LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 100 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 04:32 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Its done! sort of
Extremely cloudy but get the idea...
Im very pleased how it turned out--- still need to add the crypt parva and some moss. And, of course, will be getting some tillandsia, small bromeliads, and such -

Looking into different lighting options as well because this one is not going to work.

Looking good Discusluv, can't wait to see the finished product.
Discusluv likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 100 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 02:08 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Looks gorgeous! I really like how it looks with that large piece of wood
Discusluv likes this.
post #48 of 100 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 02:11 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Very nice. I really like the trivet too! Adds to the appeal.
Discusluv likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

20g Long -Retired
10g Betta tank -Retired
1.1 Gallon Vase -Retired

post #49 of 100 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Thanks guys! Im really liking it too. Have some serious tannins going on this morning.

post #50 of 100 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 05:23 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (497/100%)
This looks great. Glad you went with a less deep sand bed.

Having the hardscape just above the water level is really nice. Gives you a lot of options for emersed mosses, liverworts, cool stuff like that.
Discusluv likes this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #51 of 100 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
This looks great. Glad you went with a less deep sand bed.

Having the hardscape just above the water level is really nice. Gives you a lot of options for emersed mosses, liverworts, cool stuff like that.
Thank you
I took out alot of sand and I may take out another rock today as well.

Please let me know of any emergent plants that would work for this. Ill look up liverworts.

post #52 of 100 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Just did a water change. May need to do one daily until the tannin's settle down.
Took out another rock and moved the plants around. The crypt parva should be here tomorrow.

aquanerd13 likes this.

post #53 of 100 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 02:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Did some more reworking. Received the crypt parva. Really unhappy with them as they were puny and lanky. I bought from a new vendor-- will definitionally be going back to the tried and true one again. Crypts are not a plant can readily get from members of the forum- so sometimes need to buy retail, unfortunately.

The slate slab that you see in vase at substrate is affixed to the base of the wood. I really wanted this to show- I still like it. But, others have said that it doesn't look very appealing so Im going to cover it with moss ( or something) of some type. Any suggestions? I dont want to take the vase apart again and bury it- because, like I said, I kinda like it; but, I think some moss will soften the edges.

I also added a crypt ( this one from a member-- and beautiful!) that I got recently that is green with a bright magenta like center. It was sold to me as a green gecko, but it just appears so much bigger than the ones I have seen before. It had been suggested that a red plant would look really nice submersed to accentuate the red of the bromeliad when add to wood outside of water. I agree! I may also get some red buce. Maybe I can put some moss and some red buce on slate piece. Thats a thought.

I dosed ammonia and added a couple snails from my Spec V- now for the long wait. [-- I didnt realize that my Siamese, Willamena, had snuck into the background of the picture. ]

deeda, Ken Keating1 and aquanerd13 like this.

post #54 of 100 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 10:22 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Personally I'm a big fan of the slate showing, so my vote is to leave it exposed!
Discusluv likes this.
post #55 of 100 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 02:20 PM
Algae Grower

I agree with germanblueramlover, if you like the slate, show it. You are the one that will be looking at it the most. It also looks like it made a cool little overhang/cave for stuff to hang out in.
post #56 of 100 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

It makes a good place for shrimp to hide!

Im going to the garden center to take a look at their airplants. Hopefully some nice ones will catch my eye

post #57 of 100 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Tillandsias and bromeliad added. I was going to do a red bromeilad, but I saw this orange one and fell in love. <3

Front:

Side:

Top side:

post #58 of 100 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 02:20 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

Looks great. I spy a large Tillandsia xerographica in that last shot.

T. usneoides/Spanish Moss will do really well in a setup like that if you allow it to completely dry out between waterings. I've had my two giant clumps (started with only a handful) of it for six or seven years. Flowered like crazy this year - first time it had bloomed with any significance since I've had it.

That Brom is huge!
Discusluv likes this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #59 of 100 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 02:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Im really pleased with the way it turned out. I really dont know how practical it is for shrimp- but...

The real problem is fertilizing the tilly's and bromeliad...

I can spray the tillandsias and bromeliad ( water in cup as well as spray?) with water a couple times weekly, but fertilizing would contaminate water below.

Would it be practical to take them off ( the bromeliad and tilly's are glued to wood) once every couple months and fertilize them in sink. Then, re-glue them in place? Essentially, not letting them root to wood.

I will try to let the spanish moss dry out in between waterings. Thanks for the tip. I tried to make the vase look good all the way around. The back is the least attractive, but will be better when grows in with plants.

post #60 of 100 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 03:08 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

I would try to come up with some kind of solution that doesn't involve keeping them glued down. Maybe some kind of wire stuck into or glued to the wood to sit them in? Just a circle with a twisted point. That way they can be easily picked up and dunked for watering.
Maryland Guppy and Discusluv like this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode