sounds like a plan to me. You will get through this.

To let you know we all experience frustrations I woke up today with an ich outbreak in my 180 because I didn't properly treat plants I picked up at a LFS before adding to aquarium. I thought, I have a UV sterilizer on there it will be good. NO!

I havent seen Ich in my tanks in over a decade. I wasnt sure I was seeing what I was seeing.

The hobby keeps us humble. But it also brings gifts. I anticipate gifts to come for you.

post #36 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-11-2019, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Sounds like a plan to me. You will get through this.

To let you know we all experience frustrations I woke up today with an ich outbreak in my 180 because I didn't properly treat plants I picked up at a LFS before adding to aquarium. I thought, I have a UV sterilizer on there it will be good. NO!

I havent seen Ich in my tanks in over a decade. I wasnt sure I was seeing what I was seeing.

The hobby keeps us humble. But it also brings gifts. I anticipate gifts to come for you.
Thank you Amy,
You are honestly a strong force on this forum in giving information and keeping people's spirits high about their tanks and fish. For me personally, you and @somewhatshocked have probably kept me in the hobby at the moment.

Sorry to hear about your Ich outbreak, I have only had it once and my fish were troopers and very forgiving as I simply raised tank temp and eventually all was better.

Ill get this done when time allows, hopefully soon seeing as holiday period is here. Much simpler design and idea this time round, just want it to work really.
Discusluv likes this.

|
|
post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-11-2019, 04:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Let me know if I can send you some shrimp-- for cost of shipping.
Us shrimp keepers need to stick together and support one another .
I have wild neos, c. babaulti, and a few Bloody Mary's I can send your way.

Rememeber-- gifts.
Jamo33 likes this.

post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-11-2019, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Let me know if I can send you some shrimp-- for cost of shipping.
Us shrimp keepers need to stick together and support one another .
I have wild neos, c. babaulti, and a few Bloody Mary's I can send your way.

Rememeber-- gifts.
Thanks Amy,

I will let you know when things get back up and running...and I can confirm that it is actually safe!
Discusluv likes this.

|
|
post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-11-2019, 04:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Thanks Amy,

I will let you know when things get back up and running...and I can confirm that it is actually safe!
Sounds good, my friend.
Jamo33 likes this.

post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 08:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

How are you doing, my friend?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode