Jamo's Spec V - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 02:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
I dont have alot of fancy plants, but if you ever want some Java fern I can send you some - I have the standard leaf, narrow leaf and India atm

Yes, you can make that sand color work just fine, just needs to transition a bit more- rubble and moss will do it. It already looks amazing.

You're too kind!!! I may have to take you up on that soon!

It is a constant process, I may never be happy with any of my tanks truly...but constant working and reworking until I can say "yeah, that looks good" is actually the most fun in owning tanks for myself. After adding the moss into this tank, I saw new life in it and could see the possibility of the next stage and future of the tank. So I will persist!!!
Discusluv and Streetwise like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 10:23 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (497/100%)
How's the tank going?

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
How's the tank going?
Jake....are you sure you want to know? Really?

Let me say this, I've seen 600lb people cycle faster than this.

In all honesty, I need to water change multiple times and readdress the cycle situation.
I've added some MC around the base, no/little growth as yet so not looking lovely and still need to order more plants. I'd love to say I've got a really busy life and that's holding me up....but it's not true, I'm just a lazy fool.

|
|

post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 02:49 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

Pbbbt. That's just life with tanks! We all have those ups and downs.

I keep screwing around with my 25cm cube that's fully grown in and pretty much ready for shrimp. It's on its third cycle/mini cycle because I've tried several different things to combat kH issues. (Now on crushed coral and it's doing the trick. Maybe. MAYBE VICTORY!)

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Pbbbt. That's just life with tanks! We all have those ups and downs.

I keep screwing around with my 25cm cube that's fully grown in and pretty much ready for shrimp. It's on its third cycle/mini cycle because I've tried several different things to combat kH issues. (Now on crushed coral and it's doing the trick. Maybe. MAYBE VICTORY!)
Yep... it's getting tiresome my friend.

Well perhaps we will both be nearly finished soon. Water changes being completed and trying to check if this will finally complete the cycle. Who knows?

|
|
post #21 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-27-2019, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Tank seems to be finally settling down and getting close to fully cycled. I trimmed some plants and rearranged, added crypt wendtii bronze. Very happy with how the tank is taking shape now, still want very dense plant growth behind rocks, but rather than spending cash I am just making do.

Updated photo
Discusluv and Desert Pupfish like this.

|
|
post #22 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 01:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Looking great-- have some nice plant growth coming, should fill in quickly.

And not a spec of algae- Im jealous. LOl!

post #23 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Looking great-- have some nice plant growth coming, should fill in quickly.

And not a spec of algae- Im jealous. LOl!
Thanks! Let's hope it grows in nicely and forms some dense growth. But I think some new plants are on the docket for sure!

No algae yet... but no solid growth either hahah

|
|
post #24 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 03:03 PM
Algae Grower

I like the look of the rock work. Can't wait to see what it looks like all grown in.
post #25 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well. I'm calling it.
There is something wrong with this tank. After 3 months of cycling, I am no closer to having it completed. Something must be wrong with the tank, though I am not sure what.
Though nitrates are registering and I am not adding fertilizers, the tank will not use up ammonia. No matter the amount of ammonium placed in the tank, the tests always register .50ppm.
I used 2ppm two days ago. .50ppm 24 hours later. 1ppm last night, .50ppm tonight.
I am honestly tired of it at this point and I am so sick of getting my hopes us that the cycle has completed and seeing green tests again.
I have tried adding media from cycled tanks, as well as kick starting with stability and safe start. Nothing.

So, I'm done. It will just sit and have plants. Pretty annoyed as this tank was meant to be simple and just house some shrimp to help my population, but now it's just a stupid lamp really.

|
|
post #26 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 11:09 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamo33 View Post
Well. I'm calling it.
There is something wrong with this tank. After 3 months of cycling, I am no closer to having it completed. Something must be wrong with the tank, though I am not sure what.
Though nitrates are registering and I am not adding fertilizers, the tank will not use up ammonia. No matter the amount of ammonium placed in the tank, the tests always register .50ppm.
I used 2ppm two days ago. .50ppm 24 hours later. 1ppm last night, .50ppm tonight.
I am honestly tired of it at this point and I am so sick of getting my hopes us that the cycle has completed and seeing green tests again.
I have tried adding media from cycled tanks, as well as kick starting with stability and safe start. Nothing.

So, I'm done. It will just sit and have plants. Pretty annoyed as this tank was meant to be simple and just house some shrimp to help my population, but now it's just a stupid lamp really.
You sure it isn't a faulty test kit? If you have extra shrimp I'd just throw one in there and see what happens.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
post #27 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 12:24 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

I'd do a 100% water change a couple times in a row. Then add a bit of ammonia - like 3-4 drops of ammonia from Ace or 3-4 drops of Dr. Tim's ammonium. Just enough to make things read about 0.5PPM. Then let it sit for a day and see what happens. I'm betting it'll get eaten up.

And if it doesn't get eaten up? Do another 100% water change, test for ammonia to make sure there's none, and add a couple shrimp to see what happens as @gjcarew suggests.

Or maybe get a few fish that could live in the tank for a month or so til you feel safe enough to add shrimp?

I have one tank (that I don't have a journal for) that's been going through the paces with Controsoil for 117 days. Almost there, finally. Meanwhile, all the tanks I set up with Amazonia are ready in 6-7 weeks.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #28 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 02:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

@gjcarew
Test kit should be fine. Every now and then (most recently about 2 weeks ago) I do a test of my established tanks to confirm I'm not getting false readings. I know they have no ammonia and the test shows that. So should be alright.
Yeah, I just dont want to put any shrimp through anything if I dont need to.
@somewhatshocked
Okay jake haha. I will do as you say and report back. I'm just getting tired of the constant fluctuations, and I expected a super fast cycle for this tank, what with addition already established media etc.

Water changes to come. Then addition of some ammonia up to around .5ppm. I'll see how that sits for a day and if all goes well I will most likely take a risk and (against my normal method) add some fish or shrimp to the tank.

Fingers crossed, if this doesnt work...I think I will make it a plant tank only and just muck around.

|
|
post #29 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 02:24 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Just from your posts, it seems like you have done your job to prep your tank.

Style: Organic potting soil, sand, gravel, wood, plants, moss, algae, biofilm, snails, shrimp, small fish, dual siestas
Tech : Small tanks, Fluval Plant 3.0 Nano, Top Fin MF10, Eheim Skim 350, Tunze 3161, Neptune Apex EL
Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|

Media:
|
post #30 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-28-2019, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Multiple water changes and addition of ammonia proved nothing to me. I am super confused by this tank, it's as if the bacteria work at 90%. Regardless of the amount of ammonia placed in the tank, 90% gets processed.
Anyway. I decided this is this tanks time to shine. Either this works or it doesn't, its fate is in the hands of the bacteria and my medication through chemicals I suppose. So, that being said.
4 blue jelly shrimp added, my blue dream colony spits these out every now and then, so this gives me a good way to separate them from the blue dream/velvet line. Thus far I have not found any dead. Confirmed 3 alive this morning, so I'll assume the 4th is alive and in hiding. I am happy thus far.

Now a question to clarify things.
How long until I can say that these shrimp have survived the transition? Obviously I cannot deem the tank completely safe until it is self sustaining, but I can confirm if the shrimp have transition at least.

|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode