Shrimp Vase Journal - The Planted Tank Forum
 93Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 100 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Shrimp Vase Journal

I want to do something like this that I saw on Instagram.
Isnt it cool??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 100 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I have this vase I could use.

I also have lots of dragon stone rubble. Possibly a piece of wood. But, I really like the look of a heavy Malaysian wood in here.

Is this vase good or should I keep looking?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 100 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 10:57 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
I'm sure it could be done. That small of a volume makes me nervous, but I see them all the time on Instagram and so forth. Might want to acid test your dragon stone too, all I've ever bought failed. That might matter more with less dilution. Look forward to seeing what you set up!
Discusluv likes this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.

post #4 of 100 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
I'm sure it could be done. That small of a volume makes me nervous, but I see them all the time on Instagram and so forth. Might want to acid test your dragon stone too, all I've ever bought failed. That might matter more with less dilution. Look forward to seeing what you set up!
Yes, I would need to be wary- especially being new to shrimp. I am thinking of just pulling any neo's from my wild-type tank I want to keep true to a particular color. Like reds, per sey. I think that may be interesting. No fancy shrimp until I have more experience under my belt.

I will still put a good filter in here- no skimping in that regard.

I also like this one from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/CYS-EXCEL-Hei...Z5T604E3ZQR851
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

post #5 of 100 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 11:16 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (497/100%)
Looks like you need to make a trip to IKEA!

This is the set I have - all 3 containers are really useful. But there are other options like this. That second link only really has one useful option with two tall bud vases.

The largest vase in the first link is plenty large enough for shrimp:

The medium one would be great for leftover plants or trimmings. The low/short one would also be perfect for one of those "pond" setups that are prominent on Instagram and Pinterest these days. I'll be using my low/short one for extra floaters when I have them:

Best part about keeping a vase is that they're low-maintenance if they're planted well. If heavily planted and really grown in? Filter won't even be necessary for just a few shrimp.
ScrubbyDick and Discusluv like this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #6 of 100 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 03:28 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I’ve got one of these on order, 16x10 $37 with shipping.

https://vasemarket.com/large-glass-c...ase-16x10-inch
Discusluv likes this.
post #7 of 100 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
I’ve got one of these on order, 16x10 $37 with shipping.

https://vasemarket.com/large-glass-c...ase-16x10-inch
Thats nice too.

post #8 of 100 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 05:05 AM
Algae Grower

Was thinking of putting one together also! I wonder how 'planted' these vases need to be for a few shrimp?

post #9 of 100 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I was reminded that I wanted to do a shrimp vase and this build by @germanblueramlover 's gorgeous design of one.

I have had this vase hanging out in the garage for a very long time--- do you think its worth using or should I get another one? If not so appropriate- just say, wont hurt my feelings-- Ill just go shopping. I added some wood pieces that I had to show you a couple looks. The darker wood is very angular and interesting-- its hornwood. And the other vase has a couple pieces of Malaysian wood and a small lava stone. More of a look that I have done many times before. Im kinda partial to the interest found in the other wood; but, I think a more angular-- maybe square/rectangular vase would look better with it. The Malaysian wood is more in line with the circular lines of this vase...
What do you think--- fire away

Hornwood

Malaysian Wood/Lava stone

Econde likes this.

post #10 of 100 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 09:25 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Very nice. If you ever go to the Dollar store or even Walmart, they have those 1 gallon vase. I think its about 6.1 width by 8" height cylindrical vase. Also, if you happen to have a Michael's nearby they have this.

Bump: Apparently Michael's also has a 12" bowl! Might just grab me one.
Discusluv likes this.

20g Long -Retired
10g Betta tank -Retired
1.1 Gallon Vase -Retired

Last edited by Econde; 09-20-2019 at 09:27 PM. Reason: More options.
post #11 of 100 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 10:25 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I do think I prefer the malaysian wood with this jar - as you said, the nice round shape carries through. But that hornwood is gorgeous, hope you can find a use for it, too!
post #12 of 100 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 12:37 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

I prefer the second option. If you decide to use the vase you have, that's the wood I would go with. Add a few stem plants and allow them to grow out of the water. Maybe even a single species. Won't take much effort or maintenance at all.

The first wood option? It would look great as a centerpiece in a small 20cm cube. Or on its side in a small, shallow tank or vase.
Discusluv likes this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #13 of 100 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Ahh-- I dont care for this vase-- been looking...

@somewhatshocked
To use the Hornwood lying down, I found a 14 x 14 x 5 inch square glass vase or a 16 X 5.5 inch cylinder.
Which would look better?
This is actually where I would put either the square or cylinder vase, on this glass table. Being that the table is a rectangle, maybe the square would look best?

Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

Last edited by Discusluv; 09-21-2019 at 04:01 AM. Reason: question
post #14 of 100 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 05:00 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

I'd make sure your table can support the added weight of several gallons of water before going that large. But maybe that's my glass paranoia creeping in.

There's no way I can pick between square and round. Both have pretty much equal pros and cons in my opinion. Both shapes will look nice with interesting driftwood like that.
Discusluv likes this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #15 of 100 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
I'd make sure your table can support the added weight of several gallons of water before going that large. But maybe that's my glass paranoia creeping in.

There's no way I can pick between square and round. Both have pretty much equal pros and cons in my opinion. Both shapes will look nice with interesting driftwood like that.
I ordered a cylinder- 12 x 12. That slab of glass is pretty thick, but maybe not thick enough.
I wonder how many gallons this is?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode