Shrimp Vase Journal - Page 5 - The Planted Tank Forum
 93Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 100 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 03:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
I would try to come up with some kind of solution that doesn't involve keeping them glued down. Maybe some kind of wire stuck into or glued to the wood to sit them in? Just a circle with a twisted point. That way they can be easily picked up and dunked for watering.
Okay, Ill try to think of something.

Maybe can drill holes in wood, wrap each tillandsia with wire at base and insert this wire in each hole?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 100 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 03:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
Visit a welding shop such as Robert's Oxygen or AirGas.
They sell tig welding rod in 316 stainless steel.
It is not coated with any flux etc.. shape it into a "holder" for tilly's.
Discusluv likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Growing is not that difficult.
post #63 of 100 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 03:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland Guppy View Post
Visit a welding shop such as Robert's Oxygen or AirGas.
They sell tig welding rod in 316 stainless steel.
It is not coated with any flux etc.. shape it into a "holder" for tilly's.
Thats a good idea!
Maryland Guppy likes this.

post #64 of 100 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 01:57 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (497/100%)
I use coated green floral wire. Coated part doesn't rust, won't harm your critters, comes in large packages at craft stores. You can use silicone on the ends so they don't rust.

I prefer the kind that's thicker and comes in lengths but you can buy a thinner variety of floral wire that comes in rolls.

You could probably just mold/wrap the wire around the driftwood in a manner that wouldn't damage the wood itself. Then attach the wire to that piece.
Discusluv likes this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #65 of 100 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I use coated green floral wire. Coated part doesn't rust, won't harm your critters, comes in large packages at craft stores. You can use silicone on the ends so they don't rust.

I prefer the kind that's thicker and comes in lengths but you can buy a thinner variety of floral wire that comes in rolls.

You could probably just mold/wrap the wire around the driftwood in a manner that wouldn't damage the wood itself. Then attach the wire to that piece.
Ill go by Michaels today, I should be able to find some wire there and try it out.

post #66 of 100 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 07:42 PM
Banned

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Tillandsias and bromeliad added. I was going to do a red bromeilad, but I saw this orange one and fell in love. <3

Front:

Side:

Top side:

I love your vase idea! It looks really nice! I have been wanting to do a Wabi Kusa for a while, but now I want to do this! I am torn between this idea and the one below:

I guess I just have to do both!
Discusluv likes this.

75 gallon planted tank. About to stock.
10 gallon QT

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one” – Bruce Lee

75 gallon tank journal

Last edited by aquanerd13; 10-04-2019 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Forgot stuff
post #67 of 100 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 08:07 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

The trick, @aquanerd13, is to create one that's a "gift" for your mom. Maybe you could get one of these or make one of your own. Add a few stem plants, put it in a cool vase and it'll probably be something nice enough that a parent would want to display it.
Discusluv and aquanerd13 like this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #68 of 100 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
The trick, @aquanerd13, is to create one that's a "gift" for your mom. Maybe you could get one of these or make one of your own. Add a few stem plants, put it in a cool vase and it'll probably be something nice enough that a parent would want to display it.
Oh--- thats a cool website. Down another rabbit hole...

post #69 of 100 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 11:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
I like it! Great idea!

Bump: I could potentially make it as a Christmas present from me and my brothers. I can make and they provide the funding.

75 gallon planted tank. About to stock.
10 gallon QT

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one” – Bruce Lee

75 gallon tank journal
post #70 of 100 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquanerd13 View Post
I like it! Great idea!

Bump: I could potentially make it as a Christmas present from me and my brothers. I can make and they provide the funding.
Now your thinking!
aquanerd13 likes this.

post #71 of 100 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Got some really Red Redshorn snails at the mega-auction at the Sacramento aquarium society and added them to the vase. I know absolutely nothing about snails- I hope they will be okay in here. I added about 6 in here, 5 in the Spec V and 5 in the Fluvel Flex. They look really great in the flex with the Bloody Mary shrimp.
I also picked up some nice Buce. Ill take a picture later.

The auction was kinda hard because I brought in 3 of my geophagus neambi to auction off. I sold them-- but, for 1/4 of what I originally paid for them. That was okay, because really, I didn't get rid of them for money- but to make room.

But, I didnt realize how upset I would be doing this. I felt pretty sick doing it. I most likely will never do this again... I grew these fish out from babies ( for the last 2 years)- and then bagged them up and sold them to people I didnt know. Ugh.

post #72 of 100 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 09:40 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

Always difficult parting with fish like that... but snails!

Snails are good. All you have to do is let them clean up all the things.
Discusluv likes this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #73 of 100 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I just joined The Aquatic Gardeners Association !
Looks like a cool club-- where the cool kids hand out- lol!

https://www.aquatic-gardeners.org/
Econde likes this.

post #74 of 100 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Woke up to all the water drained out of this vase and on counter and floor.
So upsetting.
Tore it all down.

post #75 of 100 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 05:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Woke up to all the water drained out of this vase and on counter and floor.
So upsetting.
Tore it all down.
How? Did it crack?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode